Submissive

2 posters

Go down

Submissive Empty Submissive

Post by Tony n Jane Sun Mar 03 2013, 06:48

Nobody wants an angry aggressive dog but my Ella just does'nt realize what she is and the power she possesses. She is ultra submissive to all dogs that we meet and that includes Little yappy things too. It saddens me sometimes to see her dominated by other dogs, she will assume the position down low head bowed, ears back, tail between her legs, mouth wide, she waits until the pecking order has been sorted out (she is usually at the bottom) then she will cautiously play. I dont want her to be aggressive but i would love to see her with a bit more confidence. Any ideas?
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Submissive Top_ra10

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down

Submissive Empty Re: Submissive

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03 2013, 07:58

I might be wrong, but submissiveness isn't the same as fear or nervousness. Just like dominance isn't always the same as aggression. Is she actually nervous or not confident with other dogs, or is that just her natural temperament where she's willing to keep the peace and not cause any trouble? Because Loki is a very confident dog, he's not scared of anything (except hairdryers Big Grin), and he'll play with anyone and any thing...but he is very submissive when meeting new dogs, he'll let dogs boss him about and won't fuss about it, if a dog tries to attack him or snaps at him, he'll completely back off, etc. So are you sure it's a negative thing that Ella is that submissive?

I can't really think of how to make her gain more confidence, really. Is it with all dogs or just strange ones? If you know any calm, friendly dogs for her to regularly meet and play with, maybe she'll realise she doesn't have to be so submissive? I'm not really sure though, sorry Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03 2013, 08:55

Agree with Tara on this. Suki is like that with dogs she hasn't met as well and if she gets snapped at she will simply back off and not respond in kind. I look at it as a good thing and a result of being well socialized.

Back to top Go down

Post by racamoe Sun Mar 03 2013, 09:22

I would much rather have a dog like this than one that is aggresive. I am not sure how you would go about building her confidence a wee bit.
Perhaps finding a quiet gentle dog that she can play with regularly , although that is easier said than done ?
Hope someone who knows more than me can help Smile
racamoe
racamoe
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Holly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony n Jane Sun Mar 03 2013, 09:32

Thanks all, she loves to play with other dogs and has a good old run around, she is not nervous and will often make the first move to say hello even with barking and growling dogs but will always let the other dog or bitch dominate and stand over her. Yes i agree with Sarah, would never want her to be aggressive, its jus so sad when she looks at me with another dog stood over her, i can almost hear her cry out for help Sad
Tony n Jane
Tony n Jane
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Submissive Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and half
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 54

Back to top Go down