Fits

+2
janey
Jackieb
6 posters

Go down

Fits Empty Fits

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 17:51

Hi all, my 5 yr female staffy had a fit yesterday afternoon. Took to vets in evening where they took blood and checked over. Possibly epilepsy but said to have referral to neurologist.
She had another fit this morning so another trip to emergency vet and they are keeping overnight to monitor her. As she is insured they've recommended a neurologist and we've got appointment on Tuesday in derby.
She has a issue with her back that we've never got to the bottom of, she arches her back when excited (although it has happened when she's calm) and she walks on her back tiptoes. When it spasms she can't get up steps or even a kerb from road. We usually massage her back legs until she's ok. It's like cramp.
The vet is wondering if these are link, hence the neurologist.
Anyone else had either problem??

Jane & Ruby

Back to top Go down

Fits Empty Re: Fits

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 17:53

sorry I've not but really hope all goes well for you with the vets and please keep us posted >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 13 2013, 18:36

Nothing that I have experienced myself, I do hope you find an answer Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 19:00

I haven't experienced it, but it does sound neurological & linked.

The neurologist should be able to help, and it's great that you can take her to see one.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Apr 13 2013, 19:38

Bless her, sounds like the vet is on the ball and doing the right things. Wushung u both well, keep us posted x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13 2013, 21:46

Thanks everyone, it's very quiet in our house tonight and no staffy hugs. Will keep you posted

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Apr 13 2013, 21:56

Come and say hi if you like Smile Ever want to talk staffy then your in the right place Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14 2013, 15:03

The vet rang me this morning. The blood tests came back clear, however ruby had another fit at 6am. She came round quick enough not to need any medication but we have decided to let her stay at the vet hospital till Tuesday morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14 2013, 15:09

Bless her , we've got 8 little paws crossed over here for you >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14 2013, 15:17

Aww poor baby, I hope all goes well Tuesday, keep us updated, got everything crossed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14 2013, 23:20

Well today has gone from bad to worse. Vet rang at 4pm to say she had two more fits and wanted to her to see neurologist before Tuesday. They found one in Manchester so tool her there. Ruby cried all the way and she's usually a very quiet dog(doesn't bark) just usual staffy grunts. Anyway neurologist was on way to emergency when we arrived so intern booked is in.
Looks like MRI tomorrow.
My worry is its too late, I don't think she recognised us at all today Sad are we putting her though this for our sake or hers?
The cost we were quoted was unbelievable, it takes us over our insurance cover and as much as I'd do anything to help her it's gonna be a huge debt..
Poor baby Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Apr 14 2013, 23:24

Only you know your dog hun, if I thought it may help I would do it. Get the results and take it from there >Big Grin<
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15 2013, 00:07

Poor little thing.

As Janey says, just take it one stage at a time. It may not be as bad as you think. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 19:37

sorry not posted for a while..its been stressful.
anyway I'll do the shortish version.
ruby stayed at Manchester for a week, she had lumber puncture and x ray rather than MRI. She was started on steroids and anti seizure meds. my partner went to see her on the Tuesday and she was in a poor way. her back left leg and front leg affected and we were thinking the worst. on Wednesday she perked up a bit. Friday the vet brought her to his south Yorkshire branch and i went to collect her as all they were doing was medicating so he said we could do that at home.
when the nurse brought her out it was heart wrenching, she wandered round and didn't recognise me. the vet was concerned about the lack of recognition and offer support if we decided to PTS. we decided to take her home for the weekend and see how she was.
had a nervous weekend... had to carry her outside as she couldn't get in and out of door. appetite like a horse due to steroids.
anyway took back the following Friday for check up, vet glad to see us both. still concerned that she doesn't recognise anyone. he has reduced her steroids a bit and the anti seizure meds.
then on the Saturday i took her to mum in laws and when she saw father in law the tail wagged!!!!! for the 1st time since this all started!! (turncoat) Tongues
any way this week has got slightly better, i get a tail wag when i get home as do the rest of fam Big Grin she has a play outside with the ball and has enjoyed the recent sun. we still don't get any smiles thou
the vet still isn't sure whether its a brain tumour, epilepsy or meningitis so we are just hoping she improves as much as she can.

anyway she's still with us...windy bottom as well sick not 100% the dog she was but 70%...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 19:45

Oh, it's so good to hear from you!

Poor Ruby, she's having a hard time, as are you and your family! Let's hope that the tlc and the meds will help her to get back to her old self as soon as possible.

