How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes

+4
Kathy
Lou&percy :)
janey
Beryltheperil
8 posters

Go down

How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes  Empty How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes

Post by Beryltheperil Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:17

Beryls been here a week today ( time flies when your having fun!) we knew before we brought her home she had a bit of an other dog problem, so said from the outset that behaviour classes would be the way forward, now I'm wondering how long we should leave it? I know its a bit of a how long is a bit of string question, but not sure if to sign up for the new class that starts next weekend to help us get used to one another or wait for a couple of months till we are both used to one another and then start with the classes?

Thank you

Confused of Bath Laughing
Beryltheperil
Beryltheperil
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Beryl
Dog(s) Ages : 1-3
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes  Empty Re: How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes

Post by janey Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:21

If it was me I would leave it a little longer. can the vets cut down her age a little more? or is it 1-3?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes  Empty Re: How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:26

I'd be inclined to let her settle in a bit more first. Another couple of weeks should do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou&percy :) Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:32

When we rescued Percy, they advised 4 weeks before starting a class, just so we both knew each other well. X

Lou&percy :)
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
How long between rescue and starting behaviour classes  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Percy
Dog(s) Ages : 22 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Beryltheperil Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:34

We are still working on the 1 to 3.... possibly another silly question but we insured her and registered her with the local vet, should we/will they get in contact for a health check over/welcome to the surgery?

Rescue centre did say we could keep her registered under their insurance/vet for 3 months but its an hour and a half away so seemed to make sense to register closer to home. They have been answering every ( what I feel like stupid question I've thrown at them) but have been trying to ask here as well/instead of to get a rounded answer to them all!!
Beryltheperil
Beryltheperil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:35

When we got Rocky from the rescue centre we left it 6 weeks before starting at the training lessons, wish we had left it a little longer tbh though.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:40

I would take her into your vets, get them introduced and get her used to it, knowing its a nice place to go Smile before you go for the bad stuff lol! Easier for me as my vets is round the corner but they didn't mind me popping in so she got used to it, now we have no probs, they will also be able to narrow the birth date through the teeth (well usually can) X
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:42

When I got Dempsey (bit different, I know, cause Dempsey was nearly 8 weeks old!) we took him with us to the vets & registered him. Didn't let him down on the ground, of course, and the reception staff all used an anti bacterial hand gel before they touched him, but it helped him to not be scared of the vets.

Mind you, after 3 stays in vets hospital & two operations he now doesn't like going there at all! Sad

It wouldn't hurt just to let them give her a little health check.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 23 2012, 22:58

I am going to go against the grain and say go next weekend. If it is going to be a regular thing, you should get her used to getting out and going to new situations. That way she won't become too attached to you and hopefully won't be as anxious when you leave the house or become protective of you on a walk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Tue Oct 23 2012, 23:41

I'd go once the dog looks settled and responds to recall.
Keith
Keith

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Wingo and Captain Weemo
Dog(s) Ages : Probably about four and, er, ten maybe?
Dog Gender(s) : one of each
Support total : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlos16uk Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:47

We left it eight weeks to get Fiver settled in before taking him to class. I'm glad we did because we were able to work out his great points and one or two areas where we want to develop his behaviour so were able to target these areas with the trainer. TBH he's far too well trained for this level of class but my wife and I are being trained to handle him better rather than him learning anything he can't do. He is the star of the class as the previous owner did a great job with him.

As for the vets we took Fiver for a health check and to have all his injections brought up to date. Our class trainer won't allow dogs to attend that don't have an uptodate vaccinations certificate so unless your rescue centre gave you one you might need to spend a few quid to get your dog one.
Karlos16uk
Karlos16uk
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Fiver
Dog(s) Ages : Five
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Oct 24 2012, 10:25

Ooh your in bath! So are we! Which training class are you going to? With which trainer?
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sar H Wed Oct 24 2012, 11:47

I could have written the opening post! Maddie has been here 11 days and is doing really well but the DA that developed in kennels is still very apparent on walks. She has obviously been trained in the past, but we haven't, so we really want to get her to classes at some point. I was thinking about after Christmas, so she really has her paws under the table (she has had some short free sessions from a trainer who does a lot for the kennels she was in, so I have some good advice to work with).
I am north of the Bath junction of the M4 so a bit too far to go to the same classes though Wink
Sar H
Sar H

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maddie
Dog(s) Ages : about 9
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Beryltheperil Wed Oct 24 2012, 23:04

Nosipho wrote:Ooh your in bath! So are we! Which training class are you going to? With which trainer?

No idea if I'm honest was just gonna do a bit of googling!!
Beryltheperil
Beryltheperil

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down