What Wormer?

4 posters

Go down

What Wormer? Empty What Wormer?

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 12:50

What worming treatment do you all use? Is Advocate the only thing that protects against lungworm? My vets just posted about it on Facebook and I realised I don't think the one I use covers lungworm. Or is it not something common enough that you need to worm against?

Back to top Go down

What Wormer? Empty Re: What Wormer?

Post by Kell Thu May 16 2013, 12:53

I use Drontal for intestinal ... I have no idea if it covers lung worm though (I have never heard of it before!)

Not sure of the name of the heartwormer, it is a chewy love heart though Smile
Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 13:38

I have Dolpac every 3 months and advocet every 2 months. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 13:49

I use drontal plus, but now you mention it Tara I not sure if it covers lungworm?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 14:43

I use Milbemax. It doesn't actually prevent lungworm but it drastically reduces the chances of getting it.

I won't use advocate because it's far too harsh for monthly use.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu May 16 2013, 16:43

Drontal here to Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 16:45

Darcy-may wrote:I use drontal plus, but now you mention it Tara I not sure if it covers lungworm?

No, it doesn't.

The only ones that do (as far as I'm aware, and I could well be wrong) are Advocate, but only if it's used every month, and Milbemax which reduces the chances of the dog getting lungworm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 18:55

diatomaceous earth for worms, carrot seed oil for lungworm Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 19:39

ella wrote:diatomaceous earth for worms, carrot seed oil for lungworm Smile

I read something about that recently. How do you use it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:11

Caryll wrote:I use Milbemax. It doesn't actually prevent lungworm but it drastically reduces the chances of getting it.

Why is it too harsh? The vet did say only use it every few months which was different to what another vet told me. I am a bit worried now Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:18

inez maria wrote:
Caryll wrote:I use Milbemax. It doesn't actually prevent lungworm but it drastically reduces the chances of getting it.

Why is it too harsh? The vet did say only use it every few months which was different to what another vet told me. I am a bit worried now Straight Face

It's only effective against lungworm if it's used every month as far as I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:20

Caryll wrote:
Darcy-may wrote:I use drontal plus, but now you mention it Tara I not sure if it covers lungworm?

No, it doesn't.

The only ones that do (as far as I'm aware, and I could well be wrong) are Advocate, but only if it's used every month, and Milbemax which reduces the chances of the dog getting lungworm.

Is milbemax available online caryll? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:32

i use milbemax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:34

Darcy-may wrote:
Caryll wrote:

No, it doesn't.

Is milbemax available online caryll? Big Grin

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you need a prescription. Sad

I found this online - it was in response to somebody's question about which wormer to use for Lungworm...I've highlighted the bits that make me not want to use Advocate at any time, unless absolutely necessary!

"Ok my research is throwing up some very inconsistent things.One thing I keep reading is how perfectly safe Advocate is. One site even claimed it was non-carcinogenic or non-cancer forming but this was not the official Bayer site.

Ok let's go through this and hope its not too complicated.

First off, Anglostrongylus vasorum or the French Heartworm is one of 4 main lungworms that can infect your dog.

Advocate contains moxidectrin and imidacloprid the first can be fatal and indeed cause poisoning and neurological issues if ingested and the latter is highly toxic to honey bees and mildly toxic to some birds. Imidacloprid is a pesticide and is used crops. However its use has been suspended in France and several other EU countries due to its effect upon honey bees and other wildlife.

Another name for moxidectrin is Ivermectin.

Panacur has the active ingredient Fenbendazole. The only usage I can find is as a dewormer. It has shown toxicity when ingested by certain birds and reptiles. I can find no toxicity evidence reported for cats.or dogs.

Milbemax is Mibemycin oxide, and Prazquantril is another wormer. The latter is a wormer known as Drontal or Droncit amongst other names. This wormer has a 90% incidence of causing diarrhea and/or vomiting after being ingested. High doses can cause increased symptoms.

Milbemycin oxide is tolerated well by dogs even those with multiple drug resistance.

Interceptor is a Milbemycin oxime only preparation and only available in the USA.

