giddy as hell

3 posters

Go down

giddy as hell  Empty giddy as hell

Post by mickgill Fri May 03 2013, 19:21

Ok im having a huge problem with Duke and other people, he is a fab dog but when he see's someone anyone he goes into overdrive in fact ive never seen as dog as giddy and the worst of it is his private hangs out and i mean hangs out , i have tried everything from sit and stay commands , ive walked him miles to tire him out but nothing stops him Sad , i dont want him castrated yet he is just 8 mths old , so any ideas would be welcome thanks .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

giddy as hell  Empty Re: giddy as hell

Post by Guest Fri May 03 2013, 19:23

Castration won't help with that Mick anyway. It's just part of being a male dog, it's mostly a sign of over excitement.

I have an over excitement issue with the Monster, but lately I've had loads of success with a squeaky toy, as soon as he shows signs of excited/anxious behaviour I squeak it to break his fixation and to pay attention to me. It works an absolute treat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03 2013, 19:44

Loki's excitable with other people, but unfortunately he handles the excitement by jumping up and sometimes nipping Rolling Eyes. You'll have to try to find something to break his focus on direct it to you, maybe work on the watch command, making it very strong, building it up so that he'll look at you even in highly-distracted situations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03 2013, 19:53

MatLogan wrote:Castration won't help with that Mick anyway. It's just part of being a male dog, it's mostly a sign of over excitement.

I have an over excitement issue with the Monster, but lately I've had loads of success with a squeaky toy, as soon as he shows signs of excited/anxious behaviour I squeak it to break his fixation and to pay attention to me. It works an absolute treat Smile

After mat mentioning using a squeaky toy, I've started to use the same method & darcy is coming along nicely with it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03 2013, 20:07

Roxy can be the same at times, and also a bit mouthy when she jumps - I've found have\ing a very high value treat and getting her into a sit helps. I then help to focus her mind by doing some basic obedience or a few tricks.

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sat May 04 2013, 09:22

Squeaky toy it is then thanks folks Smile
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04 2013, 09:29

Hate to say this Mick , but Tommy was the same . My OH used to get quite stresssed when he would come leaping onto the bed tail wagging , tongue giving her 40 lashes , then sitting right in front of her with his lipstick out Surprised what on earth is he planning / thinking Surprised

So whilst yes , please follow the advice above , I think a large portion of this may be down to the teenager phase

Definitely distraction tactics and a good watch me (which Tommy takes no notice of these days) will help you out

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat May 04 2013, 09:49

Dave wrote:Hate to say this Mick , but Tommy was the same . My OH used to get quite stresssed when he would come leaping onto the bed tail wagging , tongue giving her 40 lashes , then sitting right in front of her with his lipstick out Surprised what on earth is he planning / thinking Surprised

So whilst yes , please follow the advice above , I think a large portion of this may be down to the teenager phase

Definitely distraction tactics and a good watch me (which Tommy takes no notice of these days) will help you out

Teenage phase. I remember that.......me not the dog.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat May 04 2013, 14:53

Like has been said just training him to focus on you is best, good luck Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun May 05 2013, 18:29

Dave wrote:Hate to say this Mick , but Tommy was the same . My OH used to get quite stresssed when he would come leaping onto the bed tail wagging , tongue giving her 40 lashes , then sitting right in front of her with his lipstick out Surprised what on earth is he planning / thinking Surprised

Cheers Dave it's the only thing he has a problem with over excitement when he see's someone, i hope your right m8 and its a teenage thing , i bumped into a guy yesterday on the coast he has two Staffys he assured me the giddiness would go as he gets older and fills out , he swears all Staffys are like this and said they are puppys longer than any other dog breed he knew, he advised me to walk him through busy town centers and to check him when he lunges or darts at people, i shall try that as well .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down