When do you need to take her back to see the vet?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 20:02

she goes back on the 17th may to see the vet unless we need to go sooner.
like i said its been grim, the week she was at Manchester was rough as every time the phone rang we were like cats on hot tin roofs!! I've lost weight with the worry Crying or Very sad
the house has a constant smell of wind and it can clear the room! sick and they squeak!! Laughing
she's slowly started coming to us to be fussed as she just wasn't bothered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 20:03

Is it the meds causing the wind? sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 20:13

Hope you manage to get thins sorted. Must be very stressful for you all. Massive >Big Grin< from me and Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 20:15

Things are sounding a lot more positive >Big Grin< >Big Grin< big huge hugs from us.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed May 08 2013, 20:22

Hey, thanks for the update, not conclusive but better than thought and I really hope Ruby continues with her progress Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed May 08 2013, 21:51

I really hope your through the worst of it now >Big Grin< Keep us updated
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 22:12

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Yes the wind is a side effect of he meds. :-(

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 08 2013, 22:14

Janemiles13 wrote: Yes the wind is a side effect of he meds. :-(

Ouch, that's a shame! Small price to pay for her health, though, I suppose. Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Kell Thu May 09 2013, 03:58

Glad to hear that Ruby has made some progress >Big Grin< Please keep letting us know how she gets on x
Kell
Kell

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chiquito and Sheba
Dog(s) Ages : 21/01/2013 and 13/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 304

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 09 2013, 10:08

So very sorry to read about Rubys condition, hopefully the meds will have a positive effect in time. That must have been a very stressful time for you all I cannot imagine, sending massive hugs your way for a speedy recovery >Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by otisthestafford Thu May 09 2013, 17:01

Just caught up with your story - I do hope she continues to improve and that the worst is over. Keep up updated and sending positives vibes your way!! Must have been very worrying for you!
otisthestafford
otisthestafford

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 22.09.2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 294

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 18:30

just an update....
while Ruby was ill I googled/researched all sorts of illness etc as you do. 1 stuck in my mind and when i mentioned to the vet he say he didn't think it was the one mentioned as he had seen a couple of dogs with it.
anyway it stuck with me and I sent of for DNA swabs the the Animal centre in Newmarket and received the news by email today that Ruby is affected with L2HGA and has 2 mutant genes.
L-2-HGA affects the central nervous system, with clinical signs usually apparent between 6 months and one year (although they can appear later). Symptoms include epileptic seizures, "wobbly" gait, tremors, muscle stiffness as a result of exercise or excitement and altered behaviour.

anyway to say I'm gutted is an understatement, I need to find out more info about dogs living with the disease as affected pups are usually PTS. theres not much info on the net for owners Sad

so potentially unless we are doubly unlucky she may not have a brain tumour, meningitis or epilepsy. (although seizures are a part of the condition)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu May 09 2013, 20:23

Ah Jane I'm so sorry >Big Grin<
I'm afraid it's not something I know anything about, I'm sure some one on here does, do you know if they can medicate it?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 20:34

Oh, no, that's awful news.

There's no cure for L2HGA, I'm afraid, but symptoms can be controlled with medication.

I found this a while ago, and it might be of interest to you...

http://willowstaffie.wordpress.com/2011/11/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 21:04

Thanks caryll . I found that website while researching and asked her a few questions which made me think it could be that. I know her dog isn't very old Sad
I would advise anyone getig a staffy pup to have the test or make sure the breeder does it. My friend who I got ruby off is gutted as it means her two are carriers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 22:24

awww poor Ruby , hope you can get the meds to get the situation under control big >Big Grin< from Tommy and Tilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 10:47

Janemiles13 wrote:Thanks caryll . I found that website while researching and asked her a few questions which made me think it could be that. I know her dog isn't very old Sad
I would advise anyone getig a staffy pup to have the test or make sure the breeder does it. My friend who I got ruby off is gutted as it means her two are carriers.

That's exactly why we're always telling people to get their breeding dogs tested. What a hard lesson to learn. Sad

If I was her I'd get both dogs neutered to save any further problems.

Please do let us know how you're getting on. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 11:03

P.S. Just a thought. Does your friend stay in touch with the others who bought pups from her? If so, they should be informed as all of them could be similarly affected.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 13:41

Yes, a friend of mine has Ruby's sister and I know she knows of another. Both her dogs are neutered now. The breeder she got her two from is still a breeder which is worrying. Neither of us knew anything of this condition till 3 weeks ago. And when we got ruby as a pup she was as a pet, we always had Heinz 57's rather than pedigrees.
I've informed my vet today who had never heard of it and she thanked me for doing her job for her!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 16:29

Vets can't know every hereditary illness in every breed. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 10:43

My comment about my vet was mean jokey. Maybe I should have put a smiley face after it.. :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 10:48

Ruby aka f@rty pants is having a perky morning although she's not impressed with the weather today. Had to put radiator on for her as shivering..... Brrrhhh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 16:18

Janemiles13 wrote:My comment about my vet was mean jokey. Maybe I should have put a smiley face after it.. :-)

I thought it was, anyway! I just meant that sometimes vets can be taught things by their customers! Big Grin

Janemiles13 wrote:Ruby aka f@rty pants is having a perky morning although she's not impressed with the weather today. Had to put radiator on for her as shivering..... Brrrhhh

Poor girl!

Mind you, I agree with her - the weather's atrocious here! cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down