Help with rash on tummy (picture included)

5 posters

Go down

Help with rash on tummy (picture included) Empty Help with rash on tummy (picture included)

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:34

Hi all

Noticed this on Chiquitos' tummy about an hour ago. Can anyone help with what the rash might be? Should I be worried (more worried!)?

Help with rash on tummy (picture included) 20130427_230658_zps739aca78[/URL]

He was asleep when I noticed it and still is, so I don't know if it is itchy (think he would wake if it were too bad?), I did not notice the rash earlier and have never seen it before.

We are visiting at a house he has been to once before (when we first picked him up we stayed here for the night). He has been outside running around with two other dogs today - both he has met before, both well.

He had the first quarter cup of his new biscuits today (over the period of the day) otherwise his usual diet.

As far as I know nothing has been sprayed on lawns etc.

He has seemed well otherwise today ... he was sick several times when he got up this morning though - not something I would have been concerned about by itself though - he seemed to be sicking and then swallowing it again. I just assumed he had eaten something he shouldn't again (he sicked in the morning after he ate his poop last week too .. only did it once)

Kell
Kell
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Help with rash on tummy (picture included) Empty Re: Help with rash on tummy (picture included)

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:41

you could try giving him a half a piriton tab and see how he is , has he been running through any long grass ?? other than what you already mention

Back to top Go down

Help with rash on tummy (picture included) Empty Re: Help with rash on tummy (picture included)

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:43

Is it very hot over there? In extreme heat Vinny breaks out in something similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:51

Dave wrote:you could try giving him a half a piriton tab and see how he is , has he been running through any long grass ?? other than what you already mention

RoxysMum wrote:Is it very hot over there? In extreme heat Vinny breaks out in something similar.

Thank you for your responses ...

The weather is reasonably mild - warm but not hot at all.

The place we are staying is on acreage - he and the other two dogs have had access to just under an acre size house yard today (including gardens with hay mulch) but stayed mainly in the areas around the house. All of the grass is trimmed in the yard, about an inch high.

I do not know what a piriton tab is Sad
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 15:02

piriton isa brand of anti-histamine tablet that humans can take for allergy , hopefully one of our Oz members can tell you what this would be in your land Smile

Failing that there is always the vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 15:08

Thanks for that Dave

It is currently just after midnight here - vet opens at 8 in the morning, will phone them when I can.
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 15:10

How old is he ?? , I really wouldn't panic about it , looks quite minor and one to monitor Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 15:20

Dave wrote:How old is he ?? , I really wouldn't panic about it , looks quite minor and one to monitor Smile

He is 14 weeks tomorrow.

Thank you ... wasn't sure whether it was something to be worried about!
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 16:01

Kell wrote:
Dave wrote:How old is he ?? , I really wouldn't panic about it , looks quite minor and one to monitor Smile

He is 14 weeks tomorrow.

Thank you ... wasn't sure whether it was something to be worried about!

It's very easy to get a little concerned with a baby Love Struck 14 weeks old day dreaming Maybe have a look when you get up and see if Kylie has been able to give you some guidance (one of our Oz staff) regarding treatments in Oz she's been through just about everything with Steffi since a pup Smile and if your heart is still concerned then pop to the vet

Sleep well Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 16:23

Darcy had something similar which is caused by allergies to grass pollen, we give her antihistamines daily and give her a good rub down after walks Smile hope it's nothing too serious Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 27 2013, 16:31

I hope it has calmed down by the morning, they are such a worry Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Silva Sat Apr 27 2013, 16:45

It looks like the same flare up that Silva gets from grass allergy. I know quite a few people who's staffies get it. We put him on antihistamines when it flares up. Its funny, but all the chemists i went to here new dosages for dogs.

