Neutering

3 posters

Go down

Neutering Empty Neutering

Post by reuben Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:26

I've lost count of the number of times I have been asked if I intend neutering Bacchus Surprised Surprised

I know from info on this forum that this is not recommended until at least 2 years old, but my question is.....is it just because he's a staffy or is it considered more responsible to have a dog neutered at an appropriate age if there is no intention to breed from him??
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Neutering Empty Re: Neutering

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:39

My vet has asked me a few times about neutering Logan. They advise it for health reasons (cutting down chances of cancer) and behaviour issues such as dog aggression and hyperactivity. It also cuts down the amount of unwanted puppies for obvious reasons.

Because Logan isn't aggressive and is manageable I don't think I will have him neutered for that reason. The health issue has made me think a lot and I'm tied over it. I don't intend to breed for the reason that Logan is quite a bit bigger than the standard and there are too many unwanted Staffords as it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:48

MatLogan wrote:My vet has asked me a few times about neutering Logan. They advise it for health reasons (cutting down chances of cancer) and behaviour issues such as dog aggression and hyperactivity. .

all of which are untrue.

Vets just like dogs done early cause it is a more simple operation, therefor less work, therefor more money for the work they are doing.

never neuter your dog because people tell you to unless you NEED to. if you are a responsible owner you shouldn't need to neuter at all

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 13:56

I don't know the truth behind it, just what I was advised.

I would doubt I will ever get it done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 14:17

Hot topic.

I agree with Hayley to a great extent. Vets do want pups neutered - and I mean pups. They cite the risk of cancer (especially in bitches) increasing the older they get. What they don't tell you is that there is an increased risk of bone cancer & prostate cancer (in males, obviously).

I don't neuter my dogs - that's just my own personal preference - but if I were to, I'd wait for mental & physical maturity, so around 2 to 2 & a half years old.

If you have a slightly nervous pup, early neutering can treble the nervousness & lead to nervous aggression. The growth plates close later, leading to a taller, narrower dog (that might look more like a 'type' than a staff!) and a females genitals may not gro properly leading to urinary/incontinence problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by rescuestaffords Wed Jan 16 2013, 15:35

I have and always will neuter my dogs. My bitch I rescued I got neutered and when they opened her up, they saw the start of pyometra, so I am just lucky she was done when she was.

Having got 2 males, even with a big age gap, I am glad they are both neutered and they get on really well.

It is personal preference and if you do decide not too, as long as you are sensible and do not let the dog free roam, then there is no risk of unwanted pups.

rescuestaffords
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Neutering Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jan 16 2013, 16:21

I don't agree with neutering young pups but my first was before her first season and Moo after, neither where a year old and hasn't done them any harm.

It really is a personal choice, I did have a terrible experience with an un-neutered male when Moo was in season, but if you are completely aware of anything accidental totally in control at all times then its really up to you Xx

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 17:59

yip.. vet also been on at me to get our boy done but will NOT be..i have one dog he does not roam the streets although telling my vet didn't make much difference helps with aggression? please.. then most of the dogs roundabout me should be done then..

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Jan 16 2013, 18:16

Thanks guys. I wouldn't even consider neutering before he, as Caryll says, was mentally and physically mature. In fact I hadn't considered neutering at all. But people ( not my vet btw) frequently mention neutering and ,as I haven't had a dog for 20 years and a lot of thinking has changed in that time, I just wanted you guys' opinion.
I'm not having any problems with Bacchus other than a stubborn streak and certainly wouldn't have him done for this.
Thanks again.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 20:17

I think it's just something they say to everyone with dogs. I mean, look at how many accidental litters there are and how the puppies suffer for it. From that point of view, I see their point. But personally I've never had anyone lecture me about it or even bring it up. The vet mentioned it once because I asked about when to get them neutered and how much it'd be and etc. (didn't know any of this information at the time), and since then nothing has been said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16 2013, 20:29

Tara wrote:I think it's just something they say to everyone with dogs. I mean, look at how many accidental litters there are and how the puppies suffer for it.

Don't forget that an awful lot of 'accidental' litters were not accidental at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down