teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away

+2
Jackieb
emmalouise_1982
6 posters

Go down

teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away  Empty teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away

Post by emmalouise_1982 Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:04

hiya all im just wondering how can i teach my puppy to be of lead and not run away. i would like to take her to a field and chuck the ball for her, but im scared she will run off confused any advice plz x
emmalouise_1982
emmalouise_1982
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jess
Dog(s) Ages : 12 wks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away  Empty Re: teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:08

Start training with a long lead and build from there

Back to top Go down

teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away  Empty Re: teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:12

Start indoors & then in the garden - build up a strong recall. Call her & show her a favourite treat, when she gets to you, loads of praise & the treat.

Then use a long line outside (about 30' long, you can get them on ebay and amazon). Let the line trail & make sure that it's always within easy reach. Call her, if she doesn't come back first go, real her in with the long line. She'll soon realise that the recall means "Come here now".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:16

Firstly you need to teach your puppy recall, I'm doing this by using a long (15mtre) lead. When we walk I let her go and explore on lead and I stop, I then call her back to me.. The easiest way I found to do this was by crouching down and clapping and calling her. When she comes back I make a huge fuss over her being a good girl and give a treat Big Grin Then repeat this process over and over again for months Laughing Until she comes back every single time, in all different situations, other dogs or people etc.. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks now and she is getting much better, but I still wouldn't consider letting her off lead anytime soon, unless it's at the fenced off leash park..

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:51

Have some tasty treats in ur pocket, evey time she comes bk make a huge fuss of her and give a treat (I've been using sliced up hotdogs , my 2 go mental for them!)
I started with a 30ft long line, which is good, then took Tank to a fenced in double tennis court area! He was great and did as his told.

Every morning they have a run round the big fields usually with my friends dogs, it's great seeing them interact.

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:54

Another little tip. When you're at the park, don't just let her off lead as soon as you go in & not put her lead on again until you go home - she'll associate her lead going on with her fun stopping (going home). Every so often during the fun, call her back, pop her on the lead for a minute & then let her off again!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21 2012, 10:57

Caryll wrote:Another little tip. When you're at the park, don't just let her off lead as soon as you go in & not put her lead on again until you go home - she'll associate her lead going on with her fun stopping (going home). Every so often during the fun, call her back, pop her on the lead for a minute & then let her off again!

Thats a good tip Caryll, I never thought of that although it answers a couple of questions I had, thanks Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Nov 21 2012, 11:05

Kat75 wrote:
Caryll wrote:Another little tip. When you're at the park, don't just let her off lead as soon as you go in & not put her lead on again until you go home - she'll associate her lead going on with her fun stopping (going home). Every so often during the fun, call her back, pop her on the lead for a minute & then let her off again!

Thats a good tip Caryll, I never thought of that although it answers a couple of questions I had, thanks Big Grin

Good tip Caryll. I had a scare with Bacchus last week. Went to put him on his lead after a very short off-lead walk and he decided he hadn't been off his lead long enough and wouldn't come. Luckily he decided he wanted to go home so headed in the right direction.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 21 2012, 12:39

Do some recall training using a long training lead, get him/her to sit then say stay, take a few steps back then call him/her to you. If all goes well use a high value treat, like a small piece of cheese or something similar. Keep building up the distance between you and your dog when you call them over.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Wed Nov 21 2012, 22:37

practice recall throughout the house, lots of tasty treats. tennis courts a good one. My trainer said that when young they like to stay close so wouldnt go too far. It worked with mine, but she had a good recall before i decided to risk it.
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
teaching my puppy to be of lead with out running away  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by emmalouise_1982 Tue Nov 27 2012, 11:17

thank-you for all your replys i will defo give the recall a go. Big Grin
emmalouise_1982
emmalouise_1982

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jess
Dog(s) Ages : 12 wks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue Nov 27 2012, 12:59

We are using this method now and miley is over 2 years old. It does seem to work and we only started 2 days ago
Mark
Mark

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 27 2012, 13:16

Kat75 wrote:

Our 2 are normally very good at coming back to go on lead (providing there are no major distractions) they do not associate the lead with the fun stopping as our walks have always been broken with other walkers and me clipping them on so by default they have learnt very well

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down