Toilet troubles

3 posters

Go down

Toilet troubles Empty Toilet troubles

Post by jasmyn Fri May 24 2013, 13:57

Hi, Sapphire has been here 2 whole days now and we have got her a bed and everything. We have set up a designated toilet area in the kitchen, near her water bowl and feeding place. I am aware of the times she goes, every 30 mins etc after sleep after dinner etc but she will just not go on the pads. She doesn't even give a signal when she goes, literally one sniff and weeeeeee (or poooooooo). We've said NO! then took her to the right place. but she just runs straight off and plays. She wees and poos soooo many times in the day its unbelievable. Is there anything I can do to make her wee/poo on the pads?

Thanks

P.S The reason she is being trained in the house is because she hasn't had her injections yet and we have foxes/cats/slugs etc that roam the back garden. As we are going away in a few days for a week, we are going to do them as soon as we get back x
jasmyn
jasmyn
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphirre
Dog(s) Ages : 9 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Toilet troubles Empty Re: Toilet troubles

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 14:01

The first mistake you have made is the pads full stop. If you want to train her to go outside you need to take her outside from the start. Secondly, if you want to leave pads down when you go out..don't leave them beside her food it is very unhygenic and no animal will choose to use the toilet beside where they eat. Who looking after her when you are away?

Back to top Go down

Post by jasmyn Fri May 24 2013, 14:47

Hayley wrote:The first mistake you have made is the pads full stop. If you want to train her to go outside you need to take her outside from the start. Secondly, if you want to leave pads down when you go out..don't leave them beside her food it is very unhygenic and no animal will choose to use the toilet beside where they eat. Who looking after her when you are away?

Yes true about the food and toilet, ill take that into mind. She is coming Cornwall with us. And the reason for not taking her out is because she hasn't had her injections and we don't want her getting diseases.
jasmyn
jasmyn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:11

Thats understandable. I would however put the pads at the door, that way she knows thats the general area to go when you need to go potty eventually you will know when she needs let out cause she will go there.Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by jasmyn Fri May 24 2013, 16:52

Hayley wrote:Thats understandable. I would however put the pads at the door, that way she knows thats the general area to go when you need to go potty eventually you will know when she needs let out cause she will go there.Smile

Yeah I just think its perseverance. She went on it about 5 mins ago yaaay Smile Hopefully it wasn't a fluke lol x
jasmyn
jasmyn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 24 2013, 16:54

You really should try & get the first injections in before you go away. Then you can get the 2nd lot done shortly after you get back.

I don't like pads, to me they seem dangerous. They obviously have absorbent crystals (or similar) in them, and should the pup decide to chew/swallow some of it there could be serious repercussions!

Despite the foxes etc, I'd still take her outside every hour just so she can do her business.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Fri May 24 2013, 17:09

You can take her outside for a minute just to go to the bathroom! Just dont take her on walks or let her near other dogs. Also just be very careful and keep her away from other dogs mess! I would do that over the pads!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Fri May 24 2013, 18:17

If you want to use the pads you can get an attractant spray from PAH which I found useful when training Otis. When we first had Otis he went to the toilet everywhere but the pad but I think that was just because he was settling and finding out whats what.

Lots of praise and encouragement and if you decide to use the spray, spray in on the pad when you put it down and call her over and get her to have a sniff she may go there and then, but just keep tabs on her and after she has eaten take her straight to the pad.

Definitely put the pad near the door if you can this will make it a lot easier when it comes to going outside, if you're worried about diseases until the injections are complete.
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down