princesslou
janey
Gibbo
7 posters

Go down

Thinking of rescuing a staff pup Empty Thinking of rescuing a staff pup

Post by Gibbo Sun Feb 20 2011, 22:51

Hi All,

We're looking into getting a pup from our local RSPCA and would love some feedback from owners regarding what the breed is actually like.

Specifically how they get on with cats, children and other dogs.

Obvisouly training plays a big part.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Gibbo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Thinking of rescuing a staff pup Empty Re: Thinking of rescuing a staff pup

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20 2011, 22:57

First of all Hi & Welcome wave
Great news in hearing you are thinking of giving a staffy a forever home.
Like you said any dog will be a great addition to any family if looked after and trained correctly. This forum has been invaluable to me for knoweldge and advice for all its members.
I have found the staffy to be a breed of dog who loves the attension of any human and just wants to please their owners. They have a great personality and are constantly making us laugh.
Many have a high prey drive like my staffy and may try and chase the cat at first, but will probably end up cuddling up to it for a nap once settled in.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 20 2011, 22:57

Depending where your rescuing from, most do a test on living with cats/kids/other dogs etc. As a breed they are amazing and with the correct training are amazing pets, especially family pets.
Any rescue centre should go through the entire adoption process with you and generally won't rehome a dog unless they know for sure its the correct place. Its as much of a change for them as you.
Make an appointment as there is usually an 'interview' process to see whats suitable x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibbo Sun Feb 20 2011, 23:04

We went to see them today and we're waiting for a home visit but wanted some more advice before definatly going ahead.

the pups we looked at are approx 8 weeks old so we are able to train them from the start which is good.

I have a 3 month old baby and 6 cats who are all very nosey so they should come round pretty quickly but they do come first and I want to make sure a staff is right for them not just us.

i will also be going back to work part time and will hopefully be leaving the pup with my sister inlaw who has a 6 month old german shepard.

Gibbo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 20 2011, 23:10

The best way for a dog to get along with a cat is for the cats to be already and settled in the home first and secondly is better if the dog lives with them from an early age. So you should be fine thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Feb 20 2011, 23:18

Never had a cat and pup together but know plenty that do, as Blue said as long as its from early days then you'll be fine! Also with your baby, they are the most amazing breed of dog! Just don't take too much on at once though Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by princesslou Mon Feb 21 2011, 00:01

I must say its hard work having a pup probably more so with a young baby. Its great once your over the house training but it can be demanding at times. You couldnt choose a better dog to have with children, my dogs light up when they hear them.
princesslou
princesslou
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Paris & Tyson
Dog Gender(s) : M/F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 21 2011, 09:34

Hiya well done for rescuing!! Getting such a young staff u shouldnt have any probs with the cat just make sure your very firm with the pup where the cat is concerned. Staffs are perfect family dogs and are baby and pup will grow up to be the best of friends u wait and see! Staff pups are little bu**ers mind and i will need to set strict boundries and rules and be very consistant and it will hard work for a while but once u get over the "pup" stage it will be sooooo worth it. I also have young children my youngest was 1 and a half when we got Ty our first staff. Im not saying u have to do what i did but i have found most of the things i did well worth it. I made sure i had baby gates on everydoor so both dog and kids could have some time out from eachother and so kids could play by them selfs every so often without having toys chewed etc and also so i could pop to the loo without having to take the baby with me etc. I also set 2 rules, no dogs on the sofas, so kids could eat etc in peace and no dogs upstairs (put a stair gate at bottom of the stairs) just for peace of mind as well. I would also strongly sugest a crate. For me its a god send as my 8 month old staff kaos is a real chewer and i wouldnt have a house left otherwise lol. Make it a lovely place to be lots of toys and blankets and put the pup in it at bedtimes and when u go out in the day (no more than 3 or 4 hours at a time). The pup will prob hate it to start with but will love it after a while it will make him feel safe u could even put a blanket over the top to make it into a proper den. It will also help loads with toilet training as dogs dont like to mess where they sleep so it will teach him to hold on.
x

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Mon Feb 21 2011, 22:04

My brothers staffie had never been around cats when they got him at the age of 2. He was fine with the cat it was the cat that bullied him and put him in his place now there the best of friends
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibbo Tue Feb 22 2011, 16:14

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided that although we've fallen in love with the breed, we can't really commit the time at present for a puppy. However when we do eventually get a dog it will be a staff as you've all converted us :-)

Thanks again

Gibbo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 22 2011, 16:46

Well when you do we expect lots of pics!! I hope you stay on the forum, then you can loads and be well prepared for when the times right Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 22 2011, 17:14

Yeah still pop on. You will be an expert by the time your ready to get a staffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibbo Tue Feb 22 2011, 17:24

I will :-)

Gibbo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 00:19

Taking about How do they get on with cats.
Thinking of rescuing a staff pup Blue__10

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 23 2011, 00:49

Love Struck aww
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 23 2011, 08:47

lovely picture

Back to top Go down

Post by highlandermb Sat Mar 12 2011, 20:02

We wanted to rescue a Staffie from a dog home in England as over in Germany there are so few staff`s, and all i got was NO, and to top it all we cannt import, as there classed as fighting dogs and there on the ban list with Pit bulls, Am Staff`s and Bull terrier`s,
So in the end we got a pup from a breader, and he`s a super pup, with one of are cats was from the start no probs, he had respect, but the other one he ran after and layed on top of her and play chewed with her, but the whole time he was real friendly, now there best friends. so it does work, Cats and dogs. ive had it so all my life.
highlandermb
highlandermb

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus, Helana, Amy, Sir-Henry
Dog Gender(s) : Staffie, Boxer,

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Mar 12 2011, 20:17

highlandermb wrote:We wanted to rescue a Staffie from a dog home in England as over in Germany there are so few staff`s, and all i got was NO, and to top it all we cannt import, as there classed as fighting dogs and there on the ban list with Pit bulls, Am Staff`s and Bull terrier`s,
So in the end we got a pup from a breader, and he`s a super pup, with one of are cats was from the start no probs, he had respect, but the other one he ran after and layed on top of her and play chewed with her, but the whole time he was real friendly, now there best friends. so it does work, Cats and dogs. ive had it so all my life.

what are teh laws over there then you cant import dog but you can buy them off breeders?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Mar 12 2011, 20:50

Im sorry the time is not right for you to rescue but glad your looking in the future to do so. Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by highlandermb Sat Mar 12 2011, 22:15

The law is " Pit Bull`s, Am Staff`s Staffie`s and Bull Terrier`s are against the law to import" but in some counties the Staffie and Bull Terrier are in the second half of the Dangarous dog`s list so you can still breed them, in other counties they must be neuted (castrated)
In most counties they must have a muzzle and stay on the line untill they go through a special test to prove there friendly and are no danger, as well you must pay the dog tax which is for a normal classed dog, anywere between 40€ and 120€ and for dogs on the list you can pay up too 1200€ per year, and the insurance on top, is more when you have a list dog, Ive the luck that were i live , my Am Bulldog and my Staffie are on the list part two, so there not so ristricted, but the import ban is still there.
theres a lot of details that are in the dog laws, and we fight still against them, so to import its too risky, they would take your dog off you, you get a very heavy fine and normaly they would put the dog down.
highlandermb
highlandermb

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Angus, Helana, Amy, Sir-Henry
Dog Gender(s) : Staffie, Boxer,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content