Collar advice

+2
Mark
Staffy lover
6 posters

Go down

Collar advice Empty Collar advice

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 09:56

As some of you will know, Pixee is on rest for her limp which is from around her shoulder area. The vet has suggested we dont use her harness if at all possible on any walks. The reason I use a harness is because, I find I have more control on her should the need arise with another dog, be it on lead or off lead without harming her neck by lifting her off her front legs, which is rare, as she has got better. Its the pulling on the lead towards another dog I am concerned about hurting her around her neck, she does not pull on lead I must stress, but if theres another dog that has ago at her, she will have ago back sometimes, and I have found the harness a great help. At the moment the collar we have round her is only 2cm wide, less than an 1nch. Its this I feel could do more harm? Would a wider collar be of some help? Advice please. Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Collar advice Empty Re: Collar advice

Post by Mark Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:06

Yes get the widest one you can as when they pull it won't hurrt as much. Big Grin
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:09

I use ezydog collars as they are padded and waterproof http://www.amazon.co.uk/EzyDog-ZCOMPNK-Collar-Pink-M/dp/B002Q9RHEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354529319&sr=8-1http://www.amazon.co.uk/EzyDog-ZCOMPNK-Collar-Pink-M/dp/B002Q9RHEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354529319&sr=8-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:19

A 2" fleece lined one would be best, maybe even a halti of some sort?

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:36

Thanks all. Will be going to Pets at Home later today, I will see what they have, as I need to get the wrainwrights food trays. Love the ezydog collar, looks very comfortable too. The wider the better. Caryll to be fair, I am not happy about using a halti of some sorts for the following reasons, it can give the wrong impression to other dog owners, e.g. oh thats a staffie not in control angry . Since Pixee is very good on lead, I will try a wide one first, if that fails, then I will look at a halti then, but when we go out, she is always in training. Thanks all Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Dec 03 2012, 11:54

I would also say go with the widest collar you could find, this will spread the strain a bit should she decide to pull. Failing that yes, go with a canny collar or something similar.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 13:12

Thanks Kathy. Will let you all know which one I go for Big Grin
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:08

Staffy lover wrote:Thanks all. Will be going to Pets at Home later today, I will see what they have, as I need to get the wrainwrights food trays. Love the ezydog collar, looks very comfortable too. The wider the better. Caryll to be fair, I am not happy about using a halti of some sorts for the following reasons, it can give the wrong impression to other dog owners, e.g. oh thats a staffie not in control angry . Since Pixee is very good on lead, I will try a wide one first, if that fails, then I will look at a halti then, but when we go out, she is always in training. Thanks all Smile

Ours have Ezydog , Tilly is on her 2nd (it was just to match her up after Tommy ate her old harness) and I think they wear very well

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:13

Rocky also has the EzyDog harness, which after some initial teething problems (getting it fitted and adjusted correctly) I would recommend. We are now thinking of getting another one as a spare.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:16

I use a harness for the same reason. Loki doesn't pull when walking normally, but when he sees a dog close to us, he will pull, and if he was still wearing a collar...well, he'd be strangling himself. I agree with what's been said, a wide one will make a big difference. Also, have you tried teaching Pixee the "watch me" command? It's helped me with Loki a lot. He's stopped pulling towards people at all now, and he's slightly better with dogs. I say slightly because he's much better, but still pulls a bit. Just easier to control. So maybe the wide collar and the use of the watch me command would make it easier on you and her?

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:36

I was thinking of trying the watch me command. Should do the training while she is resting up, and on those 10mins walks when needed to calm her down. Then when she can do her normal walks again, I will try it to see how she copes, anything to stop her pulling on her collar. Generally on the whole, she will do the sit command when a cycist comes pass, and a group of walkies. However the watch me command would be best for the dog situations when needed.
I did wonder about this, getting a wide collar, but getting a softer harness, but walk with the lead on the collar, and only use the harness to grap as a last restore, but thats not going to help really or would it?????
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marlesghille Mon Dec 03 2012, 15:54

Skye has an Ezydog collar - it's excellent, waterproof and washable and thick enough too with padded neoprene inner surface so it doesn't chafe (which her previous collar was doing)
marlesghille
marlesghille
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Skye
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Dec 06 2012, 13:50

