over excited puppy

3 posters

Go down

over excited puppy Empty over excited puppy

Post by thefyst Tue Dec 04 2012, 14:34

Hey all,

I have a 9 week old pup named Blue, We've had him for just over a fortnight now and were pretty much getting used to his antics Big Grin

Couple of things though. He bites my fiance quite a lot, its usually playful mouthing but sometimes hes a little bit agressive, he very rarely bites me anymore and when he does i say no and he just licks the spot where he bit me as if to say sorry. Its kind of sweet realy.

we have him pretty well crate trained, at first we just had the crate in the front room and he would happily sit in his cage with the door open whilst we were watching TV and we would close him in to go off and do other stuff without any problems. Now we figured that we should give him a little area of the room where he can run about more or less un supervised. I mean we stay in the room with him but don't neccessarily watch him like a hawk.

We built a 5 ft square pen area around his cage with approx 2 ft high walls and it seemed like a great idea.

Now the problem with this is that he stand s up against the walls of his pen and begs for attention, we ignore it and he calms down. This morning however after taking him for a walk I put him in the pen and went to get his food from the kitchen and as soon as he saw me he ran full speed and jumped into the wall of the pen and destroyed it.

I put him in the cage to feed him and rebuilt the pen but now hes figured out how to get out and keeps flattening the walls of the pen.

Aside from just making the thing stronger how can I stop him from doing this?

also any tips on getting a puppy to calm down before he gets his food?

Cheers

TF
thefyst
thefyst
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

over excited puppy Empty Re: over excited puppy

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 15:08

Hi & welcome.

Keeping a pup caged or even in a pen most of the time will result in a frustrated pup - they love companionship & interracting with their humans. I'd get rid of the pen & watch him. Try to take up anything that he can chew or that can hurt him & just keep an eye on what he's doing!

With food, what I usually do is teach the pup to sit while I'm preparing it, then I gently put my hand on its chest & say "Wait" while I put it down. Then, after a couple of seconds I say "Ok" and let him go.

The biting is a natural way for a pup to play, it certainly isn't aggression. When he does it, just say "No" and turn away - stop all interraction with him, don't even look at him, until he's calm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster bumble Tue Dec 04 2012, 16:34

I just used to block of all power points where there was wires.i.e telly stand just the sides . Easier than pen . My buster loved going in there he will get better . Have fun thumbs up
Buster bumble
Buster bumble
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 4and a half month
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 20:58

Can't add much to the advice already given Big Grin I had one of these pens for Steff when she was little and it was great for when I was out of the house, she would never knock it down but the minute I walked back in the house, down it would come Laughing it's hard to keep a puppy penned while you are in the house, they are really social and they just want to be around you all time and play Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by thefyst Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:00

Good advice, what about when you want to relax and watch TV. I feel like if he has free run of even the living room without me watching him he's gonna get into trouble
thefyst
thefyst

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:02

I used to watch tv and keep an eye on the little bugga! Laughing

Luckily he used to get really tired in the evenings & that was when we watched tv, so I'd have him on my lap.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:03

You get eyes in the back of your head! Hi from us Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 22:04

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. If he is allowed on the couch you could keep him with you

Back to top Go down

Post by thefyst Wed Dec 05 2012, 11:15

At the minute hes not allowed on the couch, do many people let their pups on the furniture?

I suppose I could just sit on the floor with him infront of the TV Big Grin
thefyst
thefyst

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 05 2012, 22:03

Steffi has run of the house when we are home.. She is allowed pretty much everywhere except bedrooms, until bedtime then she sleeps with me Big Grin I know she is spoilt Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down