Harness or halti

3 posters

Go down

Harness or halti Empty Harness or halti

Post by Fletcher Sun Mar 20 2011, 00:10

Hi I'm at my wits end with my puppy pulling constantly tried everything and she still does it was thinking about getting a harness or halti She is 6 months old what size do you think I will need? what does everyone else use and what will you recommend?

Last edited by Fletcher on Sun Mar 20 2011, 00:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't make sense)

Fletcher
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Harness or halti Empty Re: Harness or halti

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 00:47

I think the harness encourages pull because the strongest part of a dog is the chest which is where the preasure is when the dog pulls from using a harness. I found the head halti to be perfect for training for a good 5 months then they gets used to it, but by then it has trained them not to pull so you could go onto a collar or harness.

There are some harnesses out there where the lead clasp is attached to the chest front of the harness by a loop which works by the dog becoming off balanced side ways when they pull and they donot like it, so they don't pull.
Just like the head halti only the harness uses the body instead of the head.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletcher Sun Mar 20 2011, 01:03

Thanks for your help and advice. Think I might buy the halti then and see if she stops pulling. Will the halt help her from not jumping up at strangers as well because that is another problem I have with her.

Fletcher

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 01:11

Yes it will you can control almost all her moments, if you take a look at the training guide that comes with the halti it say a number of directions to pull the lead/dog to get the positon/reaction you want, if you pull up and towards it puts them into a sitting position for when your around other peolpe and keep her there, by pulling to the floor and giving the command you can her to lay down and so on.

this is a simple guide but there are other more detailed guide you could find.
http://www.worldofdogs.cc/Training/BTraining/BTHalti.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 16:26

Ive always had harness's for mine puerly because i hate pulling on the neck of a dog! just my own opinion i dont like it so i harness em .. my pup is in a halti harness which is basically a none pull harness my previous staffy had this aswell and it worked wonders!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Mar 20 2011, 16:31

I used a harness at first and it was magic, I'm lucky though now cause she isn't a puller so we just have a collar now, which is far easier lol!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 16:57

We had a halti on the pit bull we fostered and it wore away the fur and put calluses on his snout. So, we're were going to try the halti brand harness for Saxon. It clips in the front rather than the back. We can't seem to find the right size, though. Medium was huge on him and small was tiny on him. So, we may try a different brand. I've also heard good things about the Sensation brand harness. I'll let you know what we find!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletcher Sun Mar 20 2011, 17:01

Thanks for the replies I bought a halti she hates it but does walk better with it. I only intend to use it for a few weeks till she can walk without pulling on a lead and collar properly

Fletcher

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 17:06

I bought a lupi harness for Tilly, only used it for a short time + it worked wonders.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 20 2011, 17:19

you will find a halti will rarely fit a staffy due to the short snout you will be far better off with the harness that has the loop on the cchest as mentioned.
but i would dare say they would work well on miss rouges brood with them being staffy/jrt mix as they will have a slightly longer nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletcher Sun Mar 20 2011, 19:51

Bigwazza you are right she flicked it Off wove when I just took her out I will have to look for one of the harness you mentioned

Fletcher

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Mar 21 2011, 11:57

You will probably find when you put a harness on her she will walk nicely anyway, it will be a new and strange feeling for her to be restricted in this way. You should play on this and make her walk nicely to heel the minute you put on the harness, harness means business!

I dont really like haltis either, they can strain the neck as they pull the head in one direction and can also cause uneven muscle build-up. They also dont solve the problem. You can pretty much guarentee you can walk a dog on a halti for a month, think it's pulling proboems are cured, put the collar back on, and go back to square one!! The only thing you can do is be patient, I find lead training and heelwork easier in a flat leather collar personally. You need to work on distracting her when she does pull.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 13:00

we use a harness and it has stopped billy pulling, he great just walks next to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 21 2011, 13:26

I know i had to do a little sewing when it come to the halti fitting my lot and its easily done just have fold and sew the lose parts on the halti and done perfect fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 22 2011, 00:34

We got Saxon a harness today. It was hard to find one that would fit him properly since he's got an awkward shape, but he found one that fits perfectly. It's Canine Concepts brand and simply called a "Non-Pull Mesh Harness." It works great, it's comfortable for him and stops his pulling!

Here's a link to the harness on Petco's site: http://www.petco.com/product/109839/Yuppie-Puppy-Non-Pull-Black-Mesh-Harness.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletcher Tue Mar 22 2011, 22:44

Hi thanks for the link I bought a harness with a front ring just waiting for it to arrive but if that's no good I wil use that link he has been alot better On the collar but jumps up every one who try's to walk past

Fletcher

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Mar 22 2011, 23:10

Fletcher wrote:
has been alot better On the collar but jumps up every one who try's to walk past

I'm still working on that! Doesn't do it often but if anyone stops us I'm the first there to stop her jumping!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Fletcher Wed Mar 23 2011, 19:39

My puppy is a nightmare jumping she just wants to lick ppl it is sometimes embarrassing but everone loves her cheeky face so they don't mind

Fletcher

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down