How old before you leave your Stafford with a child

5 posters

Go down

How old before you leave your Stafford with a child Empty How old before you leave your Stafford with a child

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:39

Just curious

As we all know dogs and young children should never be left alone together but at what age do you think its ok to be unsupervised, We aren't talking about daily care etc ,I refer to at what age (assuming your dog/s have the run of the house) do you leave the bedroom doors open etc . My kids (dogs) have been free to roam , sleep on my daughters bed etc since they came (Tilly when Jen was 11, and Tommy at 12 1/2)

Back to top Go down

How old before you leave your Stafford with a child Empty Re: How old before you leave your Stafford with a child

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:43

I can only go by me. I had my first dog at 14 years old & looking back I think I was mature enough to cope with whatever she threw at me!

It all really depends on the dog and the child.

I think any child below a teenager should be supervised, or at least have an adult in the house. From what you've said, though, Jen is a mature, capable girl. I would perhaps not leave her alone with both dogs, because she might not be able to cope with them if things got out of hand, but one at a time, to me, would be fine.

Back to top Go down

How old before you leave your Stafford with a child Empty Re: How old before you leave your Stafford with a child

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:45

As a young child we were always supervised when around dogs, however there were always big dogs in my family and I guess it was sensible. I got my own first dog when I was in my early teens and was obviously allowed to be left alone with it then. Probably 13, maybe younger actually.

I don't have kids of my own but I wouldn't leave a dog with a child until I could trust the child wouldn't do anything like tease the dog or leave doors/gates open where the dog could get away. This is assuming my dog would be like Logan who is friendly, I have had unfriendly dogs before that I wouldn't have left with adults nevermind kids. But again that's pretty standard for everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:47

Caryll wrote:I can only go by me. I had my first dog at 14 years old & looking back I think I was mature enough to cope with whatever she threw at me!

It all really depends on the dog and the child.

I think any child below a teenager should be supervised, or at least have an adult in the house. From what you've said, though, Jen is a mature, capable girl. I would perhaps not leave her alone with both dogs, because she might not be able to cope with them if things got out of hand, but one at a time, to me, would be fine.

I don't refer to being "left alone" I refer to wandering unsupervised ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:52

Do you mean the dogs left to wander the house, or do you mean leaving the dogs in the care of a child?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 23:00

Caryll wrote:Do you mean the dogs left to wander the house, or do you mean leaving the dogs in the care of a child?

Dogs left to wander the house, and access every room and every bed and every quilt

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 01:39

when the kids stop being little tw@ts, when I take Stig over to the house he's constantly tormented by our son, the girls are ok with him but George has a habbit of waving things in front of him that he isn't allowed to have, will hit/kick him for no reason and if Stig falls asleep George will wake him up. I can stop these things happening when I'm in the same room as him but if I weren't in the same room I think Stig would eventually snap, he's given more than enough warnings. As it is wherever I go, Stig goes, even if it's a quick nip to the toilet or into the kitchen Stig comes with me and is shut in the kitchen until I can supervise, sucks really as he's done nothing wrong but I have to put my kids safety first. I can't give an age I'm afraid it's a case of whenever George starts listening and learns right from wrong.
stig
stig
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How old before you leave your Stafford with a child Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Stig
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 04:57

Steff has run of the house and always has. Dylan is nearly 10, I don't follow them around they will be in other rooms unsupervised, when Steff is lazing and he is playing his Ipad Big Grin Any running or rougher play is always supervised though and outside.. I know Dylan has been well educated about treating dogs in a respectful manner, he knows his dos and don'ts with Steff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 07:21

Depends on the dog. I'd say around 10 or 11 unless the dog is big or still over-the-top. To me, it's really just when the kid's old enough to understand how to properly handle the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 08:38

Darcy has the run of the house, Molly is the youngest and shes 12 and really confident with darcy, I was 10 when we got our 1st dog and he had the run of the house too, every bed every quilt lol just like darcy. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 09:11

Dempsey has the run of the house, except for bedrooms - there are too many things in there that he could destroy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony n Jane Wed Apr 10 2013, 09:34

stig wrote:when the kids stop being little tw@ts, when I take Stig over to the house he's constantly tormented by our son, the girls are ok with him but George has a habbit of waving things in front of him that he isn't allowed to have, will hit/kick him for no reason and if Stig falls asleep George will wake him up. I can stop these things happening when I'm in the same room as him but if I weren't in the same room I think Stig would eventually snap, he's given more than enough warnings. As it is wherever I go, Stig goes, even if it's a quick nip to the toilet or into the kitchen Stig comes with me and is shut in the kitchen until I can supervise, sucks really as he's done nothing wrong but I have to put my kids safety first. I can't give an age I'm afraid it's a case of whenever George starts listening and learns right from wrong.

