sleeping!!!

5 posters

Go down

sleeping!!! Empty sleeping!!!

Post by linzi82 Thu Nov 22 2012, 07:05

hi all looking for a bit advice on how to get harley to sleep longer than 2 hours at night!! last night he went into his crate after toilet himself then we all went t bed, sleept for only 2 hours i got up with him for about 20 mins then he even went back in for another 3 hours, any tips on how and when he will sleep a bit longer?? Straight Face
linzi82
linzi82
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

sleeping!!! Empty Re: sleeping!!!

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 08:29

How old is he ? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22 2012, 08:38

He'll sleep a longer when he gets older

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Thu Nov 22 2012, 09:09

The secret is not to go it him when he calls you after two hours if you do he will carry on calling you after two hours, i know it's hard not to go to him when he cry's for you but if you want a good night's sleep it's the best way, he will stop the calling for you once he realizes your not going to answer him, also leave something in his crate toys or even better something with your scent on it an older item of clothing this will give him security .
mickgill
mickgill
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Nov 22 2012, 09:20

The first few weeks are tough. He's basically a tiny baby. So long as he's been fed (4 times a day) has peed n pooped it's ok to leave him to 'cry' at night when he wakes.
In the early weeks my 2 would cry at night, sometimes worse than a newborn baby, I would let them out for a pee, put them bk in their crate.

U can try covering his crate with a blanket to help him feel more settled, and so long as he has warm comfy blankets and a big snuggly soft toy to snuggle upto at night he will be fine.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Thu Nov 22 2012, 11:48

I was lucky with Bacchus, he never cried at night even from day 1. Having said that, I got up each morning about 3.30/4am for the first few weeks to take him into the garden so as to avoid accidents in his crate, but eventually found I was having to wake him up to ( reluctantly ) go. For the last few weeks he goes to bed at 11pm and that's him until 7 am. and even then he's still sleepy, but he is a lazy little bugger, definitely not a morning person Laughing
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by linzi82 Thu Nov 22 2012, 19:32

thanx for all replys i look forward to switching on to read my advice! harley is 7 weeks and sleeping at the moment on the chair! all good advice again from all just need it all to work now! going to try leave him tonight when he crys for a bit instead of jumping every noise. invested in a gate today so at least i know he cant get up to anything when not looking and since i have got him i have not left him alone yet so thatl be my next task. regarding his snapping and grrowling from the other day, he hasnt improved one bit can really growl for the size of him, my mum keeps saying he gony have bad temper but i just keep repeating the advice from here!!
linzi82
linzi82

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog(s) Ages : 15 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Thu Nov 22 2012, 19:59

Crate training is a good idea Linzi Duke has been in his since he was 8 weeks and sleeps right through the night , one of our friends came round the other day she said i could sleep in there never mind Duke Smile , worth a try i find it stops them chewing household items that you really don't want them to chew as well Laughing , keep us updated Linzi and good luck .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by astubliffhacked Fri Nov 23 2012, 21:34

linzi, i was new to all this puppy stuff and read the forum for advice, noah was 7 weeks old when we had him.
first night we put a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow case and inside the pillow case also went a ticking clock.
he as never woke up in the night from the first night!!!! Surprised
we were lucky, but give it a try.
p.s. the clock went after 4 weeks but we still put in the warm hot water bottle.
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noah
Dog(s) Ages : 21 months
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23 2012, 23:55

linzi82 wrote:thanx for all replys i look forward to switching on to read my advice! harley is 7 weeks and sleeping at the moment on the chair! all good advice again from all just need it all to work now! going to try leave him tonight when he crys for a bit instead of jumping every noise. invested in a gate today so at least i know he cant get up to anything when not looking and since i have got him i have not left him alone yet so thatl be my next task. regarding his snapping and grrowling from the other day, he hasnt improved one bit can really growl for the size of him, my mum keeps saying he gony have bad temper but i just keep repeating the advice from here!!

Are you kidding? It's going to be a long road Laughing sit back, relax and be patient Big Grin Loki's biting didn't improve for ages. I thought he was never going to get better, ever, but he did, it just took a while. The snapping and growling is either playing, pushing boundaries or just being bossy and demanding. Either way, just don't give into his bossiness and he'll get out of it. Staffs are stubborn and you have to be more stubborn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 24 2012, 04:29

reuben wrote:
I was lucky with Bacchus, he never cried at night even from day 1. Having said that, I got up each morning about 3.30/4am for the first few weeks to take him into the garden so as to avoid accidents in his crate, but eventually found I was having to wake him up to ( reluctantly ) go. For the last few weeks he goes to bed at 11pm and that's him until 7 am. and even then he's still sleepy, but he is a lazy little bugger, definitely not a morning person Laughing

See!! I keep saying Bacchus is perfect Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Nov 24 2012, 05:30

Regarding snapping n growling, they all do this...he's 7 weeks, and will be enjoying exploring things with his mouth !
It might take a few weeks for the penny to drop that Hoomans are not chew toys ! A short sharp yelp is usually enough to refocus their attention. His manners will come so dint be disheartened.

But tbh at 7weeks, one step at a time, technically he shouldn't be away from his mother and litter mates yet...

All the best x
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down