Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help!

2 posters

Go down

Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help! Empty Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help!

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 10:30

Chiquito has had a recurrent (most days) rash on his tummy/neck/under arms - he chews/scratches at his belly often as well as his sides and paws (may be a rash there but I can't see anything through the fur) .... today I found that he has a ten cent piece size crusty sore just behind his arm pit area and two dry bleeding sore spots around two of his nipples. (He has also been off his food for just over a week, has eaten little since Monday, nothing today and ..... his poop smells disgusting sick ).

The vet gave him a full check over today - other than weight loss, the rash and a mouth full of very wobbly puppy teeth/erupting adult teeth all with him is well. So we now have anti inflammatory meds, wet food (sooo not looking forward to that coming out the other end, but at least he is eating) and a cream (neocort) to apply to the sores and rash. She has also suggested that I do need to look at his diet.

The problem is that I have looked at his diet - this is the fourth type of biscuit I have tried him on, and he now has a mix of raw/dry .... each time we change things go well for a time then we end up back at the rash and upset tummy Crying or Very sad

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help! Empty Re: Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help!

Post by janey Wed May 22 2013, 10:35

Have you thought about a fish diet? I had massive probs with Moo and from advice here I put her on a fish kibble, cut out all chicken and it did wonders, for now >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help! Empty Re: Rash, upset tummy, allergies - help!

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 10:37

Have you had an allergy test done if you think it's a reaction based on food

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 10:40

janey wrote:

Have you thought about a fish diet? I had massive probs with Moo and from advice here I put her on a fish kibble, cut out all chicken and it did wonders, for now >Big Grin<

I did the same with darcy, she's on a white fish & potato kibble, & the odd raw fish. She improved massively, we do still have the odd flare up but the vet thinks its a grass pollen/sap allergy, we rub her down after walks and wash her feet too to try and tackle this, I hope he feels well again soon, >Big Grin< >Big Grin< for you both Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 10:44

janey wrote:

Thanks Janey. What kibble are you using?
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 10:47

Darcy-may wrote:
janey wrote:

I did the same with darcy, she's on a white fish & potato kibble, & the odd raw fish. She improved massively, we do still have the odd flare up but the vet thinks its a grass pollen/sap allergy, we rub her down after walks and wash her feet too to try and tackle this, I hope he feels well again soon, >Big Grin< >Big Grin< for you both Smile

Thanks Hayley. I do rub him down all over after each walk and when he comes inside at night for the same reason - the vet (and here) suggested grass allergy when it first starting happening.

What kibble do you use?

We use Arden grange, ocean whitefish & potato Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 10:50

jstaff wrote:Have you had an allergy test done if you think it's a reaction based on food

Didn't know you could do this - up and to today the vet has said that the most common (and likely) reason for the rash is contact allergy so we haven't really discussed food allergy.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 10:53

Have you thought, as Janey says, trying a fish based food, or even going completely raw?

Have you tried putting anything else on the sore spots other than the cream the vet's given you? That sounds like a steroid cream?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 22 2013, 11:05

She was on Fish4Dogs, and prior James Wellbeloved White fish Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 22 2013, 11:05

Caryll wrote:Have you thought, as Janey says, trying a fish based food, or even going completely raw?

Have you tried putting anything else on the sore spots other than the cream the vet's given you? That sounds like a steroid cream?

With advise from the forum we use dermacton cream, it works wonders, as caryll said your vets one sounds like steroid cream. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 11:06

Caryll wrote:Have you thought, as Janey says, trying a fish based food, or even going completely raw?

On the rash itself I have used aloe ointment, green and chamomile tea/oatmeal rinses and rubbing coconut oil into the dry patches. He has fish oil tablets each day and I've added salmon to his diet. I have also tried wiping his skin folds (necks, underarms) with apple cider vinegar (I am told it can remove yeast etc that can cause issues). Happy to try anything else you can think of though as yes, the cream is steroidal.

I have not tried fish based, am definately open to the idea though. Have definitely considered a full raw diet, but to be honest Caryll am really unsure how to go about it

Last edited by Kell on Wed May 22 2013, 11:22; edited 1 time in total
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 22 2013, 11:09

Darcy-may wrote:

With advise from the forum we use dermacton cream, it works wonders, as caryll said your vets one sounds like steroid cream. Smile

Thanks Hayley - will look it up Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down