janey
Kathy
Dan/Kay
10 posters

Go down

Chewing problem Empty Chewing problem

Post by Dan/Kay Sun Oct 28 2012, 19:50

Hi everyone.

We have a blue staffy called Willow, Shes just turned a year old.

She loves to chew alot of things including our sofa, coffee table, shoes, wall paper, rugs and her own things including her plastic bowls! We got metal ones now. We got alot of chewing toys and treats for her and also got stopping chewing spray. She actually chewed the spray bottle lol. She has wropes, a kong, soft toys, chewing treats, balls. She even chewed through her leads while we was out and now she has a metal chain one. lol.

Any advise or ideas will be great. Thank you Chewing problem 833335
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : willow
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year old
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Chewing problem Empty Re: Chewing problem

Post by Kathy Sun Oct 28 2012, 19:53

Have you tried a stag bar they are great for chewers, Rocky has these. You can get some bitter apple spray which is a deterrent for chewing all the furniture. I cannot recommend this personally though as I have never used it but other members here have.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Oct 28 2012, 19:57

Never had a chewer so to speak, vinegar is good apparently. Have you thought of crating whilst you are out Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 19:59

Hi Kathy - I've written elsewhere on this forum (Has your dog wrecked your furniture) as I have much the same problem as Dan/Kay.

I'm interested to hear about the bitter apple spray - I'll try anything short of violence! Do you know from where it can be obtained?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan/Kay Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:15

We haven't tried that bitter apple spray, where can you get it from? We'll try anything!!! Just looked at the stagbars, they look good. Dog's can be sooo expensive lol. Sooo spoilt. Crating?... Does that mean putting her in the cage?
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:27

If thats what you want to call it lol. Never used one myself but if used correctly its there little den and safe haven, where they will sleep when you go out rather than chew things. Sometimes safer for them and you!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan/Kay Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:35

lol. ok, we will try that aswell. thank you all for your advise. Much needed
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:57

We have been lucky Sophie hasn't tried to chew anything but we she does have a Stag bar which we got from Amazon.
You can also get bitter apple spray from Amazon.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Sun Oct 28 2012, 21:13

Rolo has the stag bars.. loves them.. and they really can handle some good hard chewing... He also gets caged, has done since he was a pup, he has no worries about his cage, takes himself off there half the time. Admittedly his chewing has stopped now and when i'm out he's left in the hallway with his cage open and his box of toys. Also leave him with a frozen stuffed kong or similar if i'm out for more than 2 hours. Good luck, Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Chewing problem Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Oct 28 2012, 21:39

Also advocate bitter apple spray. Worked wonders with a foster puppy I had a while back Smile Got it from amazon! That with a mix of exercise, mental stimulation, the crate and lots of chewy bars worked a treat!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 21:46

I'm off to Amazon NOW - thanks Bob and Rachel. anything to stop my sofa being eaten Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 00:22

Bitter Apple works well. All we have to do is show Suki the bottle and she will stop. Vicks will work as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan330 Mon Oct 29 2012, 09:44

I made a chilli spray, dissolve hot chilli powder in water (plenty of it) and spray on the stuff you don't want them to chew. sounds extreme but Monty has stopped chewing everything with it on. I tried the Anti chew spray, bitter apple and vinegar... they didn't work.
Dan330
Dan330
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Monty
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 09:49

pepper works for us on the carpet etc but never had a problem with table legs etc , need to put something on my shed though Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:42

Bitter apple spray is great. It really helped our table legs.

We crate Ralph - he actually really likes his den, takes himself in there for some time out so I'm really happy for him to use that.

We also have a stag bar for Ralph, and Kong's with banana, yogurt and some kibble frozen are great too to keep them occupied!

Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan/Kay Mon Oct 29 2012, 20:12

Getting the stag bar tomorrow and ordered the apple spray.

