worried about ham bone I have given dog

4 posters

Go down

worried about ham bone I have given dog Empty worried about ham bone I have given dog

Post by densil Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:22

I bought a mediterranean natural snacks large ham bone for Densil. It was one of those vacuum sealed ones in a pack which has a bit of meat on it. In less than an hour he had more or less eaten all of it by breaking it up. He seems ok but am a bit worried as to whether it was ok for him to eat it. I thought he would just chew it. anyway will keep a close eye on him. Just not sure about bones - some people say they are ok and others not.
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
worried about ham bone I have given dog Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

worried about ham bone I have given dog Empty Re: worried about ham bone I have given dog

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:25

Keep a close eye. Personally i would never give a cooked and vaccum packed bone to a dog, esp which has so much salt.

Raw bones from the butcher are okay and you can get them cheaper.

Back to top Go down

worried about ham bone I have given dog Empty Re: worried about ham bone I have given dog

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:26

Whenever I gave Logan a bone like that he ate far too much as was sick straight after. He also broke the bone and it had splintered so I threw it away. I don't think I'd give him one again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:27

As Hayley says, they're not a good idea. They're all cooked & can splinter. Hopefully the only problem he may get is constipation!

Just keep an eye on him & if he seems unable to eat/drink (or keeps throwing up) then take him to the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:32

i would not advice these, tyke has had in the past and he just throws up and poos, keep an eye on him Smile

have you tried a stag bar before?
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 14:33

Not a good idea, I gave Loki one once and he choked or it went down the wrong way, he was screeching and running around terrified Sad. Just keep an eye on him. But ideally you don't give him any cooked bones. Raw ones are OK, but cooked ones can splinter and cause damage.

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Wed Mar 20 2013, 15:41

Thanks - he is snoring his head off at the moment - worn out, lol. I have got stag bars but he isn't much interested in them. I smear them with peanut butter or honey and he will lick that off, have a bit of a chew, and then not bother any more. He likes rawhide bones/rings but I know these are not good for dogs either. Just trying to find something he can safely chew.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Wed Mar 20 2013, 16:22

Monty loves them... he has at least 2 a week, always eats the whole thing and never had a problem. I would'nt worry to be honest.
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by rebeccaleanne Wed Mar 20 2013, 17:13

densil wrote:Thanks - he is snoring his head off at the moment - worn out, lol. I have got stag bars but he isn't much interested in them. I smear them with peanut butter or honey and he will lick that off, have a bit of a chew, and then not bother any more. He likes rawhide bones/rings but I know these are not good for dogs either. Just trying to find something he can safely chew.

What about something from the butchers? As a treat people give lamb spine.
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:03

Butcher bones are great and healthy. I get cow legs or lamb spine or anything big and nommy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20 2013, 20:34

If you have a Morrisons supermarket near you, most of them have their own butcher & will sell raw lambs spines & ribs from time to time - dirt cheap & great for a dog's teeth!

Back to top Go down

Post by dan12345 Thu Mar 21 2013, 02:16

Bettys eat one in a day or two, she was fine, Very tough!
dan12345
dan12345
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Betty
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Thu Mar 21 2013, 06:50

Thanks all, he seems fine and I will definately try the (one) butcher we have in town to see if I can get some bones - otherwise it will be a long bus trip.
I had bought some bones from a pet store before, and these were just lying loose in a box and they were great big bones - he never managed to break any bits off those - and I had assumed they were raw bones, so next time I go in there I will check but I suspect they have been cooked.
densil
densil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 21 2013, 11:22

If they were just lying in a basket, then they were cooked! Raw bones would have to be refrigerated or they'd attract flies & go off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down