Raw Diet

4 posters

Go down

Raw Diet Empty Raw Diet

Post by jamesbeil Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:00

I'm considering moving Tyson from kibble to a raw diet, and having read this page, I've been taking a look at the prey-model diet, but I'd love if someone with a bit of experience could tell me a bit more - we're lucky in our town to have a great quality butcher, and I'd like to know how much it costs per week, what sort of cuts you'd get from a butcher, and any sort of essential advice - he's going to the vet's soon, so I'll ask there as well.

Thanks!

jamesbeil
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 17th December 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Raw Diet Empty Re: Raw Diet

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:07

Firstly take what your vet says with a pinch of salt 99% of them will tell you a raw diet will kill your dogs...

Have a look at these links for some guides:

www.preymodelraw.com
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet

I have made friends with butchers, hunters etc to get freebies or deals

Heres a list of suppliers as well:
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19502-raw-food-supplier-list

I personally buy in bulk from DAF

It works out to feed my two boys raw roughly £10-15 a month

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:08

Have a read at these,
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t14787-raw-diet
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t19197-what-s-in-the-bowl-today-graphic-photos-raw

As for cost, it all depends on how good your butcher is! I get all my raw from DAF or Morrisons! I buy in bulk from DAF usually £50-£80 which lasts me about 1-2 months feeding 2 Staffords. Its better to have a freezer for the food as it works out cheaper, I have a chest freezer for my 2! Our member Ella has 2 or 3 freezers for her dogs! The main thing is dont rush into it, read up about it and make sure you have a slight understanding of it. Dont overthink everything, the 'ratios' are only a rough guide and can be tweaked. Dont mention anything about raw to your vet, theyll try and talk you out of it!
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:08

Damn too slow Laughing !
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:09

Hi I feed raw also although I'm not much help with availability and pricing over there, sorry.. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:09

Wink haha i win!

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:10

I need to be more on the ball haha Laughing
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01 2013, 23:12

These are good to read through...

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html
http://rawfed.com/myths/

Take your time & make sure you understand it before you take the plunge. If you need any help, just ask!

P.S. Your vet will probably tell you it's bad for your dog, but thousands of dog woners (and many more every day) are turning to the raw diet for the health of their dogs - especially those with allergies or digestive problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Thu Apr 04 2013, 08:24

My two are on Raw Diets and they love it. Amazing for their teeth, coat and their poos are tiny because they can digest it all!

Vets will just say its bad but personally I think its the best diet they can be on as its what they would eat if they were in the wild and does not contain added nasties. My two also get a tin of mackerel every week for those added oils!

They love it.
Robyn2202
Robyn2202
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Zeke
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year & 3 months
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesbeil Thu Apr 04 2013, 09:01

Robyn2202 wrote:My two are on Raw Diets and they love it. Amazing for their teeth, coat and their poos are tiny because they can digest it all!

Vets will just say its bad but personally I think its the best diet they can be on as its what they would eat if they were in the wild and does not contain added nasties. My two also get a tin of mackerel every week for those added oils!

They love it.

The vet was actually behind it, although she did suggest waiting until Tyson was 8 months so that we could make sure all his bones grew properly.

What exactly do you feed them? Our local butchers don't stock anything you might consider a 'dog's dinner', and I don't think I can afford to give Tyson a rump steak every day for the next fifteen years!

jamesbeil

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 17th December 2012
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Thu Apr 04 2013, 10:33

Hi,
I buy at Morrisons or butchers - hearts, chicken wings etc.
I used to order from Honey's Dog Food which was quite expensive (around 3,50 per day for one dog, organic, free range) and now I ordered from Raw to Go which is much cheaper. They both offer minced mixture where there are bones, meat and offals minced together. I know it defeats the purpose because then the dog does not chew but I order chicken/duck wings, chicken/duch/turkey necks etc. as well so Stella has something to crunch often. I like the mixed mince because it ensures that Stella gets offals as well (she does not eat offals otherwise). She gets goats milk and salmon oil as well as bone meal when she was smaller.

The raw from Honey's used to cost me around 100-120 per month, now it should be around 40 with the cheaper supplier.
http://honeysrealdogfood.com/
http://rawtogo.co.uk/ProductsandPrices.aspx.htm

It is the best, I think, for a dog, and it is so much fun watching her crunching her meals Love Struck The best is a whole poussin from Sainsbury's or a huge turkey neck, it is very impressive to watch Love Struck I got some lamb feet recently...I might not watch that Surprised And Stella is in an excellent condition, shiny coat, full of life Love Struck
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Raw Diet Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:31

jamesbeil wrote:
Robyn2202 wrote:My two are on Raw Diets and they love it. Amazing for their teeth, coat and their poos are tiny because they can digest it all!

They love it.

The vet was actually behind it, although she did suggest waiting until Tyson was 8 months so that we could make sure all his bones grew properly.

What exactly do you feed them? Our local butchers don't stock anything you might consider a 'dog's dinner', and I don't think I can afford to give Tyson a rump steak every day for the next fifteen years!

No need to wait until 8 months the younger you start the better, my Harvs been on raw from a pup and done amazingly on it

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Fri Apr 05 2013, 08:53

I get this raw diet that is already made for them so you don't have to chop up any dead animal or organs. Its in a tub and it looks like raw mushed up sausage meat but its chicken and it contains like blood, bits of carrots to help them digest, raw bone etc. One thing that I do give them extra is obviously the oily fish just to give them the added nutrients. My mum does the same thing and she gives her rotties the same but adds tripe and they get big raw bones to chew on. I don't like the idea of giving them full rabbits that would creep me out but I do love giving them the raw diet as it contains everything they need and no added rubbish! You also give them smaller amounts as it does not contain water or the additives that dry/wet food does that makes the dog feel full. So in the recommended portion (although it looks like nothing for my dogs) its all they need. Ooo and when they do number 2s its amazing because there is like hardly anything there as they have digested it all! I love it. Big Grin
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Robyn2202 Fri Apr 05 2013, 08:54

Sorry to add this but the raw meat I get for my puppy is actually puppy raw meat so it has everything he needs in there.
Robyn2202
Robyn2202

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri Apr 05 2013, 09:33

There's not actually a "puppy" version of raw, it's still the exact same as an adult would get. My pup started raw at 7.5 weeks old and was on everything my 19month old boy can eat, obviously in moderation to her size ie chicken carcass, wings, leg quarters etc as the bone is easier for a pup to eat than a bit of ox tail, or beef ribs etc! Also dogs don't need veg, veg is mostly a filler, they don't get much if any nutrients from veg!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down