Barking

3 posters

Go down

Barking Empty Barking

Post by Crazydoll86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 09:52

Our boy Floyd has started acting more aggressive in the past few weeks. He is a cute little pup but he start barking at people and dogs the past weeks. I tried to teach him the quiet command that is working very well with our AB girl but he stop for a few second and start it over. Even the middle of the night if he hear noises outside. I like that he is guarding but I don't want the neighbours to be angry. Especially they have a small baby. Somebody have any advice how to stop him?
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : In relationship
Dog(s) Ages : Floyd
Dog Gender(s) : Light brown-brindle stripes
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Barking Empty Re: Barking

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 10:27

I wouldn't call it aggression, dogs bark for lots of different reasons. Does he bark at people and dogs because he wants to play with them? And how have you been teaching him 'quiet'? When we went to puppy classes, every time another dog barked, we gave Loki a treat, so eventually he learnt that staying quiet is a good thing. In situations where he barks, interrupt him and get his attention, and when he's focused on you, give him a treat, maybe do a bit of training with him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 10:36

I agree with Tara it dosen't sound like aggression, have a read through this it may help you determine why he is barking and give you some ideas how to stop it.

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t25000-prevent-and-stop-excessive-barking

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 11:38

Tommy is a big barker in the house at the slightest noise, quite scary when he hears something at 3am and startles you , but he cries more when we are out and never barks at other dogs , they are all so different though and thats why we think the way we do about them Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30 2013, 12:07

I don't think it is indicating aggression. Logan is quite a barker tbh, but it is more to do with frustration and boredom. Just make sure he has enough mental and physical exercise during the day and it'll def help. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazydoll86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 14:13

He don't wanna play with them he don't like men. We noticed that. And yesterday our girl Chelsea met with another boy dog on walk sniffed each other. Floyd stepped in the middle and tried to snap the dog. Each time he bark we say quiet when he stop we praise him and give him a treat. Of if he stop first before we say quiet we give him a treat and say good boy quiet Floyd. We are planning to go to training classes with them cuz our girl will be big she know how to heel but the beginning of the walk she like to pull. At the moment we half way moving to Glasgow so we can't start until the house is ready and we moved.
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazydoll86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 14:15

Big Grin Tara thanks your advice we gonna try that. Although its hard to get his attention he is all tensed in the situation. About the mental and physical exercise. He is basically glued to Chelsea. We can't exercise them or play with them without each other and if we trying to play and he got the toy he walk away and play alone. He is very good with training he copies. Chelsea so he already know sit lay down up paw hi 5 and hi10 lol they got enough excercise we have a big garden where they can play around and each day they go for a walk between one and half, two hour long. He likes chasing rabbits. Lol
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Mar 30 2013, 17:04

Bacchus isn't really a barker but there has been the odd occasion when I stand and chat to other dog walkers and he becomes bored/impatient and barks for attention. When he does this I totally ignore him and ask whoever I'm talking to to do the same. I don't even give him the "quiet " command as IMO this is a form of attention which is what he is hoping to achieve. As I say it's quite a rare occurrence so not really a barking " problem".
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazydoll86 Sat Mar 30 2013, 17:28

Ok we will try this as well if the quiet command not working. Thank u very much.
Crazydoll86
Crazydoll86

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Mar 30 2013, 18:21

Tank will bark when he hears strange noises, it's not an agressive bark, he will just 'woof!' and not more - kinda like alerting us to something odd.
One night he did it - my daughters bike was being stolen.

Barks can mean lots of things, rarely aggressive.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down