Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie

+3
hollymolly
Mark
ricky-c
7 posters

Go down

Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie Empty Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie

Post by ricky-c Wed Dec 19 2012, 18:35

Hi be gentle with me as a newby, was wondering if any of you have had any experience regarding the following.
The wife wants another dog and we have a 4 year old male brindle Staffie which we have had since a pup, as with most Staffies hes a big softie, but I am worried he may get jelous, is there an ideal way to go about it, is there anything we should do to make the situation easier, is it recommended to introduce another dog into our house, helppp worried
ricky-c
ricky-c
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie Empty Re: Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie

Post by Mark Wed Dec 19 2012, 18:39

we are thinking of another dog. The best way would be to maybe let your dog sniff the new dogs bedding etc if you can. Also if you can take your dog to see the new one a few times before you bring it home that will help too. We have a 2 year old girl staffie and will be in the summer getting another rescue dog. The rescue centre want us to take Miley to the kennels for at least 4 weeks before we bring the new dog home. Welcome to the forum Smile
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie Empty Re: Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 18:40

definitely think to look for an introduction

Back to top Go down

Post by ricky-c Wed Dec 19 2012, 18:50

Thanks for the welcome Dave and Wendy, will look into this, the wife is thinking of another Staffie is this wise and if so male or female, sorry for all the questions
ricky-c
ricky-c

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19 2012, 20:00

Barney should be a good settled age to have the best chance of getting along with another dog but you won't know until you try it , generally speaking although not a 100% requirement , 1 of each sex would be the optimum to stand the best chance, we have 2 staffs a 2.5 yr old girl and an 8 month old boy but we've had them both since pups

Back to top Go down

Post by ricky-c Fri Dec 21 2012, 22:02

Cheers Dave just hope it works out
ricky-c
ricky-c

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21 2012, 22:18

I have moved this topic to Chat.

Back to top Go down

Post by hollymolly Fri Dec 21 2012, 23:44

Hiya Ricky... I totally understand your concerns about making sure it all works out if you get another dog.. I had the same concerns as my 2.5 yr old girl (Inca) was well settled and i thought i would unsettle her or she would feel pushed out if we got another dog but it turned out to be the best thing i done getting another staffy (we think she might be a staffy x though !!) .. We rescued Sky as a 9 wk old pup who was no longer wanted and they have been the best of friends from day one .. They clean each others faces and eat their meals together ... They play fight but Sky knows not to go too far with Inca ..

For me personally i am ok with having 2 girls but the choice is upto you ..
Good luck in finding Barney a new play mate ...
hollymolly
hollymolly

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Inca & Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old ...
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females..
Support total : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Sat Dec 22 2012, 07:29

were taking Miley this morning to meet Dylan hope they get on Smile
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by ricky-c Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:03

Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie Img00313Well finally got our little friend for Barney welcome to Molly a 5 and half month old 5 generation pedigree Black staffie and as you can see by the pic they love each other to bits cant seperate em, within 2 hours of being together they where playing together. Introducing another dog into our house with our Staffie 400206
ricky-c
ricky-c

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:25

Yay Big Grin
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Mar 15 2013, 23:29

Ah that's great Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by rossinelly Sat Jul 13 2013, 15:02

hello, im new to this, i have a male staffy aged 8 and a male bull mastiff also aged 8, i have now been given  non-neutured female staffy approx 5 yrs old, what are the chances they will get on:-bd

rossinelly
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey Rossi Nelly
Dog(s) Ages : 8 8 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male Male Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 13 2013, 15:13

There's every chance they will get on , when you say been given ?? Have you got her already ?? If its not already too late then whoever has given you the girl should ideally be keeping her to give you the opportunity to introduce them all gradually and on neutral ground . And you should really think about getting her neutered ASAP as if she comes into season around them it will drive them both nuts and possibly promote fighting / agression between the 2 boys

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sat Jul 13 2013, 15:22

I agree with Dave. Even if the boys are fixed, having an in-season bitch will drive them nuts. I wouldn't risk it. Welcome to the 2 male, 1 female group! Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by rossinelly Sun Jul 14 2013, 10:55

i have her already up at my boyfriends house which me and my 2 boys will be moving into soon, i took her to the vets and because i dont know when she was last in season, the vet said i should come back 12 weeks after she next on heat, i dont want to have to rehome her as shes beautiful, but ive had the boys the longest Crying or Very sad

rossinelly

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey Rossi Nelly
Dog(s) Ages : 8 8 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male Male Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down