Does he need flea and wormer every month?

+9
Griffin5
jojobda
pattitxbda
goldie87
Galadriel
Kathy
racamoe
janey
Diplomat
13 posters

Go down

Does he need flea and wormer every month? Empty Does he need flea and wormer every month?

Post by Diplomat Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:07

Hi

Currently Samson goes to the vet every 4 weeks for a quick check and to get weighed. He also recieves advocate all in one flea and wormer. Now the wormer only costs £10 something but does he need it every month for the rest of his life? He is 6 months at the end of march? I don't mind continuing to get it for him if its needed but don't want to paying out for it if not. Also if not needed should I be giving him anything else?

Cheers
Diplomat
Diplomat
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Does he need flea and wormer every month? Empty Re: Does he need flea and wormer every month?

Post by janey Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:09

I don't use flea treatment on Moo, but she does get wormed every 3 months with Drontal Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Does he need flea and wormer every month? Empty Re: Does he need flea and wormer every month?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:10

Over here worming is recommended every two months. I brought Logan to the vets a while back and they said some people do a flea treatment every 5 weeks. But I don't personally. He has only had it once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:18

do you have many slugs snails and frogs in your area ????as this is the only timei would be using advocate every month if not
drontal worming every 3 months would be enough
and flea treatment only as a when needed due to not likeing to use cemicals when not needed Does he need flea and wormer every month? 779277

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Wed Mar 13 2013, 10:38

We wormed every 3 month but never flead .
racamoe
racamoe

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 11:28

I never de-flea unless there are fleas present, and I worm every three months with a wormer from the vet that covers lungworm as well as the round and tape worms.

I won't use advocate because it's such a strong mixture of chemicals & monthly is too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Mar 13 2013, 11:32

Rocky has Drontal worming treatment every 3 months too, and flea treatment every 2 months, we do have a problem in our area with them.

To answer your question, wormer every 3 months, flea treatment as and when needed.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Mar 13 2013, 12:15

Puppies should be wormed monthly until 6 months then every 3-6 months after that depending on lifestyle, area you live etc.

I don't treat for flees as they don't have them but now Elmo is over 6 months, it's Milbemax every three months here Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Mar 13 2013, 12:30

Galadriel wrote:Puppies should be wormed monthly until 6 months then every 3-6 months after that depending on lifestyle, area you live etc.

I don't treat for flees as they don't have them but now Elmo is over 6 months, it's Milbemax every three months here Smile

Exactly what I've done!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed Mar 13 2013, 12:38

goldie87 wrote:
Galadriel wrote:Puppies should be wormed monthly until 6 months then every 3-6 months after that depending on lifestyle, area you live etc.

Exactly what I've done!

thumbs up

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 13:03

Mine get a wormer bit only get a flea treatment when they need it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by pattitxbda Wed Mar 13 2013, 13:17

The Vet said Marley doesn't need the flea every month but we have been doing it every month as there is also a cat that stays indoor/outdoor so we are taking precautions.
pattitxbda
pattitxbda
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marley, Tilly
Dog(s) Ages : 4 years and 10 months, 1 year and 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 13:32

I don't and have never had to flea treat, but i would think where you live might have fleas more often. But i would only flea if you see a flea, not to prevent them. The worming, that should be done every 3 months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diplomat Wed Mar 13 2013, 14:26

Ok thanks for all the replies guys really appreciate it.

I will stop using the advocate then but from now on worm every 3 months.

There are toads and slugs etc in the area and we live not far from a dam so you do see the odd Toad in the garden.

So use drontal instead then?

Cheers
Diplomat
Diplomat

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 13 2013, 14:30

Ask your vet which wormer he would recommend against lungworm (other than advocate! Big Grin ).

I use Milbemax, but I don't know if it's the same where you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by jojobda Wed Mar 13 2013, 14:55

Are there any heartworm/flea chewable all in ones? the stuff that i have to put on marleys neck smells the whole room up for a couple of days.
jojobda
jojobda
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Does he need flea and wormer every month? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : Oct. 16 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 40

https://www.facebook.com/jordan.trott.754

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffin5 Sun Mar 17 2013, 15:33

We joined a puppy plan and get flea treatment every month and worming every 3....the Advocate stinks though and I don't like putting it on Charlie Sad We have a cat too and was conscious he might get them from cat! Do they just scratch more when they get fleas?
Griffin5
Griffin5

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1yr 2mnths
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sun Mar 17 2013, 20:27

I don't regularly worm/flea. Instead I'm going to start sending samples to www.wormcount.com and worm if necessary.
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17 2013, 20:51

After they were puppies, I never wormed or anti-flead my dobermanns, and they were as fit as you-know-whats. UNTIL my second Dobe got fleas and brought them home - I never thought it would happen as a Dobe's coat is even thinner and finer than a Staff's. It took Frontline to get rid of them, on the dog and in the house. She had Frontline treatment ever after - no more fleas.

Well times change and we got our Staff pup last year and part of the puppy plan scheme was monthly treatment with Advocate. I've learned a bit more about all the different worms since my Dobe days so did the monthly treatment, although my dog's hair is so thick on the back of his neck that I am never sure how much gets onto his actual skin and therefore into his system.

Well the February monthly treatment was missed because the puppy plan thing ran out - I didn't fret because his first booster injection is coming up and I'll get it all sorted out again then.

BUT, Kuchar sleeps on and often in my bed, and in the last few days (nights) Something has Bitten me and I Itch! Sad

So, much as I agree with the theory of over medication of our dogs, Advocate will be back again.

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Mar 17 2013, 22:46

thanks for this question. I have been advocate (ing) every month and recently every time I do it she seems to itch a lot. Will just be doing drontal every 3 months now. thanks
julespercules
julespercules

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by shazney Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:23

Bruno gets de-flead and wormed on the 22nd of every month, I am hoping when he's fully grown I will be able to buy the stuff from the shops instead as he will be at a weight he will stay at hopefully once an adult.
shazney
shazney

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 10 wks
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by marley'smummy Sun Mar 24 2013, 15:28

We are also part of our vets vip plan so we get advocate every month and the wormer for every 3 months never had any problems x
marley'smummy
marley'smummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB-19/08/2012
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down