I agree with Dave, Your dog may be wonderful with Kids but it only takes a second for a youngster to shove a crayon up a dogs nose or poke it in the eye then there could be trouble.
Always supervise until your kids are old enough to respect your dogs boundries.

You only have to look at this recent tragic incident Sad http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2013/04/09/i-feel-so-guilty-over-telford-dog-attack-baby-tragedy-says-gran/
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed Apr 10 2013, 16:18

Have any of you ever had a bad experience where children/dogs/your dog are concerned?

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 17:57

Rupertsbooks wrote:Have any of you ever had a bad experience where children/dogs/your dog are concerned?

No, but there have been times when I'm sure there would have been had I not been there.

Stig has nipped George a little harder than a play bite, enough to mark but not puncture the skin, what did George learn from this? Nothing Sad

May be worth starting another thread with that question.
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stig Wed Apr 10 2013, 18:00

Also re-reading your question am I right in thinking you mean have any of us had a bad experience not necceserily involving children? Ie being attacked by your own dog?
stig
stig

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sonics family Wed Apr 10 2013, 18:39

Hmmm..this is something i have been thinking about a lot, my son has grown up around dogs and definitely understands that he must treat them with respect. my son is 6 and sonic is 10 months. Until recently sonic had a cage but we have got rid of that so if i am honest there are times (when i nip to the loo for example) when Harley and sonic will be unsupervised in a room together.... however if sonic is in a very playful mood i take her with me...not that i think she would hurt Harley but i don't want to take the risk.we have put a baby gate back on Harley room so sonic can't get in there at night. when i was young i was ofte unsupervised with our family dog but that doesn't stop me being cautious .
sonics family
sonics family
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sonic
Dog(s) Ages : 26.06.2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsprafferty Thu Apr 11 2013, 02:16

Both my Staffys are rescue Kia stray age 5-7 ish & Bonzo unwanted Xmas pressie 14wks & they were hear before both my daughter 4 & son 2, the kids are always supervised when out & about (garden etc) but I do keep them separated buy a baby gate durning the day, its the kids I don't trust not the dogs lol, & the reason I don't let them roam upstairs is bonzo wouldn't think twice about pushing my kids out of there beds kiss . But I think its all about making sure the kids have respect for the dogs/the temperament of the dog. When We got Kia we had very little info on her (abused, puppy maker). As a first time parent I did have worries/concerns but they were totally unfounded both of my staffs have have took it in there strides, it all bios down to personnel preferences.Both of mine will return when my daughters call them & both won't let either of the kids out of there sight. So having been a springer owner most of my childhood I can honestly say its staffs all the way for me :-} x

Mrsprafferty
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 11 2013, 02:18

Mrsprafferty wrote:Both my Staffys are rescue Kia stray age 5-7 ish & Bonzo unwanted Xmas pressie 14wks & they were hear before both my daughter 4 & son 2, the kids are always supervised when out & about (garden etc) but I do keep them separated buy a baby gate durning the day, its the kids I don't trust not the dogs lol, & the reason I don't let them roam upstairs is bonzo wouldn't think twice about pushing my kids out of there beds kiss . But I think its all about making sure the kids have respect for the dogs/the temperament of the dog. When We got Kia we had very little info on her (abused, puppy maker). As a first time parent I did have worries/concerns but they were totally unfounded both of my staffs have have took it in there strides, it all bios down to personnel preferences.Both of mine will return when my daughters call them & both won't let either of the kids out of there sight. So having been a springer owner most of my childhood I can honestly say its staffs all the way for me :-} x

hey great post maybe you could come say hello here Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down