Neuter Appointment

3 posters

Go down

Neuter Appointment Empty Neuter Appointment

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 00:56

Neuter Appointment Ohnoesdeyto128538813878125000

Saxon loses his hairbls April 12th.

We're doing it through a local spay/neuter clinic with a discounted rate of $110 (Includes spay/neuter Distemper/Parvo and Rabies vaccinations) for anything that looks like a Pit Bull or Pit mix (and to Americans a lot of dogs look like Pit Bulls, including SBTs). It's a pretty great program and we'll save a great deal of money compared to how much it would cost at our vets!

Are there any special spay/neuter clinics in the UK (or wherever else everyone lives)?

Back to top Go down

Neuter Appointment Empty Re: Neuter Appointment

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 02:46

wow that sounds like a good deal!! The prices some vets charge for desexing over here is an outrage.. and you get his needles as well.. bonus!!
There is a vets in the capital of WA, Perth, in Maddington, that do special desexing days.. they only charge about half what vets around here charge... a great idea. I guess there might be others that do it as well.
Tell Saxon to be a brave boy....I got a lovely email once about doggies going to heaven and at the end the doggie asks..'and do I get my b*lls back??...( I guess Jethro would like to know that answer too!! ) Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 03:14

Haha, that's too funny! I think that they should have more low cost spay and neuter programs, it would get more people to do it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 08:05

my local kennels told me that our council are offering vouchers for reduced neutering on staffs because there are so many about, unfortunately i didnt qualify as im not on any benefits - cost £100 to have little woodster done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:31

Can't remember how much I paid now. I think I paid £30 but it should of been about £140. I got discount off dogs trust and qualified due to being on working tax credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 13:28

nicolalouises, there was one program where is would have only been $20 (about £12), but I didn't qualify. Lame!

BlueStaffBlue, £30 is a great deal!! Lucky!

At my local vet it's $250 (about £155) for just he spay/neuter surgery with anesthesia! Then the shots are between $30 (about £18) and $60 (about £37) each! It is really expensive here! Which is why I decided to get him done at a clinic where everything is included for less then half of the price. The only thing is he doesn't get to sleep over, he goes in at 8am and comes home at 5/5:30. He'll get pain meds to make him comfortable at home, but I'm sure he'll look very sad and pathetic when I pick him up!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 02 2011, 13:44

That really is a great deal I thnk it cost me £160!! Surprised
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:25

I paid £120 for my girl neutered 9 years ago at my vets not having my boy done unless it is ever needed for medical reasons Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:29

gem wrote:not having my boy done unless it is ever needed for medical reasons Smile

Same here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:35

I will always spay and neuter my pets. There are so many health and behavioral benefits and you won't have to worry about accidental litters if your pup gets out. Maybe it's a cultural thing or something, but I see no reason not to spay and neuter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:41

I'm not telling anybody not to neuter, just that I don't.

However, I would advise that people wait until the dog is mature before neutering.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Apr 03 2011, 01:09

Me too I dont tell anyone not to neuter ive had my girl done cause she hated seasons but waited till she was 3 years so did the best for her.
My boy I ocasionally use at stud so only would have him neutered for medical reasons
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 13:25

I know this isn't a debate on the pros and cons of desexing but... over here whenever a staffy goes ' missing ' most times they aren't desexed. But I have to add that anyone who would steal someones pet is a scumbag regardless !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 14:55

vanessa wrote:... over here whenever a staffy goes ' missing ' most times they aren't desexed.

But with a bit.ch you can't tell if she's neutered or not, unless there's a visible scar.

I know what you mean, but to me it's still not a good enough reason to neuter too early. If you keep your dog under proper control & supervision at all times, it's unlikely to 'go missing'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 15:33

over here when a female is desexed most vets put a tattoo in their ear while they are knocked out for the op to say she is desexed... ..as you say otherwise you can't tell with a girl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 15:36

vanessa wrote:over here when a female is desexed most vets put a tattoo in their ear while they are knocked out for the op to say she is desexed.

No, they don't do that here. That's a good idea!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 16:30

Caryll wrote:it's still not a good enough reason to neuter too early.

What age do you think is too early?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 19:45

I would let a bit.ch have at least 1 season, preferably 2. A dog should (in my opinion) be at least 18 months. I don't, however, want to start yet another pro/anti early neutering debate.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 03 2011, 20:06

Lol, personal choice I think. My first was done before her first season and she is a stunner and my second was also booked before her first season but started spotting on the day of the op so it was after her first season. She too is a stunner. Also don't want a debate, that was my choice and both girlies are great.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 03 2011, 21:38

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and don't want to debate either, but this all really surprises me!! It must be a cultural difference because I've always heard from vets and behaviorists that you should spay/neuter before they are sexually mature. In the US waiting till after a female's first season "went out of fashion," so to speak, at least 20 years ago. Early Spay and Neuter (as young as 8 weeks/2 pounds) is even being endorsed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, Humane Society of the United States, and the American Kennel Club. A lot of people I know have been surprised that Saxon is getting done at 6 months instead of earlier! I don't think I would be comfortable having a puppy done that's as young as 8 weeks, but I don't think that getting a pup done at 6 months is dangerous or damaging to the dog's health at all! I really wouldn't want to wait much longer to get it done then that!

