CaraElizabeth
goldie87
Eddie
_Jason_
11 posters

Go down

lead help puppy says no Empty lead help puppy says no

Post by _Jason_ Sat Jun 08 2013, 15:47

Brox has been able to walk now for 2 weeks when i first tried him with his lead he hated it struggled like mad like i was gonna kill him and when i finally put it on after trying for awhile he sat in the corner of the room and cried looking worried,iv been taking him out walks with no lead on and its been great he keeps quite close,behind my house theres a public park and a walk way the whole way round it so hes never been out on main road.i still however need him to be ok on the lead as when hes older and i start taking him out to places further away.

I tried him on the lead today and the same thing happened,i held him down so my girl can put the lead an collar on him and he moves about that much its hard even when someones holding him he really has a massive issue with something being put round his kneck.

In general no matter what i would never have my dog run around the house all his life with a collar on i see no point in it.

What can i do?
_Jason_
_Jason_
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

lead help puppy says no Empty Re: lead help puppy says no

Post by Eddie Sat Jun 08 2013, 16:00

Hey am no expert i had this prob and was adviced on here to let him have lead on in house garden ect a few days b4 his walks it has worked for me eddie sits and waits now but my probs gettinf him to walk while out haha he just sits down apart from last night i decided to run and he did run with me keep at it Smile
Eddie
Eddie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Eddie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 month
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Jun 08 2013, 16:16

Zeus was the exact same, he didn't like the lead at all when we first start taking him for walks. The way we dealt with it was to just clip the lead on him, and let him walk around the house/back garden with it hanging off him. He did have a good chew on it but eventually he got used to it and didn't care about the lead, he just wanted to explore.

It will take a bit of time, just be patient. At first Zeus was scared to even go outside, he wouldn't move one bit, but now he's the complete opposite!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08 2013, 16:39

Oh, dear, poor little guy. If you were held down to have a lead attached you would be pretty miserable as well!

You might have to stop the walks for a few days to get him used to the lead from scratch. Taking him out without it is really not advisable.

Just pop his collar on indoors & leave him to potter about a bit. Keep the lead on a chair or table so it's easy to get to. While you're giving him some fuss, clip the lead on & then ignore it. Don't pick it up, just play with him & give him a treat or two. Let him drag it around for a few minutes & then take it off.

After a couple of days doing that, pick the lead up & let him lead you around, just follow wherever he goes. Another day or two & you can start to ask him to follow you when you pick the lead up. Just keep the lead loose & walk backwards, offering him a treat. He'll soon start to associate the lead with play & goodies!

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Sat Jun 08 2013, 19:09

Can't really add much but Caryll's advice is fab! I would definitely start from scratch and pop his lead on for a few minutes while in the house first to get him used to it. I also wouldn't advice having him out without the lead yet especially if you haven't practiced recall. He will be "great" at staying close until he isn't and runs off and then it could be too late!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08 2013, 19:50

I can't do better than echo Caryll and Cara. I've never had a puppy yet that didn't hate his/her collar at first.

If Brox is only 8 weeks old he is still a baby and everything, but everything, will be new to him. As advised above, start again and gently, calmly and gradually get him used to having his collar on in the house. Please DON'T pin him down! plenty of treats, praise and distractions. Not tight at first, but not loose enough that he can get a paw through it. Then build it up gradually introduce the lead as suggested above. It may take a little time (days, if not weeks) to build up his trust as he has quite frankly had a traumatic experience from being forced into the experience (sorry to be blunt). At so young an age, he easily forego walks outside your premises for a few weeks until he is reasonably comfortable in a collar, and then with a lead attached. And then, do remember that 5 minutes walk per month of age is the maximum for growing puppies.

He will get there! It just takes patience and calmness and before you know it the collar and lead will be a welcome sight to Brox. Please don't contemplate walking him outside your premises without it though, particularly the collar (it's the law, apart from the safety aspect).

Oh, and the many of us do not have collars on our dogs when they inside our house or (Staffy-proofed) gardens.

