Emotionally confused! :(

5 posters

Go down

Emotionally confused! :( Empty Emotionally confused! :(

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 18:56

Today at work a big chap came back into our care; he stole everyone's heart when he left! He came back in after he'd been rehomed at a pub and they claimed to not know he was missing and that's why he's ended up in a pound absolutely miles away from where they live ect. He still was microchipped to the rescue center so they called up and they went and collected him from the pound today after talking to his owners they said that he was too naughty to keep and they didnt want him back despite all the money an effort spent on him. He came back in his collar he left with WELL over 2 months ago, he was skinnier, his two bottom teeth were snapped off and his coat condition was terrible; yet he was still a happy chappy when he got love and cuddles off all us staff. I was holding his lead sitting on the floor while we were told about his misfortune and while they got his papers and his kenbel nice and set up for him, he's so well behaved and so cuddly and exactly like my girl. Everyone was saying I should take him as ebony and him would look lovely together, ebony definitely misses her brother and loves a good run about with other dogs. I am absolutely in love with this gorgeous lad, he looks like a big bully headed brindle make version of her Love Struck they had a quick meet and they seemed very happy! Waggy tails, happy faces ect. The woman at work was going to have him becaus he really is a diamond but he got rehomed whole she was off work and she has another dog now; 3 in total, had a kid and is pregnant now, had fish, chinchillas and something else which I can't remember Laughing but another young dog would be a bit to much! My mom hasn't said yes, neither has my dad but my mom likes the idea of having another she said she'd just be scared incase they fight one day. Dad said he didn't care, and mom told me to show her a video and some pictures I took! I know my girl likes playing with other dogs, but would she really enjoy having a playmate all the time? She really is a spoilt rotten little girl; all my money and time goes on her and I'm not sure if it'd be fair brining another do into the house but she loves it when dogs are here! I'm really in two minds about it, I'm sure if my mom met him she'd fall in love like she did when she met ebony! I'm so confused about what's best, he's had 5 different homes in total due to no fault of his own. I personally have a massive soft spot for rescue dogs and he really is such a sweetheart I just couldn't imagine how much things would change, if at all? I really wanna get him out the kennels but I just don't know how ebony would feel. I'm sorry for the massive message but I really could do with help outside of the kennels and family as both are pretty one sided. Mom said she'd prefer not having another but she wouldn't mind! Help please??? Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Emotionally confused! :( Empty Re: Emotionally confused! :(

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:05

Well, as for Ebony, you couls go regularly with her to meet him so they bond more and see how they continue getting along, or even take him home on a trial basis. But the important thing is your family (I take it you live with your parents?). He has to be in a stable environment, so if you can provide him with that then go for it if you want to, but it's definitely something to think long and hard on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:19

Well meeting and regular walks and play dates would be no problem as she comes to work with me Big Grin we have a great secure field and meeting environment so that's a very big positive! Yes I still live at home (I'm only 18, 19 in September), I do plan to move out but meanwhile our house is very big as 5 of us used to live here now it's just my mom and dad and me! My dad doesn't really like dogs if I'm honest, I've begged for YEARS before I was allowed one - I wasn't even allowed ebony until my mom met he - my dad wasnt here when they did the home check and he didnt want to meet her either he just stayed in the car; but she literally is my dog, my names on her adoption forms, I paid for all the fences to be changed in the garden, I paid for her to come home, I buy food, I buy vet treatments, treats and toys and have to walk her everyday with no fail (all of which I don't mind of course!) as it was the only condition of me getting her. My family adore her but I do everything with and for her. I think proving to my mom about how good I am with her and how's she's trained and how I spend all time with her is really pushing her on my side; she's seen ebony with other dogs and even spoke about us becoming a foster home (while we have ebony)! I think the only reason she's reluctant because of my dad, but he sees it as one dog is 10 dogs - very old fashioned. I'm also planning to move out within the next couple of years when I have savings behind me to do so, and no doubt he'll be snatched up very quickly at the open day! Even the woman who owns happy staffie rescue said it was a good idea!! It's a very big decision and I want wants best by my dogs as my mom and dad don't really mind as long as I continue to provide and look after them myself! Ugh I just don't know what to do Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:27

Comin from someone who is in the process of bring an abandoned poundy into the family i'd say go for it! lol
I was so torn too, one the one hand i wanted a playmate for Diesel but on the other hand she too is spoilt and all my time goes onto her so i was 1. worried about loosin that bond and time with her and 2. worried she would be extremely jealous.
I will say its a lot more work havin two than i thought, although i kind of love the chaos of it all Laughing
Leroy has settled right in and seems like he's always been here, but Diesel hasn't quite settled down yet, she might need some time to fully adjust but she's coped a lot better than i thought she might, was worried she wouldn't want to share her mum!

