Underweight Staffordshire Pup

3 posters

Go down

Underweight Staffordshire Pup Empty Underweight Staffordshire Pup

Post by Fhoou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:07

Hi Everyone,

As you may be aware i am new to this wonderful site, dedicated to Mans best friend, hopeing to get some helpful and much needed advice as recently we found a puppy which we think may be a staffordshire pup around 3 months of age that was wandering the streets and to our horror no one has claimed, we took him to the vet to see if he had a microchip but no such luck we have door knocked our whole area now for 2 weeks still no one has claimed him.. so we have decided to keep him and give him a loving home, we took him to the vet as he looks underweight and was larthargic and skinny, popped him on the scales and he was just on 5kg we payed for worming tablets and advantage as he also had fleas quite badly, introduced him to our Jessie who also is a staffordshire bullterrier, she is 11 years old and we purchased her from a registed breeder from the canine control centre (papered), anyway Jessie just adores him Mothers him as she has never had a litter she now has so much more energy, anyway We have been feeding him Pal Puppy biscuits, puupy meat n puppy milk not sure of what other supermarket brands that r good as we dont have alot of money so that is my question if anyone can help cheap puppy food but not nasty , (we dont feed Jessie dog food as it upsets her tummy, we feed Jessie what we eat steak n veg an rice n chick) i asked the vet if we can just feed him what we give Jessie but she suggested not too.. we feed him 4 times a day to try to increase his weight gain, i set the alarm to get up in the middle of the night to feed him, i must admit though after we wormed him i noticed his stool was just a stool of worm eggs n dead worms it was really bad, we meausred him too he is 10.24 inches so not sure if that is right height either ... we dont know at this stage if he is cross, or what his parents are like i will change my profile page picture to him also to see what you all think.
Fhoou
Fhoou
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jessie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Underweight Staffordshire Pup Empty Re: Underweight Staffordshire Pup

Post by Fhoou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:12

Profile Picture is of the pup.
Fhoou
Fhoou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:32

He is gorg, my Tyson was just like that when we bought him really skinny i will try and post you a picture of then and now. He was riddled with worms and fleas, give it a couple of weeks of regular meals and loads of love and you will soon see a difference[img]https://i.servimg.com/u [url=https://servimg.com/view/16048219/58]Underweight Staffordshire Pup Little11
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:34

Underweight Staffordshire Pup Big11 Tyson now
princesslou
princesslou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fhoou Sun Mar 06 2011, 01:44

O he is just beautiful, it did break my heart to know that no-one missed him, we will keep going i am just so glad that we saved him from worms.. and i hope that pal food is okay to be feeding him as it has been a long time since we had a pup and getting used to his chewing on everything again Smile
Fhoou
Fhoou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Sun Mar 06 2011, 02:19

Im not sure if you have pets at home store but we feed Wainwrights if very reasonable and has great ingredients. Kong toys are great which you can fill, have been undestructable so far lol
princesslou
princesslou

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06 2011, 08:52

maybe once the worming tablets have worked he may start putting weight on then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06 2011, 09:54

princesslou wrote:Im not sure if you have pets at home store but we feed Wainwrights if very reasonable and has great ingredients. Kong toys are great which you can fill, have been undestructable so far lol

Good advice there.

I'd try to get him off the wet food as it's no good for his teeth. Wainwrights is a good quality own-label dry food from Pets at Home & as far as I know they do a puppy range which you could try. They don't need as much dry food as they do wet, so although a bag may seem expensive, it'll work out cheaper in the long run.

Good job you got him wormed, sounds like it was a really bad infestation, poor thing. You should now worm him every month until he's 6 months old and then every 3 months for life because they can pick up worms from almost anywhere they go! Try to get a wormer that includes lung worm - they can pick those up from snails & slugs & can give the dog breething problems. Now he's been wormed he should be able to 'use' his food better & will start to put on weight.

His hight sounds about right for a young pup, & he'll be a fairly tall staff by the sound of it.

Welocome to the forum, by the way, your pup looks a beauty!

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Mar 07 2011, 20:50

Aww what a shame all those worms and fleas at such a young age some evil people around but least she has a loving home now and im sure in a few weeks you will see a big defference
youngkaiser
youngkaiser
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 07 2011, 23:38

Hi & welcome to the forum
Would love to see pics as the weeks go by to see how much she changes now she has a forever home. Good work thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08 2011, 06:02

..what a cutie pie!! He is so lucky you found him.. dread to think what might have happened to him. He is one of the lucky ones.. sounds like he has landed on his paws!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down