Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old

5 posters

Go down

Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old Empty Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old

Post by jasbolto Sun Feb 03 2013, 02:26

Hello we have a 16 month old female and in a month we will be getting a 8 week old male puppy. For the people who have more than one Staffy how is it going from one to two. Our female is good with other dogs and the dogs will never be left loose and alone we always crate when we are not home.
jasbolto
jasbolto
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sadie
Dog(s) Ages : 9/22/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old Empty Re: Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 02:59

Aww how exciting!!

I have not had two staffies. My girl came into my house when i had two dogs (lab and a retriever) but two staffies from what i hear is a hoot!

Back to top Go down

Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old Empty Re: Getting a new puppy already have a 16 month old

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 03:59

Never had two dogs before, but from what I read from others, it's just a case of supervising them to make sure one doesn't annoy the other too much, and making sure they have some space when they want it. You must be really excited, hopefully you'll take lots of pics of the dogs for us Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 04:16

Sorry I have never had 2 either Sad Good luck with it all though Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 06:33

Just a case of supervising and being prepared for rough play - took us a while to get used to the rough play and vocalisations. They play very hard! Feed separately at first, and you already crate, which is a great retreat for the puppy when it's tired and needs some time-out to relax.
We can leave ours along for a bit at a time, just make sure they're tired before you do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:13

we have 2 dogs and they can be a bit of a handfull consider your house when they play and are jumping all over and the cost of food etc also vet bills and kennels jabs etc. Having 2 together though is great and once you get them to be pals they will be great. Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:30

Agree with Mark. 2 are great although they play rough. It's a joy to watch them together playing or snuggled up together on the sofa. Only downside is having 2 to pick up after! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sashdog Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:42

I have a 5 month old and a few weeks back got a 3 year old male.

They are inseperable. She loves him and although he doesnt show it he loves her!

They play fight a lot which results in him barking an growling, i was worried at first he hated her but after some reassurance on here its just play Smile only let them do it now an again due to neighbours but its a laugh.

Only thing i notice is my younger one sash likes to take everything from him even if its in his mouth, its a game to her haha.

But its a good laugh having two wouldnt change it for the world!

Sashdog
Sashdog
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Sash & Noonan
Dog(s) Ages : Sash born 23.08.2012 Noonan born 09.03.2013
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:54

I have 3 males in the house all you have to watch for is the rough playing, put a stop to it straight away before it gets of hand. Also watch if any fallout over toys or food
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 09:58

My Tilly was 23 months when we got Tommy as a pup, fun times ahead . Tilly has turned out to be the mainly submissive one with Tommy wearing the shoes in the house, rough play and definitely best to keep them separate when you aren't around , though these days all that separates them is a safety gate in the kitchen doorway if we go out for a few hours , they can still see each other , Tilly is the more trusted one so she has the run of the house.
2 staffs on the bed farting and snoring , 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of vets bills and 2 lots of poo to pick up but I wouldn't have it any other way

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Feb 03 2013, 11:37

I have only ever had one dog at a time, so sorry cannot advize. We would love to have another though just dont have the room at the moment.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03 2013, 13:45

Dave wrote:My Tilly was 23 months when we got Tommy as a pup, fun times ahead . Tilly has turned out to be the mainly submissive one with Tommy wearing the shoes in the house, rough play and definitely best to keep them separate when you aren't around , though these days all that separates them is a safety gate in the kitchen doorway if we go out for a few hours , they can still see each other , Tilly is the more trusted one so she has the run of the house.
2 staffs on the bed farting and snoring , 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of vets bills and 2 lots of poo to pick up but I wouldn't have it any other way

Just what i love Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down