+2
lovemystaffies
KarlyandDoug
6 posters

Go down

Rescue dog strange behaviour Empty Rescue dog strange behaviour

Post by KarlyandDoug Wed May 01 2013, 11:05

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help me.

Just over 4 weeks ago I adopted a beautiful 2 year old boy called Doug. He is a dream dog, doesn't chew or bark. Is fab with other dogs, children and just loves people. Loves to play in the garden, bones, toys the works really. Eats well, better now that he is used to a constant supply of food Smile

The "problem" is has now is strange and I feel silly asking but he has become "sad" if that is the right word.

I go to work from 8:45 unil 12:30 then again at 13:15 until 17:15. When I leave in the morning he gives me these eyes and curls up as small as he can in his bed. When I come back at lunch most of the time I wake him up so I know he's been asleep and is fine. When I leave at lunch he's ok but that may be because he gets a Kong full of goodies so he doens't notice me leaving.

The evening he is very strange. I get in at 17:15 and am greeted by a tail wag and excitment but at 6:10/15 every night he sits at the front door squeezed as far as he can in the corner shaking. I've tried to encourage him out with his favourite treats and toys + I've tried to ignore him incase I was encouraging this behaviour with treats. There's nothing I can put my finger on that is the trigger for this. I haven't been doing anything different. confused

I've tried taking him for a walk when he is doing this incase it is his new way of letting me know he wants to go out but he sits on the floor with his head down and will not move.

This is the reason for the post really as I do not know why he has suddenly started doing it. He does have an appointment at the vets this evening just incase it is medical.

Sorry for the long post but I am abit worried about him
KarlyandDoug
KarlyandDoug
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Doug
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Rescue dog strange behaviour Empty Re: Rescue dog strange behaviour

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 11:20

It could indeed be medical. It may also very well be getting used to his new home and some seperation anxiety

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Wed May 01 2013, 11:21

Good that you have a vet appointment to check for medicals. Otherwise, I think he's thinking you're going out again and getting used to his new home. I would say ignore it, he'll come round and you're right not to reward the behaviour.
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed May 01 2013, 13:10

Ah poor Doug Sad Maybe it could be down to where ever he's come from, something used to happen at that time that he didn't like?

Maybe come and say hi when you get chance

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by KarlyandDoug Wed May 01 2013, 14:11

Thanks for all your reassurance Smile

I was also thinking it could be something that happened in his last home but I have no history on him. I got him from the SSPCA (Scottish version of the RSPCA) he was found as a stray in Glasgow.

He's only started hiding and shaking about 10-12 days ago not the first week which also made me worry.

I've just come back from lunch with Doug, we didn't walk as it's raining (doesn't like rain!) I was greeted with a soggy bone and a cuddle on the sofa Love Struck when I left I got the eyes but not as bad as yesterday so I'm thinking he may prefer a cuddle to a walk at lunch?

Hopefully he'll be ok at the vets and it is just a previous behaviour that we can overcome Smile
KarlyandDoug
KarlyandDoug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 14:29

If it isn't something medical, I think it's something from his past that gets him nervous. I've seen a few members on here say similar, that their dogs (rescues) randomly seem to shake or act differently, scared or distant. I'd say not to make a fuss of him or give him any affection when he's like that because you would be enforcing it, but when he's his normal self, lots of love and affection and patience will help him Smile I think the more time passes, the more he'll realise he's safe with you.

Any chance of an introduction (and, more importantly, pics)? Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by KarlyandDoug Wed May 01 2013, 16:51

I've just posted an introduction but not pictures yet Smile
KarlyandDoug
KarlyandDoug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandz Wed May 01 2013, 17:00

Frankie gives me the eyes and sulks when he sees me get my work uniform on but he's fine when I'm at work. If it happens the same time every day you could maybe try 5 minutes before engaging him in something. Maybe training or playing with toys. That way you're not rewarding him for it because you're correcting it before it starts and also he will the associate that time of day with something nice. Try not to worry. They can be sensitive so and so's sometimes and can be very good at giving the sad face! I'm sure he will be fine once he's completely settled in Smile
Mandz
Mandz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Rescue dog strange behaviour Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Frankie
Support total : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 01 2013, 21:33

What time do you feed him, and what food do you give him?

