update on Vinny

4 posters

Go down

update on Vinny Empty update on Vinny

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03 2013, 17:47

Popped Vin off to the vet this afternoon after saying earlier he has odd bumps on his hind leg. They did a skin scrape and said where demodex is usually very easy to identify there were a few mites, but were very hard to see. So he diagnosed sarcoptic mange, and has given him a week of antibiotics and a shot while we were there.

I commented that I feel sorry for the little guy having to go through 3 months of dips and baths as it dries the skin so horribly and we are about to hit winter here - and he is a very heavy boy to try and bath! To which the vet replied that there was no need for that - he can come in once a week for 4 weeks for a course of injections. I do hope they work well. Has anyone heard of a course of shots for mange?

Otherwise, the Vinmeister is a happy little chap. In fact, he came back from the vet with more energy than I've ever seen - he ran his entire walk!

Roxy went for her annual check up and the vet even said he didn't need to ask how she is, she's so overly friendly. In fact, the little madam jumped up at a cat carrier and terrified the wits off the cat and its owner Surprised Laughing Then proceeded to greet two old what looked like staff X EBTs. And then tried to jump on a little girl with a puppy. And while her brother was on the vet's table, she stood up, two paws on the table to check out what was going on. Bet she was thinking "hurt my brother and I'll hurt you lovely vet" Tongues My nerves!!!!

Back to top Go down

update on Vinny Empty Re: update on Vinny

Post by Kathy Mon Jun 03 2013, 18:45

No, sorry Lisa I haven't heard of a shot for Mange but then never had to treat it. Hope it works for Vinnie though, please keep us posted on his progress.

Sounds like Roxy was the same as Rocky this morning at the vets, all Ok no worries. thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03 2013, 18:47

Kathy wrote:No, sorry Lisa I haven't heard of a shot for Mange but then never had to treat it. Hope it works for Vinnie though, please keep us posted on his progress.

Sounds like Roxy was the same as Rocky this morning at the vets, all Ok no worries. thumbs up

Thanks Kathy, I will certainly keep you updated.

Yes, little stars we have Big Grin Vin was very good too with his skin scrape and shot. I think his sister has a calming effect Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Jun 03 2013, 19:56

I've not heard of shots, Daisy had Demodex and was treated once a week with oral medicine called Ivermectin along side the dips, could they have meant that?

I don't have any experience with scarcoptic mange, I thought that once you killed the mites that was it, also that it was contagious?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 06:02

Sazzle wrote:I've not heard of shots, Daisy had Demodex and was treated once a week with oral medicine called Ivermectin along side the dips, could they have meant that?

I don't have any experience with scarcoptic mange, I thought that once you killed the mites that was it, also that it was contagious?

The shots are apparently instead of the dip and Ivermectin. Vet said it's a better option as all those baths dry them out and I remember how lethargic and almost depressed Roxy became with the dip. I read that with sarcoptic the mites are apparently contagious for the first 48 hours (I stand corrected). Vet did ask if we've been itchy though, which of course makes one itchy!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:39

Awww Vin, I hope you heal quickly! Sounds like an eventful day at the vets! So much easier when they enjoy it, Moo knows the way there now and like your 2 she is so good we get little things for free Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:41

That's nice Janey - does Moo also make a trip to the vet's look like the best outing ever?! My two were knackered from all the excitement clown

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:43

Yep she loves it Laughing I got her used to it when she was young then for the past 6 months it was like her second home anyway! Best advise for dogs that don't like it is to pop in even if you need not be there! I think Moo, like Roxy likes the attention Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:44

Aw, our gorgeous little monkeys Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:46

Aren't they just Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Tue Jun 04 2013, 08:50

Sounds like an eventful day Smile Hope all is well again with Vinny soon!

I have heard of the injections (had actually never heard of the dips until I came on here) however I have never had to go ahead with them, Chiquito had a little issue with mange when he was little but it went away fairly quickly on its own
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 09:12

Aww hugs for vin, sounds like Roxy really enjoyed the vets Big Grin I've not heard of the shots, perhaps it's a new thing, let us know how you get on Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 04 2013, 09:16

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jun 04 2013, 21:54

RoxysMum wrote:
Sazzle wrote:I've not heard of shots, Daisy had Demodex and was treated once a week with oral medicine called Ivermectin along side the dips, could they have meant that?

The shots are apparently instead of the dip and Ivermectin. Vet said it's a better option as all those baths dry them out and I remember how lethargic and almost depressed Roxy became with the dip. I read that with sarcoptic the mites are apparently contagious for the first 48 hours (I stand corrected). Vet did ask if we've been itchy though, which of course makes one itchy!!!
Laughing Yes it does!! I wonder what the shots are then? The dips are awful, they made Daisy really poorly at first, got easier as time went on though. Not really sure if the ivermectin gave any side effect, you couldn't tell along side the dips!
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 05 2013, 05:54

Aw, at least Daisy mended well Smile

Vinny's had just one and a half days on antibiotics and of course the shots he got at the vet and you know, they little guy has more energy than I have ever known. And his scabbies from the sarcoptic are healing at a crazy rate. I'm very impressed with the shots so far Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Jun 05 2013, 13:16

Ah that's great news Big Grin
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female