The four types of lungworm are:

1) Anglostrogylus vasorum or French Heartworm
2) Oslerus osleri
3) Filaroides birth
4) Crenosoma vulpis

Noah's compendium states that:

ADVOCATE: only treats 1 & 4

PANACUR: only treats 2

MILBEMAX: reduces level of infection in 1 & 4

However the Merck Veterinary handbook srates that Fenbendazole treats lungworms 1, 2 & 4 and also protects against Giardia.

Now this is where it is complicated. Panacur is Fenbendazole. Intavets website who manufacture Panacur say it only treats the infestation of Oslerus osleri. If this is so then it is of no use against Anglostrongylus vasorum so why is this used in high doses to treat it if the manufacturer and Noah's both state it won't treat the lungworm that Advocate prevents?
Mercks state Fenbendazole will treat the lungworms listed 1, 2 & 4 so they believe it can treat the lungworm treated by Advocate.

So why does Panacur not state this on their packaging?

Now, quandary number 2 is that Merck state and I quote "Another option for prevention of canine A. vasorum is mibemycin oxime ...."
in other words Milbemax. However as it also contains Praziquantel which is a wormer it would be safer to treat with a Mibemycin only formula which is Interceptor but that's only available in the US.Milbemax manufacturers also only state that it "reduces the level of infestation of A. vasorum".

Furthermore, A. vasorum has a pre patent period of 40-49 days. This means symptoms will not show until 40-49 days after infestation. So technically a dog could and I make no claims to this, could be treated every 5 weeks with Advocate and still be within the pre patent period. As I am not a vet I don't suggest you do this. This information is only for reference.

It also means one could technically treat with the appropriate dose of Panacur or Milbemax within the pre patent period.

The most worrying thing about Advocate is that it attacks the central nervous system of the parasite. There are no publicly published studies that I can find which show the long term effects on the central nervous system of dogs routinely treated monthly over a life span.

I know Advocate affected the medicine used to stimulate the nerves in Tali's eye by suppressing the nerve. This was unscientific but the opthamologist concurred with the information I found out and suggested using Milbemax for lungworm prevention.

I hope I have made this easy to follow. Although Advocate is stated as a treatment and cure, Milbemax according to Merck is a.preventative and Fenbendazole or Panacur covers more types of lungworm.
"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:37

Very helpful Caryll would the vets have Milbemax and could I change?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 20:42

I don't know if all vets stock it - I would have thought so. I know at least 3 vets near me (including my own) keep it & recommend it as a stand alone wormer (without the flea killing properties of Advocate).

But if they don't they can give you a prescription (normally costs about £5) and you can get it online.

I know it's cheaper online, but I get it direct from the vet - Dempsey has to have two tablets which costs about £12.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16 2013, 21:34

If I start using it would I need something like frontline for fleas and such? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 17:12

Caryll wrote:
ella wrote:diatomaceous earth for worms, carrot seed oil for lungworm Smile

I read something about that recently. How do you use it?

The carrot seed oil i use this way as advised by a holistic lady Smile

give it diluted over their food, in coconut oil or good quality olive oil

harvey gets one drop, chance two drops

give that once a day for 7 - 10 days without missing a day, and do this 2-3 times a year

i do early spring, mid summer and late autumn Smile

hope that helps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 19:49

Thanks, I might give it a try! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 21:14

inez maria wrote:If I start using it would I need something like frontline for fleas and such? Big Grin

I would only treat for fleas if you have a problem with them . Tilly has had 1 flea treatment course (we think she picked them up off the lads dog)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 17 2013, 21:23

I don't treat for fleas unless I actually see them. I hate using harsh chemicals unless they're necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri May 17 2013, 21:55

Same with me, I don't use flea treatment anymore unless its needed.

For wormer, I give Zeus milbemax every 2/3 months.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by martaz Mon May 20 2013, 18:18

very interesting read.
Ive just spoke to my vet & I need to take the dogs back to the vets before they will prescribe Milbemax (only a check over) but it seemed silly seeing I only see the vet last week & was advised to use advocate , so basically I can use advocate now but have to go back with the dogs to get Milbemax Surprised
martaz
martaz
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down