2 Staffies and a cat?

+4
iamajc
janey
shellie25
Staffy_G
8 posters

Go down

2 Staffies and a cat? Empty 2 Staffies and a cat?

Post by Staffy_G Wed Jan 16 2013, 22:48

Hi everyone, i was hoping if anyone has any advice on this I am looking at getting a cat or a kitten to join my furry family but is this a good idea with 2 staffies one girl 4-5years old and5 month boy ?
If so what is the best way to handle the situation e.g introducing each other and is there a particular breed of cat that would get on better with my 2 staffies as i dont wantto upset them as they are my priority. Any advice you can give will be much appreciated Straight Face xx
Staffy_G
Staffy_G
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nancy and Frank
Dog(s) Ages : 4 and 19 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female & Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

2 Staffies and a cat? Empty Re: 2 Staffies and a cat?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 22:51

Hi and welcome from Me n Steffi Big Grin Sorry I don't have any advice about cats with your dogs but I know others members have done this successfully and I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice soon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shellie25 Wed Jan 16 2013, 22:53

I have no idea lol. All I know about my staffs and cats is that mine hate them. I've never brought them up to be like that, it's just happened that way. I'm sure someone on here has staffs and cats that live happily together that can help you. Hope it works out for you Smile
shellie25
shellie25
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlet and Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : Scarlet is 3 and Diesel is 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Scarlet is female and Diesel is male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jan 16 2013, 22:57

Mmmm not much help either although plenty do co-exist, Moo just wants to eat them Straight Face

(Moved to chat)
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 22:59

I'm of no help either. As a breed they have a very high prey drive so it could be hard if they aren't used to being around cats

Back to top Go down

Post by iamajc Wed Jan 16 2013, 23:11

Storm has lived with a cat in the past, it will take time for each of them to get used to each other so you may have to keep them separated for periods whilst they adjust to each other. Storm just wanted to play with the cat all the time.
Be aware that cats can do a serious amount of damage to a dog as well as vice versa. They can shred a dogs nose with their claws and as they bury their own poo their claws can be very unhygienic and cause some nasty infections.
Storm will chase a cat that runs but if it doesn't run he gives it a wide berth so may have experienced a cats claws in the past. I don't think he would hurt a cat as he was just inquisitive of the one he lived with.
iamajc
iamajc

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Storm
Dog(s) Ages : about 7 was a stray
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by TS06 Wed Jan 16 2013, 23:16

I have no experience of making this co-existence work, but agree entirely with jstaff. If the dogs have been raised with cats, then it may just be possible. If not, I wouldn't take the risk. All working terrier breeds instinctively want to hunt small animals. Staffies tend to be exceptionally good at it.
TS06
TS06
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by cesca1 Wed Jan 16 2013, 23:18

How do yours react of they see a cat out on their walks? I have two dogs and two cats but the cats were here first. Moll, staffy, loves the cat and one of the cat comes on 90% of our walks (she's a Bengal cross ragdoll - most dog like cat I know).

My parents have a doberman and a mastiff cross... they are now used to the cats although it took a year. Stair gate was an essential as it gave the cats freedom!
cesca1
cesca1

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy_G Wed Jan 16 2013, 23:27

thanks guys for all the feed back very helpfull cesca1how they react to cats while theyre out is different everytime the pup is very submissive and just rolls over for anything or anyone whereas Nancy 4-5 year old is sometimes inquisitive and others she chases the cats its hard to tell if she likes or dislikes cats she is also a rescue we,ve had her for almost 2 years but as she was a stray her past is a mystery although when we first got her she did not get on with other dogs and yet now happily lives with a pup and stays with other dogs regularly so maybe in time she would be ok
Staffy_G
Staffy_G

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nancy and Frank
Dog(s) Ages : 4 and 19 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female & Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Steveb Thu Jan 17 2013, 09:07

We have 2 Staffies, a cat and two rabbits. The dogs get on with all of them. However, we got Teddy (SBT) at the same time as Wilfie (Cat) - so they have grown up very close. Bella (SBT) came along as a pup 6 years later and is equally close with Wilfie. But Wilfie having grown up from 12 weeks with a 7 week old puppy is very pro dog. He get on with almost all dogs that have come to our house regardless of whether they chase cats or not. But I think that is his reaction to the dogs as opposed to the dogs reaction to him. Most dogs chase cats because the cats run or give off a nervous energy. So I would advise getting a kitten so it can grow up around your dogs and hopefully your oldest dog may even act quite motherly towars it. But it will take time and you will have to be very careful initially Smile But once your dogs realise what is expected of them and that this new addition is a friend i'm sure it will be fine. Good luck

Steveb

Status Status :

Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 10:28

We have 2 dogs and 4 cats but the cats were there first. I would think they would be ok with a kitten if introduced gradually. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17 2013, 17:46

I have 2 staffs and a cat, my oldest staff Ty has a high prey drive. My cat was there first which helped, to be fair we were just really hard on Ty when we bright hom home and learnt quickly to keep away from her after a few of her claws in his head. Kaos we got as a pup and the cat mummyed him and they have a great relationship even now c

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazagem Thu Jan 17 2013, 18:07

I have only had experience with my gsds and a kitten we got given unforunately we only had it for 6 months as my daughter had an alergic reaction to the cat hair but he kitten rulled 2 very big gsds which was funny to watch
If the gsds were drinking and the kitten wanted a drink both dogs would move out the way. The kitten would curl up with the dogs in their beds so it was a good relationship between them.
I have had expirience with skye @12 weeks and a rabbit but our rabbit was 8yrs old and grew up with our gsds so a pup was no worries for him unfortunately as skye got bigger the rabbit couldnt keep up with her so retired to my mums to be pampered but skye loved him and would try and sit in his indoor cadge he passed 6 months later at the age of 9yrs old brill age for a rabbit
Gazagem
Gazagem

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 146

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down