Question about spay our boy

2 posters

Go down

Question about spay our boy Empty Question about spay our boy

Post by Crazydoll86 Sun May 05 2013, 14:25

We have two dogs a boy and a girl. Our girl is an American bulldog she is eight month old. Although they puppy will be cute we will not mix they breed. We decided to later on stud our girl. She have an amazing personality and we want keep a pup from her later. But we have our boy and I was wondering what is the best age to spay him. I read somewhere if we do it to early we will stop him from growing? It is true?
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : In relationship
Dog(s) Ages : Floyd
Dog Gender(s) : Light brown-brindle stripes
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Question about spay our boy Empty Re: Question about spay our boy

Post by Annie and Maxi Sun May 05 2013, 16:25

You'll find there will be a lot of different opinions about spaying. Me personally is for it because I'm against breeding (with the exception of professional breeders). A lot of people say around 18-24 months is a good age but will you b able to keep your dogs separated during her season? If not I would say do it asap.

Breeding to keep a puppy is a very bad reason to breed. We all think our dogs have amazing personalities, that's no reason to breed.

If you search both breeding and spaying/desexing on this forum you'll find a lot of info on both!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Question about spay our boy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 16:32

Spaying and when is a big topic for discussion , personally we will be doing our boy but not until 2 years for maturity and exnsuring no growth issues or psychological issues as a result.
Regarding your girl , is she fully registered , are you prepared to pay for all the health testing , are you prepared for the tragedies that can happen and take the consequences , I would strongly hope you reconsider this thought just to have a puppy from her , it really is a great sentiment but a bad decision to make

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 16:38

If you want to breed your girl (which you shouldn't do just so you can keep one puppy, that's not a very logical reason) then have a read of this, it highlights all of the risks:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t29736-do-i-need-to-breed

As for neutering, here's another link:

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12763-long-term-health-risks-and-benefits-associated-with-spay-neuter-in-dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 16:52

Def have a long hard think before breeding, there are a lot of negatives with breeding but very few positives. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05 2013, 17:28

I wouldn't normally recommend neutering before full maturity, but you obviously have a problem!

You have two very young dogs, neither of which are (in my opinion) old enough to get neutered, but if you don't you'll need to keep them totally apart for 3 weeks during your girl's season, which will be coming up soon (if she hasn't already had one). Can you do this? And I mean totally apart?

If you neuter (either of them) before approximately 18 months you risk making them leggier & narrower than they would otherwise have been, plus you risk temperament & genital growth problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazydoll86 Sun May 05 2013, 18:43

Thx. We are aware that we have to separate them and we know everything about it. We live five minutes from mother in law who have girl dog. She look after them if we going Somewhere (my partner have physio every week in Edinburgh). Luckily our family is very close. For me is these puppies are the first but my partner grew up with staffies they breed their Floyd. That's why we chooses to have a staffordshire. I wouldn't want to breed irresponsible. A breeder already told us to contact with him when we are ready because she is from a good line and her body (I don't know the professional words) is perfect. The standing etc. thanks for the advices. We will wait until he is fully grown. About my reason is yeah we considered to neuter her but we met the breeder and after we decided few years later we will breed her and keep a puppy. I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course we going to do every health check and if she is not good for breeding we will not breed her.
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Sun May 05 2013, 22:34

I don't understand how you can't see what's wrong with that! What about the remaining puppy's (that half probably will end up at a shelter in some stage of their life). You'll struggle finding good homes because most good and responsible owners who are going to give a puppy a lifelong commitment will do their research and get their dog from a registered, experienced and reputable breeder.

Just clarifying, your talking about staffys but didn't you say your bitch was a American bulldog?
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazydoll86 Sun May 05 2013, 23:31

Yes my question wasn't about my bitch I just said that I have her but it seems this is more interesting then my other question. I am aware about other pups. And I am not worried about other pups because if we can't find owner for all of them we will keep them.
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Mon May 06 2013, 00:19

Yes it is because working at a shelter I see the backside of people breeding for the wrong reason and without homes for the puppies. It is easy to say that you'll take all the remaining puppy's but when you are stuck with 4-5 puppies that you can't find a home for it's not that easy. They'll get a little older and some of them might not get along and start fighting, then what?
Anyway, that's my opinion, but you seem to have made up your mind in regards to that so good luck with it, I hope you bitch doesn't have any complications when giving birth.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 08:37

Crazydoll86 wrote:Yes my question wasn't about my bitch I just said that I have her but it seems this is more interesting then my other question. I am aware about other pups. And I am not worried about other pups because if we can't find owner for all of them we will keep them.

That's a very brave statement to make and hope you can keep to it , you're right your point about breeding has made more of a point than the spaying simply because we are a forum of dog lovers and not just staffords. We see these kind of comments on a weekly basis and they are always going to provoke this kind of reaction .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06 2013, 08:47

It's easy to say you'd take on the rest of the puppies, but for life? You'd have multiple dogs at once to insure, feed, walk, train...and littermates often don't get along very well. You can honestly do that if you don't find good homes for the puppies? And unfortunately even if you think you've found them good homes, who knows where they'll end up? The only reason to breed should be to better the breed. So if you girl is registered, has had all of the health tests (which can be expensive), and you know of what can go wrong with your girl and/or the puppies, then fair enough you'd be looking out for the health of the puppies, but it's still not a good reason to breed just for one puppy.

Why not get another American Bulldog in the future rather than waste money breeding her (because it usually isn't a profit at the end of the day, when done responsibly) just for one puppy?

It isn't so much that this is more 'interesting,' but it's a topic that needs to be discussed. We wouldn't be a very helpful forum if we left everyone to do what they want without even giving them our input (a lot of people make huge decisions without thinking it through properly or without all the information).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down