adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs

4 posters

Go down

adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs Empty adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:13

so in the last couple of days, we have encountered:

2 little white terriers types that went savage barking at Jelly even though we were walking on the other side of the street and she didn't even clock them. the staffie standing with its owner, who was talking to the little yippers owner, wasn't barking at them either or even paying them attention but when we moved on, they turned their yippiness on him.

a little puffball sort of thing that showed teeth and barked at her for no apparent reason

and a Jack Russell at the vet who, while she submissively as always was on her back and letting him sniff a bit, had a go at her ear and grabbed on while snarling and giving it a good, toothy shake. Luckily no skin broken or blood, but I'm sure it couldn't have been pleasant having her head used as a chew toy

Don't you just wish the ban the breed lawmakers were around for stuff like that?
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs Empty Re: adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:15

Those little terrorisers can be a pain in the butt at times. Sadly it is usually the owners at fault though for not training correctly.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs Empty Re: adventures with little, nasty, yippy dogs

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:18

yes, absolutely - it's not the dog's fault, and that's a 2 way street - with "dangerous" breeds that are banned or suspect, or not.
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:19

As irritating as they are, Biscuit is also very reactive to other dogs and I've been working with her for 6 months to correct it, so I can't help but think there might be a reason behind why they're like it, could be a rescue or attacked in the past for example? The difference is, I keep Biscuit under control and don't let her approach unknown dogs!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:21

I don't always let her go up to other dogs, but if I do, it's only when I've asked the owner if they can say hello and if their dog is nice. Apparently the Jack Russell wasn't so nice. The owner didn't really seem bothered though LOL
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:23

Oh no I wasn't talking about you Laughing I was talking about the owners with reactive dogs that readily let them interact with other dogs when they know they're a problem!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:25

Which is usually small dog owners as they know they can't do much damage, therefore they won't get in a lot of trouble Rolling Eyes
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:27

haha it's OK, I know! I was agreeing with you Smile and I agree with you again lol
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:30

Oh haha god sorry I'm half asleep! sleepy
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 10:33

no worries LOL I wasn't very clear anyway Tongues
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 15 2012, 11:27

I've never had any bad reactions with small dogs. I'm more worried about Loki being too rough with the small dogs than their reactions to him. Two Staffs and a Rottweiler have gone for him or growled at him, so for some reason he doesn't annoy the little ones. I feel sorry for small breed dogs to be honest, because their owners are more likely to be the ones who let them get away with behaviours you'd never put up with in a bigger dog. So they themselves end up with a bad reputation because of the owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 11:28

I really think that small dog owners can have a strange mentality because their dogs are dinky. Well trained small dogs can be wonderful, I will be honest and say there are only a couple of breeds that I would at a push say I don't 'like' and even that isn't the right description just can't find a better way. They aren't small breeds though (one is a dalmatian..never taken to them but perhaps one day i will meet one that softens me Laughing ). We are constantly yapped at my the little dogs, usually yorkies or jrt - I roll my eyes now as I have come to expect it, and they are kind of funny with their "I'll have ya scrappy dooesque yammering". The owners never seem to correct the behaviour though and this is what the problem is for sure. The bull breeds so far haven't been a dot of trouble when we are out, again down to owners though. Bloody humans! Laughing
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 11:30

ANattyRat wrote:I've never had any bad reactions with small dogs. I'm more worried about Loki being too rough with the small dogs than their reactions to him. Two Staffs and a Rottweiler have gone for him or growled at him, so for some reason he doesn't annoy the little ones. I feel sorry for small breed dogs to be honest, because their owners are more likely to be the ones who let them get away with behaviours you'd never put up with in a bigger dog. So they themselves end up with a bad reputation because of the owners.

I agree here Tara, JRT's have a reputation and are called all sorts of derogatory names. I have always quite liked them, give our staffs a run for the money in the stubborn stakes though Laughing
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Thu Nov 15 2012, 15:04

I actually do like little dogs generally - we even thought about getting a JRT or the like before we decided on Jellybean. It's the specific ones really, the ones whose owners don't discipline them. The "ban the breed people should see this" comment I made was not about them, but about seeing how my bull breed is the one getting barked at and that they aren't (all?) dangerous, that it really is down to the owner.

Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 15 2012, 15:41

Most definitely, it's such a shame that there are so many irresponsible and silly people out there!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down