My OH wasn't keen on gettin another one and was only half doin it to keep me happy, but now its him that wants to keep him!!
As long as you have thought it all through and they get on and hes introduce to the house properly then i don't see why not!

One thing i will say is though (as i keep getting told cause i volunteer in a dog pound)
You can't bring every dog you feel sorry for home..
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:38

My parents are basically the same; mum's easily persuaded, dad dislikes dogs. They've had dogs their whole lives and my dad's always liked them, just that he's ALWAYS had them so is sick of them now, so they said I could have a dog as long as I do and pay for everything, so I know how you feel. Difference being it's a 100% no to getting a second dog for me (I've tried Laughing), but I think if you can talk them around, definitely you can go for it. But have to make sure it's not going to result in an annoyed dad or anything Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:47

Well it's great to have an opinion from someone whose gone through the whole thought process! Originally we were going to have two, or none! Ebony came in with her brother and they were supposed to be rehomed together but someone took her brother before we'd fully inquired about having the both and I've really wanted another just never really felt that strongly about it yno? We've spoken about it plenty of times but now there's a potential playmate things seem a lot more real now and plenty of doubts are in my head about ebony being upset and what not! The first thought of having doggie friends is great but there's so many things to think about! I was fully ready to cope with the two of them as a pair but bringing another in might upset things I'm just really in two minds about it! I don't want a home trial before I'm sure I want another dog as we'd all get attached to him and it'd make it harder if they didn't get on or if things were too much. I've seen you pictures though and everything looks amazing, in the picture seems like they've been best friends forever Big Grin and ah yes, that's what my mom said to me too! "What about the next dog", but I personally know there won't be, no matter how much I fall for anther dog I couldn't cope with 3 I don't think! I'm very much thinking the same as you about the whole bond thing and not being able to spilt my attention!

Are you glad you went ahead with with it? Any doubts still lingering ect? They're both the same age roughly too!

Tara: oh I see very much the same situation! Dads eh Wink asking for a dog lead to many tears and arguments and I think dad only went along with it because he saw how happy I am around dogs. I'm pretty sure I could persuade mom, if mom agrees with something then it goes Laughing I guess I'm a daddy's girl in some sense so he couldn't stay mad forever Wink hehe. Honestly though, if I could persuade them I'm not sure that it's right! I just have a few little niggles in the back of my mind hmph.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 08 2013, 19:56

Are you able to financially care for 2 dogs, vet bills, insurance and any other treatment needed regularly ?

If you are not able to walk them one day due to being ill who would walk them for you ?

If you want to go on holiday abroad for a week who will care for the dogs ?

I'm sure you have your own list of questions too, can you answer them all honestly then please go ahead and think it through with the rest of your family.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ticklymac Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:06

So far am glad yeah, like i said its been chaos sometimes, instead of trippin over one dog you've got two at your feet following you about, an eh car journeys have been extremely loud - thought Diesel was loud with excitement waitin to get out until i met Leroy...an the more one whines the more the other whines, i just sittin there laughin basking in the craziness! Laughing
Its always been my dream to be surround by dogs though, can't wait til i can buy a bigger house with a massive garden!! day dreaming
I think i've managed to share out the loves quite well, Leroy seems quite an independent dog though, although last night i was lyin on the couch one cuddled into my back and one curled into legs Love Struck
Still a few wee doubts just with money and time, and also its a push to get my mum to watch Diesel so now theres two of them? and i'd never put them in kennels so it does take sum freedom away.
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:18

Kathy : financially I can support the both of them yes, my mom would walk them - she wants me to be responsible but wouldn't see them go without Smile , when I went in holiday with ebony I kenneled her at the place where I work (where she's from) and since I work there they gave me it half prince for the 3 weeks I was gone! And moms looked after ebony while I've been away before too so I have no worries there; but you're right I do have a very healthy list of questions!

