When to spay?

Go down

When to spay? Empty When to spay?

Post by Honeys mum Thu May 23 2013, 11:50

Would like to get people's opinions on the best age to spay?My vet says it can be done before or after first season, so as early as 5-6 months, which seems a bit early too me. Honey has an umbilical hernia so this will be fixed during the spay op, but I would feel better waiting maybe two seasons as this seems to from what I've read be the best time in terms of her development and bone growth. I'm not sure if it would be ok to leave her hernia that long though, it's only tiny. What do people think?
Honeys mum
Honeys mum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dog(s) Ages : Honey and rocky
Dog Gender(s) : White with tan patch/spots and red sable (Pom)
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

When to spay? Empty Re: When to spay?

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 11:54

i would be inclined to wait until after a couple of seasons as well and re the hernia it could easy right its self under it own steam as iv known of a couple of pups at 10 weeks that have had small hernia and never needed surgery Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeys mum Thu May 23 2013, 11:58

That's reassuring, the vets seemed really keen to push me into early spay, apparently it eliminates the risk of mammary cancer or something like that. I can see the benefit of that but I don't want to affect her growth. I've got no intention of breeding her or anything like that, just want her to be fully grown before I go messing about with her bits lol
Honeys mum
Honeys mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 13:01

spaying early only slightly hinders growth not really anough to notice to be fair but deff has an effect on maturing in my opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 15:37

If the hernia is that small I wouldn't be concerned - a lot of them right themselves in due course.

Spaying early can slightly reduce the chance of mammary cancer as opposed to a later spaying, but the effect is minimal. However, early spaying will delay the closure of the growth plates (leading to a leggier, narrower dog) and can 'fix' puppy mentality. Plus, you run the risk of nervous aggression and underdeveloped genitals.

If you're going to spay I would always advise after a first season at the very least, and preferably two seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 16:02

its a personal choice. im of the mind, if it isn't broken it doesnt need fixed. I have my girl spayed as i got very paranoid after she got stolen that she would get taken again and used for breeding fighting dogs.

If you are sure you want to spay, i would leave it until at least 2 years of age.

vets push for an early spay because it is easier for them to do, there is no risk of getting in there and there being a pregnancy or for the bitch to be in season. less work for them, less chance for things to go agasint them and cost them in legal issues and compensations. that is the only reason!

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeys mum Thu May 23 2013, 16:44

I have to spay because we have a male pomeranian also, if it wasnt for him and the hernia, which hopefully could correct it self, I probably wouldnt spay as i do feel like id be taking her womanhood away! I dont want to risk any accidents in the future. you all seem to be saying pretty much what I've read around on and definitely, lovely as she is now don't want her to stay in puppy mode! The vets were really crap tbh they didn't say anything about it affecting bone growth or owt like that. I will wait until she's around 18momths- 2ish as that seems to be the best time without leaving it too long. Thanks for everyone's opinions, really helpful Smile
Honeys mum
Honeys mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:31

Just make sure your Pom doesn't get hold of a ladder..... I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 23 2013, 19:59

Can the pom not be done? its much easier op for males.

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeys mum Thu May 23 2013, 22:08

It's a good idea but don't think hubby would go for it, the poms his lol. The Pom we've only had a few days he was an unexpected addition, my sis in laws friend had a relationship break up and couldn't have him at her new place, the ex boyfriend had rang the RSPCA as he didn't want him and I somehow agreed to him coming to us! Soft touch I think :/ it's turned out really well though because him and honey seem to really love each other so far and he's teachig her a few manners too. Tbf it would be easier to neuter him and he could be done before honey even has a season as he's 18 months old now. Just how to broach the subject with the mr lol
Honeys mum
Honeys mum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down