+3
Nathan
Kathy
canthavethat
7 posters

Go down

Dogs vs Muntjacs Empty Dogs vs Muntjacs

Post by canthavethat Thu Apr 25 2013, 09:44

Anyone got any experience of this? I've spotted a few recently when we've been in the woods, and have managed to avoid any confrontations, though the other day Bailey chased a couple into the undergrowth. When they saw the dogs they squealed and ran, and Bailey came back unscathed. Are muntjacs vicious? Do they carry any diseases? I'm just wondering what would happen if they actually came face to face. I wonder if my dogs would have a go, or maybe if the deer stood their ground the dogs might run away?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dogs vs Muntjacs Empty Re: Dogs vs Muntjacs

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 09:52

i didnt even know we had muntjacs in england so you learn something every day lol as far as i know they will just run and hide but i would amagin if young were near by there may be a chance they may kickout and injur a dog
but wpuld be funny to see the reaction when the deer barks back lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 09:56

i didnt even know what they were I dont want to s blonde moment Laughing it would be interesting to see what would happen if they did come face to face. im sure someone with more experience than me Smile will pop along shortly.

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Thu Apr 25 2013, 09:57

Warren wrote:i didnt even know we had muntjacs in england
Just been reading about this, apparently they originally escaped from safari parks Laughing
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Thu Apr 25 2013, 10:00

Darcy-may wrote:i didnt even know what they were I dont want to s blonde moment Laughing
You're totally excused, from what I have read they are only in the southern half of the country. I didn't even realise that myself, I have always seen them around and thought they were more common, so I apologise for not explaining better!
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Thu Apr 25 2013, 10:11

Warren wrote:wpuld be funny to see the reaction when the deer barks back lol
Yes they are known as "the barking deer"! That would be so funny, I'm tempted to let it happen just to see Laughing
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 10:16

They would most likely just run away long before confortation. I don't think there's any in Ireland.

I don't think my fella would chase them anyway. But I'd probably stop him if he did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 25 2013, 10:22

We have quite a lot of them around us in woods in various places. When I take Rocky to a local field there are some there. We did come almost face to face with one a couple of weeks ago. The silly creature just stood in the middle of the path looking at me and Rocky, he was on his lead though so not able to give chase. It then just very calmly walked off into the woods again.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 12:17

canthavethat wrote:
Darcy-may wrote:i didnt even know what they were I dont want to s blonde moment Laughing
You're totally excused, from what I have read they are only in the southern half of the country. I didn't even realise that myself, I have always seen them around and thought they were more common, so I apologise for not explaining better!

They're so tiny that I don't think they'd do any damage, they certainly wouldn't hang around to bite! I suppose if a dog cornered one it might kick, but that's about it.

There are loads in the Midlands - you often see them run across the road.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 12:24

Awwwwww........... Love Struck

Dogs vs Muntjacs Muntja12

Dogs vs Muntjacs Muntja13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 12:25

canthavethat wrote:Anyone got any experience of this? I've spotted a few recently when we've been in the woods, and have managed to avoid any confrontations, though the other day Bailey chased a couple into the undergrowth. When they saw the dogs they squealed and ran, and Bailey came back unscathed. Are muntjacs vicious? Do they carry any diseases? I'm just wondering what would happen if they actually came face to face. I wonder if my dogs would have a go, or maybe if the deer stood their ground the dogs might run away?

Laughing You have next to nothing to worry about! Your dog would be more likely to catch something from a cat than a muntjac. They're quite well known for their lack of serious illness or parasites in the species, which makes it hard to control the populations.

Although they do have tusks, unlike most other deer, they only really use them to defend their young and during rutting. Yes, they can be feisty little animals, but they are also prey animals. They'll weigh in more in the 'flight' section of fight or flight.

As long as you don't let your boy pester a doe and her fawn(s), it should be fine. But that goes for any animal. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 12:26

Caryll wrote:Awwwwww........... Love Struck

Dogs vs Muntjacs Muntja12

Dogs vs Muntjacs Muntja13

funny memphis is doing the same as the second picture Blushing lunch rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Thu Apr 25 2013, 19:53

Eleanor wrote:
canthavethat wrote:Anyone got any experience of this? I've spotted a few recently when we've been in the woods, and have managed to avoid any confrontations, though the other day Bailey chased a couple into the undergrowth. When they saw the dogs they squealed and ran, and Bailey came back unscathed. Are muntjacs vicious? Do they carry any diseases? I'm just wondering what would happen if they actually came face to face. I wonder if my dogs would have a go, or maybe if the deer stood their ground the dogs might run away?

Laughing You have next to nothing to worry about! Your dog would be more likely to catch something from a cat than a muntjac. They're quite well known for their lack of serious illness or parasites in the species, which makes it hard to control the populations.

Although they do have tusks, unlike most other deer, they only really use them to defend their young and during rutting. Yes, they can be feisty little animals, but they are also prey animals. They'll weigh in more in the 'flight' section of fight or flight.

As long as you don't let your boy pester a doe and her fawn(s), it should be fine. But that goes for any animal. Smile
Reassuring, thanks. I'm sure they will come face to face with one eventually, I'm curious to see what the dogs will do Smile
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 19:58

No problem! Wink Just be aware that dogs are predators, so you should monitor them closely to make sure that they don't start behaving in a predatory way towards the deer if they see them. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:13

Never heard of them before and didn't have to go to Wiki , now I know what they are , where thay come from , their health record and where to find them thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 20:34

I know that the adults can be feisty but as they aren't massive i don't think they would do much damage

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:04

Yes, the adults will defend themselves, but only if they can't run away. But as Ella says, they're so small that any medium & above sized dog would have nothing to worry about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:06

We also have loads around here. They dont herd like other dear so are sometimes harder to spot. One thing about them though is they move like greased lightning and incredibly fast for there size. Im not sure many dogs would get that close to one tbh unless itwas ill. Id be more concernd about native deer stags in autumn who will defend territory in the rutting season
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by dibs74 Fri Apr 26 2013, 00:20

We have muntjac in the field behind our garden, when i first saw them i thoughy my dog had got out cos shes same colour Blushing they can be firey if they have young, plus they have little horns
dibs74
dibs74
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Fri Apr 26 2013, 09:33

We have a small herd of Roe Deer where we walk and can get quite close. They are much bigger than the Muntjac and, I believe, can deliver a very nasty kick if cornered. However the chance of a dog getting close enough to a healthy animal to be in danger is very remote as they are veeery swift and agile. Bacchus has made a token effort at a chase a couple of times but no way he could get close with his wee short legs.
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by ashy Wed May 01 2013, 01:47

Wow , we dont have them up north! We do have a vicious cousin called an old dear Smile

ashy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bruce and ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks and 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male's and

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Wed May 01 2013, 11:04

I had no idea a Muntjac was even an animal Laughing

Our walks over here might involve a bush turkey or two but nothing as exciting as deer so I am no help at all! Thanks to all for the nature lesson though Smile
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down