I have ordered the extra wide collar ezydog in pink Love Struck , just hope its not too big, as it had to be in large, being the smallest size available. Pixees collar is 18" so fingers crossed.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Dec 06 2012, 18:08

I know what you mean about using a halti on a staffy, as unknowing people do seem to think that they are muzzles, but I swear by them and have always used one on Biscuit, I just learnt not to care what people think Laughing I find I have a lot more control for her dog/people problem; her halti used along side the "watch me" command has worked wonders for her training Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Dec 06 2012, 18:14

Rachel33 wrote:I know what you mean about using a halti on a staffy, as unknowing people do seem to think that they are muzzles, but I swear by them and have always used one on Biscuit, I just learnt not to care what people think Laughing I find I have a lot more control for her dog/people problem; her halti used along side the "watch me" command has worked wonders for her training Smile

I know you have to grow a thick skin, I have. I am just going to have to see how I do with the collar, and learning the 'watch me' command and go from there. Good to know you find you have more control in it. Thank you.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Dec 06 2012, 18:22

It's hard at first though! Might be a silly suggestion, but could you maybe use a soft harness with a double ended lead attached to both collar and harness? And then use the collar for the main weight and direction etc when walking but you know you've got the back up of the harness should a dog come along?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Dec 06 2012, 18:30

Rachel33 wrote:It's hard at first though! Might be a silly suggestion, but could you maybe use a soft harness with a double ended lead attached to both collar and harness? And then use the collar for the main weight and direction etc when walking but you know you've got the back up of the harness should a dog come along?

That I like very much, although I could just use the lead on the collar, and keep a harness on for back up. I could hold it if I needed to. But your idea seem better. I would need to speak to the vet about it first. Pixee is good on lead on footpaths, but a harness as back up would come in very useful. I have seen some very soft ones, will get some pictures up tomorrow and show you, and I could show them to the vet when I go back on the 18th and see what they say. So far no limp for a week now. Just bouncing off the walls, so another 10 mins walk this afternoon, and she is lovely and calm now. The stag bars are really helping too, more in use so all is good.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Dec 06 2012, 19:12

Staffy lover wrote:
Rachel33 wrote:It's hard at first though! Might be a silly suggestion, but could you maybe use a soft harness with a double ended lead attached to both collar and harness? And then use the collar for the main weight and direction etc when walking but you know you've got the back up of the harness should a dog come along?

That I like very much, although I could just use the lead on the collar, and keep a harness on for back up. I could hold it if I needed to. But your idea seem better. I would need to speak to the vet about it first. Pixee is good on lead on footpaths, but a harness as back up would come in very useful. I have seen some very soft ones, will get some pictures up tomorrow and show you, and I could show them to the vet when I go back on the 18th and see what they say. So far no limp for a week now. Just bouncing off the walls, so another 10 mins walk this afternoon, and she is lovely and calm now. The stag bars are really helping too, more in use so all is good.

Glad I could be of service Smile I always use a collar and harness for my DA dogs in kennels, or just the ones that can get out of their harnesses Laughing Rolling Eyes Would be a good idea to speak to the vet first though of course if he's advised you against a harness Smile Good to hear that the limp has gone! Oh I can imagine, I had Biscuit off exercise for 6 weeks at one point after quite intensive surgery, was a nightmare but kongs, hooves and lots of brain training really helped! Fingers crossed she will be back to her usual self asap!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Dec 06 2012, 19:16

Depending on what we are doing, I use a gentle leader or ezydog (wide one on my worst pulling offender). Works wonders.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Dec 11 2012, 09:56

Collar arrived yesterday in a massive big box Surprised , I thought it was her coat at first till I opened it and had to rumble through all the package to look for the collar Laughing . It really does suit Pixee, photos to follow later. Ever took her out in it for a 10 min walk (bouncing off the walls) and boy she looked so pretty in it. Real pleased with it. Thanks all for the advice >Big Grin<
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11 2012, 16:18

i use 2 inch collars on the boys, firstly personal preference but it does spread the weight across the neck and not on one little point Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down