Rough play!

3 posters

Go down

Rough play! Empty Rough play!

Post by LynneAJ Tue Feb 12 2013, 22:40

Ok so Poppy is my first ever puppy hence the amount of questions i have posted on here Laughing

The thing is shes always been quite mouthy/bitey since we first got her at 9 weeks! I have worked on it and she has gradually lessened in this behaviour although not completely! I understand her getting older is of significance also.

The thing is she is now 5 and a 1/2 months and occasionally still nips as the kids....to be fair its not in an aggresive way, its more shes tryin to get their attention or play. I dont like this behaviour tho so she gets into trouble for it

Ok so i'm waffling on....my question is this....My partner plays with her quite roughly sometimes and Poppy gets worked up and starts mouthing/biting. She doesn't behave like this with me because she knows not to! My partner seems to think its ok because shes only playing but i disagree....she needs to know biting is not acceptable in any form (don't get me wrong she never draws blood but still...) So whos right?

All advice welcome thanks x
LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Rough play! Empty Re: Rough play!

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13 2013, 00:38

You are both right. It's a much safer approach if she doesn't play rough with anyone to ensure that she won't bite or nip to try to start play.

That being said I play rough with Suki almost every day. She will cause a bruise and draw blood on occassion but I'm fine with it. I also made sure that she will only do this with me and than only when I initiate the play and end it on my terms. Also please make sure your OH realizes that she will get alot bigger and stronger and if he plays rough when she is a pup she will expect to keep doing so as an adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Feb 14 2013, 08:56

I think its ok for a bit of rough play, they love it but they need to know when the game is finnished!! Katy tends to get over excited when playing with OH & continues to bite him. We keep a spray bottle of water to hand & only have to show it to her now & she calms down Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Rough play! B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:27

jstaff wrote:You are both right. It's a much safer approach if she doesn't play rough with anyone to ensure that she won't bite or nip to try to start play.

That being said I play rough with Suki almost every day. She will cause a bruise and draw blood on occassion but I'm fine with it. I also made sure that she will only do this with me and than only when I initiate the play and end it on my terms. Also please make sure your OH realizes that she will get alot bigger and stronger and if he plays rough when she is a pup she will expect to keep doing so as an adult

I'm the exact same with Zeus as Jstaff, Zeus only plays rough with me, and not my Mum or Sister. He does need to be disciplined not to bite/nip, and the most effective way for me was to pick him up and put him in another room as a form of punishment, then let him back in after a minute or so. I used this technique for almost all unwanted behaviour that Zeus had and it worked really well. He now knows that we only play rough when I initiate it, not when he does.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down