How did you get on at the vets?

Back to top Go down

Post by KarlyandDoug Thu May 02 2013, 09:31

The good news is Doug has nothing medically wrong with him apart from a slight skin irritation that may have been caused by wet grass. That'll clear up with a shampoo we've been given.

The bad news is it may be my fault he is shaking & cowering in the corner of the front door everynight and I now feel soo bad Sad

The vet asked me to go through our daily routine ie when we leave, for how long, what I do when I leave and what Doug gets when we leave. So when I get home at lunch I take him for a walk then we have a cuddle on the sofa. But what maybe causing it is I make a bug fuss when I leave as I feel guilty so he gets a Kong or a bone and I tell him I'm leaving but that I'll be back - bascially make a drama of it. 6:10 is 45 mins after I get home in the evening, the same amount of time I'm home for at lunch, so Doug is shaking as he thinks I'm going to be leaving again. I've caused him to have minor separation anxiety in 4 weeks! God I feel like the worse person now Sad

It can be cured though so from today no big fusses when I leave and the Kong/Bone needs to be given at other times not just after lunch.

KarlyandDoug
KarlyandDoug

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 09:35

KarlyandDoug wrote:The good news is Doug has nothing medically wrong with him apart from a slight skin irritation that may have been caused by wet grass. That'll clear up with a shampoo we've been given.

The bad news is it may be my fault he is shaking & cowering in the corner of the front door everynight and I now feel soo bad Sad

The vet asked me to go through our daily routine ie when we leave, for how long, what I do when I leave and what Doug gets when we leave. So when I get home at lunch I take him for a walk then we have a cuddle on the sofa. But what maybe causing it is I make a bug fuss when I leave as I feel guilty so he gets a Kong or a bone and I tell him I'm leaving but that I'll be back - bascially make a drama of it. 6:10 is 45 mins after I get home in the evening, the same amount of time I'm home for at lunch, so Doug is shaking as he thinks I'm going to be leaving again. I've caused him to have minor separation anxiety in 4 weeks! God I feel like the worse person now Sad

It can be cured though so from today no big fusses when I leave and the Kong/Bone needs to be given at other times not just after lunch.

That sounds right to me as well. It's best not to coddle them if they are worried or make a fuss when going out. It's hard at first but definately for the best.

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Thu May 02 2013, 18:01

Karly, do not beat yourself up over this; you have given Doug a loving and caring home and he'll soon settle down.
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 19:16

Poor Doug Sad . On the other hand he is clever to work the time out Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 02 2013, 19:19

Good news that you've worked it out and finally we hear about a vet with sense Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by spike123 Sun May 05 2013, 08:15

Me and my OH did exactly the same with spike, made a big fuss when we left and coming home at lunch, I found I was causing him more anxiety coming home for such a short time and leaving again, we got lots of chewed belongings, with lots of advie from on here we started to ignore him for about 5mins before we left and giving him his food in his treat ball he wouldn't notice us leave so not cause him the level of anxiety he had, 2 years on and if there is any anxiety I can't see it. You will get there in the end you only did it because you love your pooch and now you can try and fix it. Good luck :-)
spike123
spike123

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Spike
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Justinbinny Sun Sep 01 2013, 18:58

It takes a long time for a rescue to adapt to it's new home. Can you imagine how you would feel if you'd been living on the street or in an abusive situation and were suddenly brought into a warm home with strangers? You would feel disoriented, scared, and distrustful. You need to give your new dog plenty of time and space and love.

When I first got my dog, she would not sleep with me. She did not know how to walk up the stairs. It took a long, long time for her to come around.

Link removed.

Last edited by Darcy-may on Sun Sep 01 2013, 19:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : We don't allow links.)

Justinbinny
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Sep 01 2013, 19:02

Hi there, welcome to the forum, maybe you could come and say hi Smile 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Sazzle
Sazzle