chasing cats

4 posters

Go down

chasing cats Empty chasing cats

Post by canthavethat Tue Mar 26 2013, 23:56

Rocky goes so hard for cats in the street. The other day the damn stupid flexi lead slipped off its lock and he went right through a hedge after a cat before I could sort the lead out. He's never actually caught a cat yet, but I'm worried if he did he would really have it. My last dog (staff cross) would be in kill mode right up until the cat turned and looked at him, then the dog was "now what do I do?" Laughing but Rocky well I'm really not sure he would stop, unless maybe the cat got in first with a swipe.

Apart from staffs who live with cats, interested to hear about anyone's staffs who have chased and caught up with a cat. What happened?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

chasing cats Empty Re: chasing cats

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:02

Loki is very interested in cats but not to run after, just to look at. One of the cats near us rubbed itself up against Loki and he got confused and the cat got angry Laughing. So I don't think he'd care, but he might hurt/kill a cat by playing with one if he had the opportunity. I don't think he'd purposely hurt one though because he doesn't have much of a prey drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:19

I think any dog will chase after something that runs away from him as a natural instinct.

I had a Dobermann who was brought up with cats and if on the rare occasion she met a cat who stood its ground, she would put her nose up to it to say hello and inevitably got a great scratch for her friendliness. But, if on meeting a cat it ran away, then she would chase! Instinct.

ref the lock on your lead, Kuchar so persistently managed to disengage the normal thumb release lock, that I now use a heavy duty mountaineer type carabiner - I wish I didn't have to but it's the only thing that keeps his lead attached to his collar!

Back to top Go down

Post by danielirl Wed Mar 27 2013, 00:56

same with my max is crazy i think will kill the cat
danielirl
danielirl
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
chasing cats Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Mar 27 2013, 07:29

All the dogs I've had would chase a strange cat given the chance and they've all lived with cats. Thankfully never found out whether they'd have killed if they had the opportunity.

It's not rare. Many dogs see cats as prey, especially terriers and breeds like greyhounds. I know Roy Hattersley's dog Buster killed his neighbour's cat Sad

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 08:45

Luckily Logan is quite good with cats. He's ok with everything except big dogs where it can be a bit of a nightmare at times!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 09:09

Alfies not really bothered by cats - he likes birds. I think if given half the chance he would definitely have one!

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Wed Mar 27 2013, 09:49

Lynda wrote:I think any dog will chase after something that runs away from him as a natural instinct.

I had a Dobermann who was brought up with cats and if on the rare occasion she met a cat who stood its ground, she would put her nose up to it to say hello and inevitably got a great scratch for her friendliness. But, if on meeting a cat it ran away, then she would chase! Instinct.

So true. Mine both walked past a stationary cat last night without too much fuss.

Lynda wrote:ref the lock on your lead, Kuchar so persistently managed to disengage the normal thumb release lock, that I now use a heavy duty mountaineer type carabiner - I wish I didn't have to but it's the only thing that keeps his lead attached to his collar!

It's an extendable lead, the part in your hand that locks the length. Tends to slip unlocked when lead is slack. Nightmare when you're waiting at a road, or when a cat appears Sad
Personally I think the world would be a better place without domestic cats Big Grin but I wouldn't want someone to lose their pet courtesy of my dogs!

Last edited by canthavethat on Wed Mar 27 2013, 10:08; edited 1 time in total
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27 2013, 10:01

Suki hates cats. We just keep treats with us and have worked on her watch me command so if we see the cat first we can distract her

Back to top Go down

Post by jayfrater Wed Mar 27 2013, 11:36

butkus just wants to be friends with everyone! he wont chase anything and always rolls over on his back to play! last week we bumped into a chihuaua in the park and he actually hid behind me. such a "dangerous dog"! im not sure if his reluctance to chase things comes from laziness though, he seems to just sort of give up if anything isnt right in front of him, or sits down with his nose in the air just looking at whats going on! im wondering if its just because he wasnt walked a lot with his previous owners and hes not really sure what to do lol!
jayfrater
jayfrater
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Butkus
Dog(s) Ages : 18m
Dog Gender(s) : M

Back to top Go down