I think its Dermcare Malaseb shampoo usually helps clear it up aswell.
Silva
Silva
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Silva
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 27 2013, 17:55

Looks like hives but the photo is small on my notebook

I'd personally give high strength vitamin C tablets (not the chewy flavoured ones) it's a natural antihistamine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Apr 27 2013, 19:21

Agree with above also try wiping his tummy down with a damp hand towel when you come in from walks, this help to cool it down a little.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:25

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. It is so good to be able to ask questions and receive replies from people who understand that I worry about him Smile

He has woken up this morning and the rash is gone .. happy puppy Big Grin
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:30

Silva wrote:It looks like the same flare up that Silva gets from grass allergy. I know quite a few people who's staffies get it. We put him on antihistamines when it flares up. Its funny, but all the chemists i went to here new dosages for dogs.

Thanks Smile Will look into this today.

Is there a specific anti-histamine you use (name?) or just one in general? Funny that the chemists know the dosage .. guess there are plenty of puppy parents out there visiting the chemist with their fur-babies Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:32

Kell wrote:
Thank you so much everyone for your replies. It is so good to be able to ask questions and receive replies from people who understand that I worry about him Smile

Great news! Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:34

Kathy wrote:Agree with above also try wiping his tummy down with a damp hand towel when you come in from walks, this help to cool it down a little.

Thanks Kathy - had no anti-histamine last night but his tummy calmed down some after wiping it down Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:39

ella wrote:Looks like hives but the photo is small on my notebook

I'd personally give high strength vitamin C tablets (not the chewy flavoured ones) it's a natural antihistamine Smile

Thanks Ella - I use high strength vitamin C when I have headaches so it is always in my handbag ... would the same type I take be okay for him and is there a specific dosage (per weight perhaps) ?
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silva Sat Apr 27 2013, 23:51

Kell wrote:
Silva wrote:It looks like the same flare up that Silva gets from grass allergy. I know quite a few people who's staffies get it. We put him on antihistamines when it flares up. Its funny, but all the chemists i went to here new dosages for dogs.

Thanks Smile Will look into this today.

Is there a specific anti-histamine you use (name?) or just one in general? Funny that the chemists know the dosage .. guess there are plenty of puppy parents out there visiting the chemist with their fur-babies Smile

We just get the generic brand of Claryntine. Maybe i wasa just lucky in my chemist choices, but I think it just goes by weight for dosage anyway.

Glad to hear he is better though. thumbs up
Silva
Silva

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Silva
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 09:14

Kell wrote:

Brilliant probably healed with some self healing mummy love thoughts , the best Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 09:49

Kell wrote:

Great news Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 13:53

Kell wrote:

Thanks Ella - I use high strength vitamin C when I have headaches so it is always in my handbag ... would the same type I take be okay for him and is there a specific dosage (per weight perhaps) ?

As long as it's the swallow tablets not the chewy flavoured ones it's fine

Dosage wise you feed to bowl tolerance, the thing it gives is runny stools if to much, so try 1 or 2 and see how he takes them as really you can't OD on vit c

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:01

was going to mention grass, Lola had a couple of small breakouts like that last year, mostly after walking thru long grass/fields/woodland, it soon goes down and certainly doesnt seem to cause any aggro so i just keep an eye on it Smile
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28 2013, 17:57

Great news that it cleared up thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Mon Apr 29 2013, 07:50

ella wrote:
Kell wrote:

As long as it's the swallow tablets not the chewy flavoured ones it's fine

Dosage wise you feed to bowl tolerance, the thing it gives is runny stools if to much, so try 1 or 2 and see how he takes them as really you can't OD on vit c

Thanks Ella Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Mon Apr 29 2013, 08:19

asa-james wrote:was going to mention grass, Lola had a couple of small breakouts like that last year, mostly after walking thru long grass/fields/woodland, it soon goes down and certainly doesnt seem to cause any aggro so i just keep an eye on it Smile

Sounds exactly the same as Chiquito - caused no real bother to him and went down over night. At least now I know what it is if it happens again Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down