Inverted canines

Go down

Inverted canines  Empty Inverted canines

Post by Kell Fri Jun 14 2013, 14:34

Anybody have any experience with this? 

Would really like to hear from anyone with a dog who had/has inverted canines, however any information or knowledge would be greatly appreciated Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Inverted canines  Empty Re: Inverted canines

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14 2013, 15:22

I've just had a bit of a read up on this kell, I'll be interested to see the replies, I also checked darcy's teeth just to check Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14 2013, 15:35

I believe one of Dempsey's canines is inverted. Depending on how severe it is, it may not be a problem. It's usually only a problem if the canine digs into the hard palate, in which case it would be likely to cause pain and may need to be extracted.

If the dog is young, the canines can be corrected by a vet or dental vet. Also, if he's young, you could try getting a rigid rubber ball (slightly bigger than his lower jaw) for him to chew on. This can help to push the canines back out. But go to a vet for advice first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14 2013, 16:36

Both Dempsey's lower canines are instanding (inverted isn't the word commonly used now as it means turned around, which they're not). One is worse than the other & he may need surgical correction at some point as every so often he gets sore gums at the top where the lower canines dig in. One side isn't too bad, but the other side isn't good.

Do you think Chiquito has a problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Fri Jun 14 2013, 22:46

Thanks Caryll and Eleanor.

Yes he has a problem Caryll - he had both of his lower canines removed when he was younger as both were inside the top jaw and one was sitting into the palate. The hope was that by removing them there would be room for the adult ones to come through in the correct position .. he has a kong each day (as these are the correct shape to help as per the ball you discussed Eleanor), and plays tug games (helps to move them into the desired position). 

He also has a dental check up monthly .... he went for this yesterday. The adult canines have now erupted and unfortunately it looks like the same thing is going to happen. It was discussed that they may decide to go where they are supposed to as they grow more, but I have been asked to consider options for treatment:

1. He can have surgery to remove pieces of gum on the outside of the teeth to encourage the canines to grow out instead of in .. no guarantee this will work but it has been successful as a treatment

2. We can leave them to grow to their full height and cut off + cap both if they impact the palate (this is what is usually done)

3. Orthodontics ... exorbitantly expensive but can be used to produce a standard mouth (the dentist tells me it is usually only show dogs that go ahead with this)

We need to go back in and see the dentist in two weeks and I really do not know which way to go Sad
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 15 2013, 18:16

The dentist should be able to give further advice. If I were you, I wouldn't go for number 3 unless you have no other option.

Let us know how it goes at the dentist! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 00:02

Avoid no. 3. VERY expensive & often not covered by insurance.

I'd let them grow & see if they are a problem (meanwhile saving up for a possible operation!). If possible I'd go for capping, but removal wouldn't hamper him much & he'd soon get used to it if that's the way it had to be done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 00:03

P.S. With no. 3 you wouldn't be able to show the dog anyway - a dog cannot be shown after reconstructive (cosmetic) surgery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sun Jun 16 2013, 02:32

Thanks again Eleanor and Caryll Smile

Was leaning toward the capping as it seems to be the way most dentists/owners choose to go (and is suggested in most of the information I have managed to find about the issue), so it is heartening to hear further agreement with this.

Unfortunately none of the dental work is covered by insurance Caryll, so no matter which option I choose it will need to be paid for outside of this.

Have never had any plans to show him .. but we were made aware of his teeth by the breeder and offered the option of not taking him because of it, so have known since day one he would not be 'show standard'. Not that I have really looked into it, but I didn't realise a dog couldn't be shown after having work done .. interesting.

Thanks again Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 16 2013, 10:38

No problem! Smile Hope it all works out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down