Barking

4 posters

Go down

Barking Empty Barking

Post by Kelsbels Mon Jan 27 2014, 17:34

Nico has recently started barking at us for what appears to be no reason, he always barks when he needs out, but even when he's just back from a walk, fed, played with and got toys about he just barks and jumps on us for nothing, we have tried settling him down on the sofa beside us in case it is just cuddles he's after but he just keeps jumping on us. When we tell him no he just keeps barking, cheeky thing! I've tried distracting him but it doesn't last long, tried walking away, the minute we sit down again he starts again. Currently attempting time outs but even that doesn't seem to be working. He's getting about 4 good walks a day, sometimes  an extra wee 1 or 2 quick jaunts, any ideas?
Kelsbels
Kelsbels
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Nico
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 95

Back to top Go down

Barking Empty Re: Barking

Post by Guest Mon Jan 27 2014, 19:00

At about the same age Kuchar couldn't bear to see me sit down. He could bear me being up and around doing housework etc, but if I sat down for a rest he thought I should be playing with him and would stand in front of me and shout at me, even jumping up, and it sounds to me as if Nico is the same - they have unbelievable amounts of energy at that age! Kuchar still does it aged 2 but not quite so much.

Have you tried playing Fetch with you still sitting down? I find that 5 or 10 minutes of that will wear him out and he'll then settle. Alternatively, giving him a stuffed Kong, cow hoof or stag antler might do the trick.

Good luck! One certainly needs a lot of stamina with a boisterous dog  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Mon Jan 27 2014, 20:22

I can only really think to ignore him so he realises it doesn't get him anywhere!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by freakyfairy75 Sun Oct 19 2014, 17:25

Sorry I can't offer help but I can empathise! My little rescue pup does the same thing. I'm an insomniac so will normally be up until about 3am, but when my hubby goes up to bed, within about 30 mins, she'll suddenly get up stand in front of me and bark!
She's does it sometimes during the day as well and time outs and ignoring doesn't work. Time outs in her cage doesn't stop her barking and ignoring her just makes her louder! The only thing that works is stopping what I'm doing and pay her attention! Rod for my own back but I can't have her upsetting the neighbours! xxx
freakyfairy75
freakyfairy75
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Eddie (RIP 09/2014) and Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 8yrs and 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Oct 19 2014, 22:29

Have you taught the quiet command?
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by freakyfairy75 Mon Oct 20 2014, 17:27

JStaff wrote:Have you taught the quiet command?

We've had a manic bad time since we rescued Lola and she hasn't really had the time needed to 'train' her! When we got her in February she was almost completely untrained and has learnt the basics and few tricks quite quickly but some of the commands she picks up on the first few tries she then 'forgets' when convenient for her i.e. On bed, she picked this up quickly but every now and then instead of going into her cage as she normally does she jumps ON the cage and will then bark again! She's a cantankerous little thing!
We just not used to it as Eddie only ever barked if there was someone at the door, she barks at everything but the door!! As far as Lola is concerned I know she can do it it's just a case of perseverance and repetition! x x
freakyfairy75
freakyfairy75

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Eddie (RIP 09/2014) and Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 8yrs and 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down