Constant Fighting

3 posters

Go down

Constant Fighting  Empty Constant Fighting

Post by DaChaz Tue Apr 09 2013, 09:30

Hiya all, Think we have things on the up but this fighting, biting/ nipping is becoming a HUGE issue, i know its my own fault for having a brother & sister (wish i'd done my homework) updates are,

. now over 8 weeks
. Had first Injections, will get 2nd on 24th
. Worming up2date next lot age 12 weeks
. Diet, Royal Canin
. Toilet Traing, slow but steady progress
. Getting on well with socializing, different houses (In large crate when travelling) people (Friends & Fam) & Other Dogs (fully Vacinated)

however with two young children the niping & biting thing is becoming a nightmare, trying to keep the puppys fully amuzed & entertained when awake is hellish, we have a variety of kong toys & rope toys, which they love but u have to constantly be playing even then they seem to attak each other at random & the aggression level seems tobe rising all the time, cant wait till we can get them out n walked to aid with excersise, any other ideas in the meantime?? ... honestly thinkn one of them will have togo but honestly would be heartbroken Sad

DaChaz
DaChaz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Freya & Patch
Dog(s) Ages : 6 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Constant Fighting  Empty Re: Constant Fighting

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 09:42

It's very premature to be saying one of them might have to go. You joined the forum before you got the puppies, you could've backed out after all the advice people gave you, so you can't say you decided to not heed the advice and take on the responsibility, and now you're finding it too hard and are already considering letting one go.

Anyway, the play-fighting or the fighting, you just have to separate them when they're getting too rough. Yeah, it might be constant, but it's what puppies do, and when they're older they all have their disagreements, so it's just a case of supervising them and making sure they don't get too rough.

The nipping...yeah, it is a nightmare, Loki took ages to stop it, and he was bad for it, proper sinking his teeth into me. I'd imagine it's much worse with two. But it's just temporary, as long as you're consistent with your training, they'll stop. You haven't had them very long, and because you got them earlier than recommended, they might struggle with learning bite inhibition and take a bit longer than usual, but they will get there. When they nip, tell them 'no,' or yelp, and then ignore them completely for a little while. If they continue, put them into another room. It might take a while, it took a while for Loki to get it too, but eventually you notice the nipping is becoming less and less.

Besides playing, do some training with them, teaching them some tricks as well as useful training things like drop it and leave it. The mental stimulation will tire them out too.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaChaz Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:00

Thanks Tara, Glad to hear progress will be made. Its not a consideration of mine getting rid of one at this point, (though its been recommended 2me that I should do) I love them to pieces & they are lovely natured.
Have been using a consisant Traning system, by saying No then ignoring, if persistant then its one min in da hall, Freya seems tobe much more aggressive than Patch but hopefully as you say with persistance things will settle also have been working on learning 'drop it' & 'Sit' they're fast learners Smile

I did join before getting the pups but was as attatched to them then as i am now, was visiting them every chance i got & loved them both even then, could have backed out last minute but was concerned as to where they would end up, as not all 7 have gone to good homes, tho most have xx
DaChaz
DaChaz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:18

But the thing is, you did make the commitment to get two, so however hard it is, you have to stick to it. Get rid of one and they might end up somewhere bad still. I'm not trying to sound harsh or scare you into keeping them because that'd be stupid, but it's not nice when someone talks about considering rehoming one so soon.

At their age it isn't aggression either, either just playing or having a bit of a scrap. Either way, just make sure they're supervised and separate them as needed. They'll calm down a bit more once they're going on walks too, but it's just a case of being persistent with their training. Loki's 11 months old now and is still a pain, but when he's having an extra-naughty day where he annoys me, I like to think about how far he's come, how he doesn't bite anymore now, he doesn't chew things he's not meant to, he's calmer, he loves affection more than he used to, etc. If you're feeling frustrated, take a moment to think of how happy you are they're in your life, and think about them when they're being good Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by DaChaz Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:26

No, I do understand, I have no intention nor have I ever had, to get rid of them, I love them & knew it would be difficult, Its just what something that has been recommended so many times I was beginning to think it was what I Should do :/

They are doing really well, was beyond thrilled that the vet thinks they're lovely healthy happy pups, so thats gotta be good, just need to focus on keeping up the training ect.. the thing thats causing most upset is that they keep Nipping da bairns but hopefully will see progress there soon as well xx ugh.. like having two babys all over again Tongues

DaChaz
DaChaz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:52

Believe me when I say, It WILL improve if you are patient and consistent.. Can't add anymore Tara has summed it up well, they are now your responsibility to teach right from wrong Smile And if you keep at it they will stop the nipping in time..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 10:58

Nipping is just what they do, but if they're getting a bit too excited and playful, you can always move them away from your children for a bit. When they're a bit older and have got the hang of not nipping, they can be around your kids more, but for the time being while they're still learning, perhaps limit their time playing with your kids to when they're a bit calmer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:00

Yes, it should improve with training consistency on your part. Both pups must understand that "No" means no immediately & not in a few seconds time. If you say no & they don't stop what they're doing, don't repeat yourself - step in & remove them from each other/the room.

Having two the same age means you can't be lenient with them as one or the other will spark things off again!

Make sure that they have plenty to occupy their minds - lots of short, seperate, training sessions of about 5 minutes each time, with a few seperate time outs from each other every day. That should give both you, and them a rest! Big Grin

Have you thought about which pup you will get neutered & when? Not pushing (I don't neuter) just asking.

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:24

I got Sierra at 7.5 weeks old and Bailey was about 14 months and the first 2 months or so was absolute hell! Constantly play fighting, but I think it may have been worse because Bailey was older and obviously heavier so they would constantly bang into your legs, into the couches, walls, tables, chairs at wits end I did briefly think of giving Sierra back to the breeder, but she was already a part of the family so that was a no go! 5 months down the line and they still have there wee bouts of play fighting (a lot more noise now though Laughing) but they usually just do their own thing or lie down etc Big Grin

It will get better in time! You could try and get them interested in ice cubes, they were brilliant for us when the pooches were play fighting! A handful of ice cubes in between them and they would chase them round the living room Laughing
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 09 2013, 12:02

Caryll wrote:

Have you thought about which pup you will get neutered & when? Not pushing (I don't neuter) just asking.

Agree this is a very good point to consider
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by DaChaz Tue Apr 09 2013, 13:44

Hiya thanks all, Im determined tobe consistant as it worked with da bairns, hopefully will prove sucessful with da pups as well Smile xx

Were thinking to go with the Vets suggestion (as we don't know all the ins & outs of neutering) Which is to have Patch neutered between 6-8months xx
DaChaz
DaChaz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down