learning recall help please

3 posters

Go down

learning recall help please Empty learning recall help please

Post by MarleyAndMe Mon Jan 31 2011, 12:25

marley is really good when its just me an him out for walks and he's off the lead but as soon as another dog apears or another person he's off like a shot im not fussed about him being nasty as he's not but if he goes up to the wrong dog and it has a go at him i dont want him to get hurt or if the person doesnt want muddy paws all over them, ive had incidents where there's been other people with there dogs that are on a lead and marleys gone bombing it over and i can tell instantly what there thinking "oh no here's one of them nasty horible dogs quick pull my dog away before he gets bit" ive evan had a man try to smack him with a stick which i can assure you my french was on form that day to put the guy in his place before marley got a whack for nothing but when he is bombing it round playing with other dogs i carnt get him to come to me evan with treats i have to let the other owners get hold of there dogs to draw marley in so i can grab his harness any tips would be great cheers Sad
MarleyAndMe
MarleyAndMe
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

learning recall help please Empty Re: learning recall help please

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 12:57

Marley is still very young & finds everything exciting. I'm only just getting Dempsey's recall to improve, and he's nearly 2 years old!

Make sure you take some treats with you or a favourite toy & distract him with them as soon as you see another dog. Keep reinforcing the recall when there are no dogs around. You'll find that you will get a 'control distance' & you'll know how far you can let him go before calling him back. You'll also develop a 'dog radar' - you'll know there's another dog about before you even see it & you'll be able to call him before he sees em!

If you're really having problems, though, you could try a long line so that he gets some freedom to run, but can't run off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Mon Jan 31 2011, 13:48

I have exactly the same problem, Lola's recall is excellent when no one else is around. I tend to put her on her lead if I see another person, as I know I cannot control the jumping up with muddy paws.

With other dogs I find she learns to keep her distance if the other dogs are a bit disgruntled with her.

I take treats aswell, but may introduce a ball and try to see if I can get obsessed with it as my last staffie was.

Louise C
Louise C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleyAndMe Mon Jan 31 2011, 15:00

i was thinking about a boomer ball as treats only work if he's within 20yards and i can get him to see ive got treats and yes i no what you mean by "doggy radar" haha people ask why i keep him on a lead but i have to explain that his recall is pants and he doesnt listen all the time and he's not a nasty dog, but once ive spoke to the other dog owner and they've seen he's just very excitable i let him off for a run with the other dogs where's the best place to get a boomer ball from?
MarleyAndMe
MarleyAndMe

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 15:20

Ebay's a good place to start. They're a little cheaper than the shops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 31 2011, 20:17

Can't add any more than Caryll has put, always good advise

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Jan 31 2011, 20:45

Check out Chemist Direct for a boomer ball as well.

It's the only thing we can use for Molly's recall when other dogs are around, she's getting better slowly in the garden with treats though!

One thing I'd suggest is try getting your friends, if they have any dogs to help you out, at least then it's not a complete stranger who Marley goes bounding over to if he does decide to have selective hearing!
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content