She has a stuffed kong with treats and banana ( she loves banana) but never frozen it but thats now in the freezer!!! lol. thanks for the tips everyone. Anything please say.
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan/Kay Sun Nov 25 2012, 11:24

Got Willow a stag bar 3weeks ago and there is hardly anything left. lol. Think we will get a large one next time. Great buy tho! She hasn't ruined anything since we bought it and she loves it. Thanx again.
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by ergo Sun Nov 25 2012, 11:33

she's a staffy.

that's her job.

ergo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 12:07

ergo wrote:she's a staffy.

that's her job.

What's her job?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:18

Dan/Kay wrote:We haven't tried that bitter apple spray, where can you get it from? We'll try anything!!! Just looked at the stagbars, they look good. Dog's can be sooo expensive lol. Sooo spoilt. Crating?... Does that mean putting her in the cage?

Yes it means putting her in a cage. but its for her own good if she chews stuff then whats to say when your out she finds something electrical to chew. or chews something apart and chokes on something. as mean as putting her in the cage sounds its for her own safety and as a bonus you dont have to keep buying new furniture.
Every time we leave the house or go up to bed gary goes into his crate, hes been really good with it though he gives me puppy eyes when goes in and whimpers for a minute or so then when he knows he isnt coming out for a while he stomps his bed to make the cover comfy for him and goes to sleep.
In the day when people are downstairs we leave the door open and sometimes he walks in there himself and goes to sleep for abit.

Take note though,
* A dog doesnt like to wee or poo in his own area so you will need somebody to be able check on him to let him out and go do his buisness. different ages depend on how frequent but youll know your dog best.
* Never put him in his crate as a punishment or he will start to associate his crate in a bad way and not want to go in.
* when introducing him to his Crate stick some of his favorite toys in there or anything he likes that is familiar like a blanket that he likes, obviously a comfy bed for him and water on food if your going be out for a while. We put a hot water bottle in with gary aswell which goes in his bed to keep him warm and relaxed. but bear the chewing in mind if your going to do that.

at a year old your dog is alot older than mine but she is still a young dog keep that in mind and be patient with her im sure she will mature and stop teh chewing Smile if not you might want to have a think about taking her to behaviour classes.

Best of luck
- Dan
Stokester
Stokester

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 25 2012, 23:25

Stokester wrote:
Dan/Kay wrote:We haven't tried that bitter apple spray, where can you get it from? We'll try anything!!! Just looked at the stagbars, they look good. Dog's can be sooo expensive lol. Sooo spoilt. Crating?... Does that mean putting her in the cage?

Yes it means putting her in a cage. but its for her own good if she chews stuff then whats to say when your out she finds something electrical to chew. or chews something apart and chokes on something. as mean as putting her in the cage sounds its for her own safety and as a bonus you dont have to keep buying new furniture.
Every time we leave the house or go up to bed gary goes into his crate, hes been really good with it though he gives me puppy eyes when goes in and whimpers for a minute or so then when he knows he isnt coming out for a while he stomps his bed to make the cover comfy for him and goes to sleep.
In the day when people are downstairs we leave the door open and sometimes he walks in there himself and goes to sleep for abit.

Take note though,
* A dog doesnt like to wee or poo in his own area so you will need somebody to be able check on him to let him out and go do his buisness. different ages depend on how frequent but youll know your dog best.
* Never put him in his crate as a punishment or he will start to associate his crate in a bad way and not want to go in.
* when introducing him to his Crate stick some of his favorite toys in there or anything he likes that is familiar like a blanket that he likes, obviously a comfy bed for him and water on food if your going be out for a while. We put a hot water bottle in with gary aswell which goes in his bed to keep him warm and relaxed. but bear the chewing in mind if your going to do that.

at a year old your dog is alot older than mine but she is still a young dog keep that in mind and be patient with her im sure she will mature and stop teh chewing Smile if not you might want to have a think about taking her to behaviour classes.

Best of luck
- Dan

Very good post! thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan/Kay Mon Nov 26 2012, 19:31

ooooh ok. Thanks alot. We was thinking of taking her to those classes as she likes to jump up at people when we are out to fuss her. Trying to get her to walk past without jumping up and listen better would help. lol. i'll look into it. Have you had a staffy before then as you know alot. Thanx again!
Dan/Kay
Dan/Kay

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content