So it's not working

4 posters

Go down

So it's not working  Empty So it's not working

Post by LokaMartinez Sun Jan 27 2013, 07:02

From the moment I posted my last post till now Nylah hasn't improved at all. She has her pad close by and she still doesn't use it, after waking up and after eating and drinking water we set her by the pad for at least 30 minutes and watch her to make sure she goes. She tries to walk away and we keep putting her on the pad, after those 30 minutes that she just sits down and does nothing, we walk away, thinking that maybe she doesn't need to go at that specific time, and all she does is walk over to a different spot and do her business there. It's gotten to the point that my mom has gotten frustrated about stepping in pee puddles and leaving trails all over the house and getting surprise poo pies all over her room, on the clothes, and throughout the whole house. She's talked about putting Nylah outside DEFINITELY after she has gotten her last set of shots this upcoming Monday. Since our previous dogs, as puppies, NEVER had this problem my mom has gotten very overwhelmed with Nylah. Another thing is that she is becoming very aggressive with us. She goes and jumps up on us and then starts to snarl and bite really hard, especially to my younger sister. We give her no motive to do this and we try to play with her as much as possible to keep her entertained with her toys, but she seems to keep doing the opposite. We have 5 small pets( 2 bunnies, 2 fish and a hamster) besides Nylah and they're already work enough for us. I would REALLY like to know of any specific/effective ways I can help Nylah with to avoid having her be put outside, especially with this cold/rainy weather and her being as young as she is. I've heard of this Free Pitbull Training being offered at the Coliseum in Los Angeles, which is only 15 minutes away. But since she's just a puppy && the other dogs are much older, I'm afraid she'll be far more distracted since she hasn't had any contact with other dogs. Plus, it seems to be basic sit/stay/come/exercise training. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
LokaMartinez
LokaMartinez
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Nylah and Kayla
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

So it's not working  Empty Re: So it's not working

Post by LokaMartinez Sun Jan 27 2013, 07:04

P.S- She used to listen when we told her to go to her bed and when we would tell her to sit. but for some reason, she doesn't obey and tends to go off in another direction.
LokaMartinez
LokaMartinez

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 07:10

She's just rebelling, all pups go through it. When you get a dog it is with the intention of having it for life so I'm afraid the training is for life too. Just keep at it and make sure to tell her when enough is enough. Standin up and ignoring her when she starts inappropriate behaviors will stop the biting. As for the training thingy, any exposure to other dogs is a good thing. She will get over the hock eventually and begin to listen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sun Jan 27 2013, 07:53

do you offer treats as rewards. This can help short term. Do you crate the pup during the night also. Its very hard and i do sypathise with you but persistence and doing things over and over is the only way they learn. Give it time im sure she will come round Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 08:48

With the nipping and rough behaviour she is trying to iniate play or get attention. The best thing to do is to ignore her which is the opposite of what she wants. She will make the connection soon enough and stop the behaviour if everyone is consistant.

With the toilet training it just takes time. Are you completly removing the smell after the accidents? Also you have to wait until she goes every time. Is there an area you can take her outside instead of on a training pad?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27 2013, 18:02

She's not being aggressive, she's playing. They can't speak, how else are they going to tell you they want to play? When she jumps up or bites, tell her no and then turn your back on her and completely ignore her. If she carries on, put her out of the room for a little while. Not long, just enough for her to think "oh, well this is boring." Eventually she'll come around. Loki was terrible with the jumping and biting...in fact he, still does it to strangers Rolling Eyes but he's way better than he used to be. Just be consistent and keep up with the training, she'll learn eventually. It seems like there's no hope, but eventually it'll suddenly hit you "oh hey, she hasn't bitten me in a while."

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sun Jan 27 2013, 18:53

U have to step up to the plate as an owner... Be assertive with her, watch her closer, she pees ...pick her up mid pee n pop her on the pad or outside.

Be consistent. If she pees or poops anywhere, clear it up immediately. Leaving it will encourage her to do it again.

ATM u are giving mixed messages, when mine were pups I'd watch them like hawks ! U have to.

She is probably frustrated, unsure or even stressed - it's not aggression. Wear her out with play time, go on a 30min walk, do treat training to occupy her mind.

Put the hours in and u will be producing a well manoured dog x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by LokaMartinez Thu Jan 31 2013, 07:45

Well just yesterday she got her last set of shots and the vet said it'll be another week before we can take her outside. Hopefully now she will get used to going outside instead of in the house. She does not sleep in a crate, we bought her a little bed && she sleeps on it or with me on my bed. We do play with her for a period of time, but she just doesn't seem to get enough haha. She is one energetic little one Smile Yes we do reward her with treats when && if she does use her pad. We bought an odor remover spray from Natures Miracle, it apparently removes the odor to discourage from going on the same spot. But, it was a failed attempt as she continued to use the same spots over, && over, && over again. Along with that, we bought a no chew spray, also from Natures Miracle, && it too was a failed attempt. All Nylah did was start to lick the object && go back to playing with it.

Also, she has been recently been eating/nibbling at pieces of her poo. The vet gave us some multi-vitamins to give to her and hopefully that gets her to stop.
LokaMartinez
LokaMartinez

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:19

For the chewing vicks works as well. Her behaviour should get better once she can go on walks as it will help with her energy levels. Have you started pulling her collar and lead on inside the house so she has a chance to get used to it?

Back to top Go down

Post by LokaMartinez Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:23

Yes we have. We rotate between using a collar and using a harness(as I have heard that staffys have a lot of upper body strength && just in case she tries to pull I don't want to choke her by pulling on the collar) I will put the harness with the leash on && walk her around the house, or when we're getting ready for the vet, I get her ready in my room && walk with her to the front door. She does seem to not like it much as she always tends to turn around and bite the leash, but I think that with a little more practice she'll be good.
LokaMartinez
LokaMartinez

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:27

Suki went through the biting the leash phase as well. Until you take her out you can do mental games like hiding a treat in a room and having her search for it. Training sessions of 10 minutes or so are also great for tiring them out.

Back to top Go down

Post by LokaMartinez Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:31

That sounds like a good idea. I will be sure to start doing that with her, as she is a very energetic puppy.
LokaMartinez
LokaMartinez

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Thu Jan 31 2013, 09:06

Hi,
I had a friend with a dog when Stella was small and we let them play together even before she completed her jabs. I must admit I was even taking her out to play with dogs... I know it was a risk but I made sure it was a clean area and only dogs I knew - I felt that playing and socialization were too important to wait so I just took the risk... But Stella went through the stage of jumping and biting and barking as well when she was little, biting her leash, all these things. I was just patient.
She still sometimes jumps at strangers which can be frustrating.
But to wear her out has always been the main thing, inside or outside, but they are so energetic:-)
And to the toilet issues: Stella was occasionally peeing in the house until she was some 6 months... I've been relaxed about it, I was taking her out all the time as often as I could, giving her treats and praise for doing it outside and just went through loads of kitchen rolls... and she got there eventually:-)
By the way your girl is goegeous! Love Struck
Xx
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
So it's not working  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26