StuW
rebeccaleanne
brutusindubai
7 posters

Go down

Neutering????? Empty Neutering?????

Post by brutusindubai Tue Feb 05 2013, 15:51

Hi All,
Not sure if this should be here or in the health section sorry.

I have just finished reading the article that was posted with regards to the pros/cons of spaying/neutering your dog. Whilst I have no intention of breeding Brutus, I was 100% against having him neutered as I never felt it was something to be done. Growing up all of our dogs, german shepherd, rottweiler, mongrels, labs all kept their man parts. Recently though, I have been wondering that given we don't want to breed him, should we have him fixed.

I would be interested to know the views of folk on the forum who decided to get their male dogs fixed. Especially those who have young children/expecting kids. We are expecting our first child in approximately 4 months, and whilst I have no concerns at all over our dog, did anyone notice a change in their dog following the op, or did they purposely get the dog neutered due to having young kids? Just to add, our neighbours all have kids and whilst Brutus is only 8 months, he is brilliant with them and nobody has been/raised concerns about their kids playing with him. One of the reasons why we chose a Staffordshire in the first place.

Thanks

josh
brutusindubai
brutusindubai
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Brutus
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year, woo hoo
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Neutering????? Empty Re: Neutering?????

Post by rebeccaleanne Tue Feb 05 2013, 15:59

hi, we had tyke neutured just not long after we had our little boy we have had tyke since a pup and there is 5 months between tyke and our son) I had tyke done so there would be less chance of him humping people and other animals and we were recommended that it would calm him down and not be as boystrous etc I would recommend but im sure others wouldnt. i think its peoples preference

Big Grin
rebeccaleanne
rebeccaleanne
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyke
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 16:03

If it isn't broken don't fix it. That is my view. Also, on the behavioural side, that is a load of rubbish. Neutering will have little to no effect on behaviour. It is just a line vets throw out because they have figure out that it makes people want to neuter early because they're afraid of the bad behaviour associated with entire males. I have never had any problem with entire males and i have worked with hundreds of dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:05

After weighing things up I decided not to neuter Logan until it ever comes to the point where I have to. I can't think why this may be however.

Albeit, it's totally up to the individual and I'm not against it. Logan is my first ever male dog as I've always had females in the past and I've always had them spayed.

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:19

I've not had Bailey neutered and I don't plan on it anytime soon really. He's never humped or shown aggression, so I don't see any reason to get him done! Sierra hasn't been done either and not planning on getting her done. Unless medically necessary obviously lol!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:37

i'm all for if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I am not for routine neutering, to me there is much more health benefits of them keeping their balls Big Grin

Plus you have to think of the unnecessary risk of anaesthesia too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 18:42

I don't neuter either.

As already said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 19:38

I am in the same dilemma, Vinnie is now 18 months and I amof the opinion dont mess with nature. On the other hand when he is with my brothers dog Skye who has been spayed, he recently was desperately trying to mount her and showing some signs of frustration, which I fear may turn to aggression. The other problem is his constant licking of I assume where a bitch has urinated every few yards when we are on walks. So really dont know what to do though I know the vets will keep on every time I have to take him!! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 19:41

Many dogs will sniff & lick at where another dog has urinated, but it may not be a bitch! It could just be an interesting male!

Neutering is not a cure for behavioural problems, only training will help with that. Humping is also not always a sign of sexual frustration - if the bitch has been neutered she won't be giving off any signals that would 'get him going' anyway. Humping will be done by males and female & should always be discouraged as it can lead to squabbles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05 2013, 19:48

Caryll wrote:Many dogs will sniff & lick at where another dog has urinated, but it may not be a bitch! It could just be an interesting male!

Neutering is not a cure for behavioural problems, only training will help with that. Humping is also not always a sign of sexual frustration - if the bitch has been neutered she won't be giving off any signals that would 'get him going' anyway. Humping will be done by males and female & should always be discouraged as it can lead to squabbles.

Thanks Caryll I must say I do correct him very sternly and guess its just perseverance!! So as I know his temperement is so great usually, I think I will be leaving the "Deed" and see how it goes! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Tue Feb 05 2013, 22:27

I Agree neutering doesn't mean that he wont be agsressive or he want hump on poepole or dogs. My friend neutered his lab and hi is even worse after that frown I think all the vets are trying to convince to neutering because there is so many homeless dogs and many taking down every day and you know how it is some people are jus irresponsible .. I had 3 the worst days in my life with Bruno when my parents dog/female was in heat. omg that's the only word what I can say for what I went through with him when he sniff her. we coldny leave him at home alone cause he was destroying everything in the house ,so badly he wanted to get out and get to her he was crying all the time didn't eat. it was a nightmare. in that time for a moment I was thinkin about neutering but just for a second. it maybe calm him down but still as up it may not solve the problem. Plus I don't think that I would like somebody to ,,cutmy balls" that's why im not going to do this to him. He is my small man Wink
kateIrl
kateIrl

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 22months
Support total : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Tue Feb 05 2013, 22:30

and just one more think I love to talk and sometimes I can be sooo annoying to people, shold they cut my mouth ??? Wink
kateIrl
kateIrl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 05 2013, 22:39

kateIrl wrote:and just one more think I love to talk and sometimes I can be sooo annoying to people, shold they cut my mouth ??? Wink

Nothing wrong with talking! We all do Big Grin

IMO as long as the male is kept within strict control at all times.

I have had a bad experience before which could have been worse thanks to a stupid owner with an intact male off lead.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Feb 05 2013, 22:50

Well im gonna stick my neck out. That report is just a jumbled plagurism of other peoples work with decimal points moved here and there. I know this is a very contraversal point of view but its mine and was asked for. As for dominence etc it wont make a jot of diff tbh my boy has been done and still locked into laska two months later when she was in season. He still acts like a * and postures at any dog no matter how big. What it has done is stop him jumping fences and gates and roaming halfway accross town and back, thats not a theory paper thats a fact. As for laska im waiting until shes had two seasons and then getting her done, which according to "that" paper of thought is too late and increases the risks... Best advise id give is use your gut instinct
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by kateIrl Tue Feb 05 2013, 22:55

Janey - thank you very much for support Big Grin haha:D
kateIrl
kateIrl

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06 2013, 01:55

I guess it does calm them down a bit. We met a Staff the other day, a year old, and the owner was saying he was exactly the same as Loki, really hyperactive and jumping and biting, until he got him neutered, then he calmed down. But I don't want that to be the reason I neuter Loki; he's a hyperactive pain, but I feel like neutering him just to (hopefully) help with his jumping and biting is just a cop-out because it's easier than keeping up with the training. You can train your dog to be gentle with kids, neutered or un-neutered, so I wouldn't consider that to be a reason to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:23

Thanks for your opinions folks. It's greatly appreciated. I'm happy for him to keep them, was just interested in seeing what people in our situation had done and if they noticed a change.

Cheers
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cheeky angel kim Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:47

i had rocky done when he was 12 months just after i had him, my mum lost one her dogs to testicular cancer it wasnt nice what he went through she doesnt have her dogs done, i plan on having missy done when she has had her first season aswell
cheeky angel kim
cheeky angel kim
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : rocky & missy
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months & 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : male / female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by brutusindubai Thu Feb 07 2013, 05:30

We lost our Rottweiler to testicular cancer as well. My folks have had their new dog done for that reason.

His knackers are safe for now.
brutusindubai
brutusindubai

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down