Again, I hope no one thinks that I'm being argumentative, I'm just genuinely surprised to hear this because I've never encountered people who were against spaying and neutering before. I, honestly, didn't even know that it was a topic to debate, I thought there was consensus about it! At least that's how it appears here. Maybe that's just the way the media and popular culture spins it over here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 00:06

The whole problem is a matter of maturity. A dog neutered before they are mature will not reach their full potential. That doesn't mean they will be unhealthy or poor specimens - absolutely not - but they may never be mentally or physically mature. Mental and physical maturity can only be fully reached after the production of the sexual hormones.

However, I'd really like that to be an end of the discussion as we'll end up, once again, going round in circles. In the end, it all comes down to personal choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Apr 04 2011, 16:07

Can I just add most vets and behavourists advise to neuter as early as possible thats them they work with all breeds of dogs and we all understand why.
People who care about the continuety of the breed would never neuter a really nice example and thats not to make money by having it bred it is for the betterment of the breed (hope it makes sence) Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 16:56

For the record, I never said that I was against breeding when done ethically. Breeders keep the breed alive. There are a lot of unethical breeders, though, who have no business breeding their dogs (that's another post all together!). I just think that all dogs that are going to be kept as pets and not bred or shown should be neutered. I also think that people (breeders) with intact dogs need to be ULTRA careful with their dogs!! If your dog gets out and mates with a mutt, his/her exquisite breeding and fine pedigree are completely meaningless! The puppies will be mutts and will often end up unwanted in a shelter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 20:44

CatStina wrote:For the record, I never said that I was against breeding when done ethically. Breeders keep the breed alive. There are a lot of unethical breeders, though, who have no business breeding their dogs (that's another post all together!). I just think that all dogs that are going to be kept as pets and not bred or shown should be neutered. I also think that people (breeders) with intact dogs need to be ULTRA careful with their dogs!! If your dog gets out and mates with a mutt, his/her exquisite breeding and fine pedigree are completely meaningless! The puppies will be mutts and will often end up unwanted in a shelter.

I agree to a point. However, it's the unethical that don't neuter at all & breed for £££££s. The ethical & caring owners don't allow their dogs to mate indiscriminately (is that spelt right?) if they are entire, or neuter if that is what they want to do.

I wouldn't neuter unless it's for a medical reason, because I know that my dog will not get out & 'accidentally' mate with a bit.ch. He is always under control & if an in season bit.ch is around I go the opposite direction! I know that the risk of testicular/mammary cancer are higher in un neutered dogs, but the risks really aren't that high. I've had 6 male dogs & 4 females, only 1 was spayed (because of pyometra) and none had testicular/mammary cancer.

But that's my personal decision & I wouldn't advise anyone not to neuter - all I'm concerned with is that they allow the dog to mature & reach full potential first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 21:43

I'm glad that you are careful with Dempsey, I don't trust every pet owner to be as careful, though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 22:01

No, I agree, but they are the ones who won't neuter anyway!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 22:44

So true!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Apr 04 2011, 23:25

Im like Caryll and too am very careful but my boy is used limitedly on girls who are health tested and who would enhance each others qualities. Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Neuter Appointment Empty Neuter Day is Here!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 19:13

Saxon is at the clinic now getting neutered.
Neuter Appointment DSC_0172

This morning I took Saxon to the clinic to get Neutered! Last night we had quiet time cuddling on the couch. I had to drop him off at 7:45 this morning (and it's 45 minutes away, so it was an early morning) and I pick him up at 4:30/5pm tonight. It was actually a really nice facility and there were only a couple of people ahead of me in line. I was so sad leaving him, but he was so happy and excited to meet all the new people, I don't even think he noticed me leaving. It was really sad driving all the way home with his collar and leash in the seat next to me. I'm sure he'll be fine, but I'm not sure I will be until I get him back!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 19:18

He will be fine. Easy for others to say but try no to worry he will be home bashing the back of your legs with the cone on his head before you know it.
Big hugs and licks from Blue to you all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 19:18

hope eveything is ok- you'll miss him like crazy if only for a few hours, hugs to saxon x

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 12 2011, 19:19

Time will fly and Saxon will be fine! Hugs to you, but its keeping him quiet that will be the hard part, MissR dog Blondy was done yesterday and she was the same! He'll be home before you know it! >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Apr 12 2011, 19:25

Im sure he will be okay but we do worry thats what mummys do Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 23:32

Home from the vets!
Neuter Appointment IMG_0380

His incision doesn't look bad at all!
Neuter Appointment IMG_0385

He's napping on the couch next to me as I type! He was such a good boy! The vet wanted to keep him and I think he half wanted to stay. She put him down expecting him to stay sitting next to me and he followed her back into the back room!!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 12 2011, 23:56

Great stuff, home now (in his own time)! Hugs to all, and a quick recovery Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 08:02

Blue sends big licks and cuddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 08:06

aww bless little Saxon !! When Jethro had his op done I told him it will make a man of him !!! Laughing

I love all the beauty spots he has on his tummy! Big gentle hug for Saxon!

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Wed Apr 13 2011, 09:10

What a brave boy Saxon Smile
Glad he's ok and back home with you Smile
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 16:43

Thanks all! He's doing great. A little sleepier then normal, but when he's awake he doesn't seem to know that he had surgery! I don't know how I'm supposed to keep him still for 7-10 days!!

I love his spotty little belly, too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 14:22

..how is Saxon doing today??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:48

He's doing well, kinda going stir crazy from being stuck inside. His belly looks good, too. Looks to be healing well.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:53

Pleased to hear!! Its hard keeping them still Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14 2011, 18:56

Oh I hated the time afterwards more than him I think. Just wanna take them out and watch them run free.
Don't worry he will be back to flying about before you know it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15 2011, 14:22

..good on you Saxon !!! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down