how much exercise is too much? She wants more...

2 posters

Go down

how much exercise is too much? She wants more...  Empty how much exercise is too much? She wants more...

Post by Lunasmum Sat Apr 02 2011, 00:05

Luna can walk and play from dusk to dawn but I have read several posts that say her exercise should be limited or she could be damaged later in life.

Currently she has free reign of the garden and we take her out walk in the local woods or fields for about 40 mins each time. This usually is only once per day however, today we did 2 walks.

I am worried that we are overdoing it / underdoing it - I am just not sure doh

Donna xx doh
Lunasmum
Lunasmum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

how much exercise is too much? She wants more...  Empty Re: how much exercise is too much? She wants more...

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 00:08

The 40 minute walks are overoing it. Short on lead walks are ok, and then free running/playing for about 10 or 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day is ok at her age. Just make sure that if she gets tired & stops you call it a day. Garden play is fine because she'll stop & sleep when she needs to.

Back to top Go down

how much exercise is too much? She wants more...  Empty Re: how much exercise is too much? She wants more...

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 00:27

I had never heard of this!! Glad I read it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunasmum Sat Apr 02 2011, 00:36

Caryll wrote:The 40 minute walks are overoing it. Short on lead walks are ok, and then free running/playing for about 10 or 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day is ok at her age. Just make sure that if she gets tired & stops you call it a day. Garden play is fine because she'll stop & sleep when she needs to.

Thank you Caryll. She never seems to tire...(although on the walks I have noticed that her ears tend to go back after a certain amount of time which I now think maybe a sign of her tiredness.)

New regime tomorrow Smile

Donna
xx

Lunasmum
Lunasmum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:54

May be wrong, but I think the ears going back while walking is normaly a sign that the dog is in the zone of walking with it's pack.
In the wild the adults will walk for miles to hunt for food.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Apr 02 2011, 23:57

All dogs are different and some require more excercise than others you will no how much with time and experience so dont worry Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down