Good luck >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2013, 17:36

fab advice above so I won't add to it, darcy hated her collar & lead & going out for ages, we have made her walks super fun with lead walking and off lead play (in a fenced of area) and now she goes crackers when we pick up her lead & collar Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nats81 Fri Jun 14 2013, 18:54

I've had the same problem with bronson but we have finally cracked it ... He just didn't like the collar!!! I have got him a small harness and he walks perfect I'm no expert at all and all dogs are different but give it a try with a harness and see how u go and get plenty of treats lol Smile
Nats81
Nats81
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : bronson
Dog(s) Ages : 12 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Sat Jun 15 2013, 16:02

Rocky was exactly the same, even tried biting the lead off, but when we took Rocky to puppy training classes our trainer advised to practice in the yard with lots of treats, keeps them encouraged with lots of praise and eventually he got the hang of it, took around 2 weeks but he is wonderful now!
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by _Jason_ Tue Jun 18 2013, 12:17

Got broxi a harness instead of the collar,i have put it on whens hes sleeping then he wakes up doesnt like it but i take him straight outside to play and it doesnt bother him no more.

This will be the 3rd day of training him to accept the harness and its going quite well

Smile
_Jason_
_Jason_

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : July 4th
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18 2013, 12:20

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jun 18 2013, 13:16

Pleased to read you are making some progress, well done.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janfrost489 Fri Aug 02 2013, 06:18

Hi we had the same problem with sasha when first walking her. I ended up buying her a harness and extendable lead and the problem was solved straight away. She now loves going out for walks twice a day. Hope this helps Smile
janfrost489
janfrost489

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 06/05/2013
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by gimli Fri Aug 02 2013, 09:56

We put our 8wk old straight into his collar and he's accepted it after a while. For myself and the lead we used it to take him in garder at all times so he's never been out without it. He walks fine but was not happy about it at first.glad you got it sorted.
gimli
gimli
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : bilbo
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty Slabb Sun Aug 04 2013, 09:12

Lynda wrote:I can't do better than echo Caryll and Cara.  I've never had a puppy yet that didn't hate his/her collar at first.

If Brox is only 8 weeks old he is still a baby and everything, but everything, will be new to him.  As advised above, start again and gently, calmly and gradually get him used to having his collar on in the house.  Please DON'T pin him down!  plenty of treats, praise and distractions.  Not tight at first, but not loose enough that he can get a paw through it.  Then build it up gradually introduce the lead as suggested above.  It may take a little time (days, if not weeks) to build up his trust as he has quite frankly had a traumatic experience from being forced into the experience (sorry to be blunt).  At so young an age, he easily forego walks outside your premises for a few weeks until he is reasonably comfortable in a collar, and then with a lead attached.  And then, do remember that 5 minutes walk per month of age  is the maximum for growing puppies.  

He will get there!  It just takes patience and calmness and before you know it the collar and lead will be a welcome sight to Brox.  Please don't contemplate walking him outside your premises without it though, particularly the collar (it's the law, apart from the safety aspect).

Oh, and the many of us do not have collars on our dogs when they inside our house or (Staffy-proofed) gardens.

Good luck  >Big Grin<

May I ask what concerns one may have if the walk is longer. My pup is now 3 months and I did a few 30 min walks with her this week... No problems from her... But, now I'm a little concerned..
Marty Slabb
Marty Slabb
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Vashti
Dog(s) Ages : 13 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Aug 04 2013, 09:16

Over exercising a pup can cause damage to their joints as they are still growing, general rule is 5 mins per month of age 2/3 times a day Smile Check out this link on puppy exercise for guidance Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/how_should_i_exercise_my_staffy_pup
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by CaraElizabeth Mon Aug 05 2013, 03:47

So glad to hear that you have seen progress and that he doesn't seem to mind the harness as much! It will take time but I'm sure in no time he won't mind it at all! Just continue to do it everyday!
CaraElizabeth
CaraElizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gwen
Dog(s) Ages : 12/22/2012
Support total : 145

Back to top Go down