Ticklymac: ahh that sounds like absolute bliss! Although quite mad Laughing I can imagine it being busy at times with the two them around! Especially when there's food about Laughing they honestly do seem so well suited! I'm pretty envious right now Laughing Big Grin I'm glad it all worked out though and thanks for helping me too! From what I've seen from the boy in thinking about getting, he's called Dave Laughing , he seems quite needy - longing for cuddles ect where as my girl is always attached to me some how so then again I'm not sure how's it going to work! Neither dog is jealous though which is a bonus! Ohhh I don't know!!! Laughing this will be the death of me Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 20:36

If you feel able and your mum/dad are happy enough with the extra work load, and possible issues that may arise you should go for it. Def sounds like he'd be happy of a decent home Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08 2013, 21:02

Sounds like you are very switched on and are thinking it all out properly so go with your heart , I've not regretted only 2 , double the exercise, do Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 11:54

Well thanks to everyone for replying and helping me out! I think I'm going to give it a few days of thought and thinking about EVERYTHING before I do go ahead with letting them meet again and bond ect! It's just harder seeing his little face at work and having his cuddles and kisses and everyone saying I should take him Laughing I'm sure whatever decision I make within the next couple of days will definitely be the right one after weighing everything up. Thanks again everyone Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Tue Apr 09 2013, 21:39

Take him, take him take him ....... TAKE HIM!!!!!!! Lol.

Jk he sounds fab though and sounds like he needs some love after having a pretty ***tty time of it.

Not much of a constructive comment lol but read through all comments so couldn't read and run x
Otissmummy
Otissmummy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 21:41

Haha that's what everyone says Claire!!! Laughing Any comment giving some sort of opinion is a good comment in my mind Laughing Thanks Big Grin I might post a picture of him on here for everyone to see, I also took a video of him when we first took him down to the kennels I might post too! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otissmummy Tue Apr 09 2013, 21:47

CodlingKid wrote:Haha that's what everyone says Claire!!! Laughing Any comment giving some sort of opinion is a good comment in my mind Laughing Thanks Big Grin I might post a picture of him on here for everyone to see, I also took a video of him when we first took him down to the kennels I might post too! Smile

YAY PICTURES PUHLESSSSSAAE!!! Would be fab if you could so we can all see what the fuss is about Tongues Tongues Tongues
Otissmummy
Otissmummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 04/08/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Apr 09 2013, 22:08

I would love to rescue a second but I don't think Ledger would share me.

Could you 'foster' him for a while or just let him sleep at yours a few nights, I know Ledger in his previous life was stressed by kennels so used to stay with one of the staff out of business hours.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 09 2013, 23:34

Yeah I was thinking about fostering him for a while, but if things didn't work out or something wasn't right it'd break my heart to put him back in kennels especially since he's had so many homes I'm not sure if it'd be to fair on him... There's so many things to think about ah! Is Ledger good with other dogs? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 00:06

Otissmummy wrote:
CodlingKid wrote:Haha that's what everyone says Claire!!! Laughing Any comment giving some sort of opinion is a good comment in my mind Laughing Thanks Big Grin I might post a picture of him on here for everyone to see, I also took a video of him when we first took him down to the kennels I might post too! Smile

YAY PICTURES PUHLESSSSSAAE!!! Would be fab if you could so we can all see what the fuss is about Tongues Tongues Tongues

Laughing Laughing I'll post them into the galleries tomorrow as it takes ages to upload to photobucket on my phone! I'll warn you now the pictures are very crappy quality Laughing he's a lot more handsome in real life too and you can really tell his size! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Wed Apr 10 2013, 00:59

I'd go for it Big Grin I have 3 dogs and don't really think I could have any less now Laughing it's hard work but they're defo worth it Big Grin
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10 2013, 12:02

Thanks for sharing Stuart! Big Grin I've heard so many people say that dogs thrive in pairs or more!

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Apr 10 2013, 14:49

CodlingKid wrote:Is Ledger good with other dogs? Smile

He is nervous of bigger especially intact males but on the whole he is happy to greet all dogs. Since I got him from rescue he has spent the days when I work at my parents house they have a 15yr old springer/collie and she is most definitely alpha they don't play but they happily co-exist and stay in the conservatory together when needed where they have their own armchairs to sleep on

I just quickly learnt that I can't take his toys over there as although Lucky has no interest in toys in general she will pick them up to tease Ledger and will nip him if he tries to take it back.

I just don't know if he would like to share his home maybe in a couple of years
jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down