Housebreaking - gone backwards

3 posters

Go down

Housebreaking - gone backwards Empty Housebreaking - gone backwards

Post by KarenGoodall Thu May 30 2013, 09:55

Hi Everyone,

Colin has been doing so well with his training recently but when it comes to housetraining, the little bleeder just goes where he wants.

He's taken to chewing up 'clean' puppy pads and I even caught him peeing on his bed in his crate yesterday. He made no attempt to go outside or even indicate that he needs.

Each time he does it, he's not even having a full pee!

Spent 3 hours cleaning the carpet on Saturday and had hoped that by using the pet stain and odour remover it would discourage this.

He can start going out for walks on Saturday, does anyone find once they start going out for walks it speeds up the process.

I know he is only 12 weeks and still a baby, but he was doing so well, so don't understand why he has gone backwards with it??? Any advice from experienced owners gratefully received.... tis getting a little frustrating! Good job we all adore him!
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Colin
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Housebreaking - gone backwards Empty Re: Housebreaking - gone backwards

Post by KarenGoodall Thu May 30 2013, 09:56

NB: when I meant each time he does it, I mean each time he does it in the living room, it's like he knows he shouldn't be and then holds it and then comes back to finish off, even though I pick him up and put him either outside or on his pee pad.
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Thu May 30 2013, 10:02

Chiquito is going through a similar stage at the moment - he has been outside toilet trained for ages now and had not had any accidents at all, then suddenly decided that inside was the only place to pee about two weeks ago Rolling Eyes

We have gone back to basics, and am taking him out to the toilet at regular intervals, especially after he wakes up or has eaten. I also take him out on lead to go at night before bed - helps to stop him becoming distracted Smile

Patience is the key .. and do remember that you have a good few months to go before he gains full control of his bladder Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 10:03

They don't have full control of their bladder until about 6 months of age. Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/toilet_training_your_staffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 10:05

It will get easier once your able to walk him as he will be going more often and gettin more praise so he will quickly learn outside is the best place.

Are you praising him enough when he does 'go' on the puppy pad with treats and a big fuss. He wont have full bladder control until about 6 months (if i remember rightly) so accidents will happen now and again. Try a firm 'no' when he goes anywhere but the pad and then put him on the pad, showing him where he has to pee.

Be patient, these things take time and some pups take longer than others to train Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by KarenGoodall Thu May 30 2013, 10:11

Hi jstaff, thanks for this, I think the frustrating thing is more that he did it on his bed. He's been doing brilliantly with his crate on a night and most nights it's dry. I take his food and water up at 9pm

He takes himself off to bed at 10pm, I get up at 2 to let him out and he is always dry and clean, I then get up at 6 with him and again he is dry and clean.

The problem seems to be when we are there, he has taken to just squatting anywhere (not even in the same place each time) and piddling! He will then other times go through to his mat.... it's almost like he just doesn't want to go outside to pee, its funny but frustrating at the same time as I get no indication just before so that I can get him outside! He's taken to diving away from me because he knows I'm going to pick him up and move him! AArrggh

Kita90 - we praise him like idiots when he is getting it right!! the whole family tell him @goodboy and one of us gives him a treat!.... if anyone could see us from outside, it would be highly entertaining Big Grin
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 10:13

He is very much still a baby, so praise, patience & persistence is the key, it does get easier i promise. Go back to basics and he'll get it. Have you had him checked for a uti? with you saying hes not having a full pee.
Darcy was excellent at learning toilet training, she was trained by 12 wks (fab) but around 18/20 wks she decided she was going to pee on the landing carpet!!! I just cleaned it up, no fuss it lasted about a week or so and she went back to normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu May 30 2013, 10:22

Hi I'm not sure if you can take him in the back garden or not but the way I toilet trained Zeus was to take him out every half an hour in the back garden, and I kept saying 'go toilet'. The majority of the time he wouldn't go, in this case, I ignored him and let him back in. When he did go, I praised him alot and gave him a treat. Soon enough, he realised 'go toilet' actually meant to go to the toilet and it was pretty easy from there.

He never got on with puppy pads, we used them for a few days and all he kept doing was chewing them up. It did take a while for him to completely grasp toilet training but its much more easier when you start to take him for walks. He did have his odd accident here and there, most recently a couple of months ago, when he randomly walked in the living room and pee'd on the sofa thinking , which I didn't get at all but it happens.

Zeus has got to the point now where he'll pee/poo in the morning once he gets up, but then he won't do anything else until he gets a walk. Be patient and he'll get round!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 11:20

goldie87 wrote:Hi I'm not sure if you can take him in the back garden or not but the way I toilet trained Zeus was to take him out every half an hour in the back garden, and I kept saying 'go toilet'. The majority of the time he wouldn't go, in this case, I ignored him and let him back in. When he did go, I praised him alot and gave him a treat. Soon enough, he realised 'go toilet' actually meant to go to the toilet and it was pretty easy from there.

He never got on with puppy pads, we used them for a few days and all he kept doing was chewing them up. It did take a while for him to completely grasp toilet training but its much more easier when you start to take him for walks. He did have his odd accident here and there, most recently a couple of months ago, when he randomly walked in the living room and pee'd on the sofa thinking , which I didn't get at all but it happens.

Zeus has got to the point now where he'll pee/poo in the morning once he gets up, but then he won't do anything else until he gets a walk. Be patient and he'll get round!

Same, really. As you say yourself, 12 weeks is still very young & he doesn't do it to spite you! Big Grin He just hasn't quite grasped what's required yet, but he will!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down