First day on raw....still a bit unsure

Go down

First day on raw....still a bit unsure Empty First day on raw....still a bit unsure

Post by Ticklymac Fri Oct 12 2012, 17:12

So i had been considering a raw diet for Diesel for a while, she had a sensitive tummy as a pup (vet suggested colitis) so moved her onto Wainwrights puppy dry and meat and this was fine but she had terrible farts and was still sometimes doing runny poos! Lately this has got worse and shes had constant runs, i cut the meat out and it seemed to clear up a bit.
I then started reading up on the raw diet and it seemed like it may be the answer. I have since read almost every forum on here about raw diet and decided just to go for it.....
However i am still a bit unsure about quantity and variation? Especially since i just read a post about extreme runs and vets warning off raw diet!

I gave her a large chicken wing and a drumstick today (about 360g in total) and she loved it!! was sniffing around kitchen for more for ages!

Am a best just to stick to chicken for a few weeks?
I bought wings, thighs and drumsticks....but not frozen should a freeze them and defrost before feeding them?
I feel like i've mayb jumped into fast?

HELP!
Ticklymac
Ticklymac
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

First day on raw....still a bit unsure Empty Re: First day on raw....still a bit unsure

Post by Guest Fri Oct 12 2012, 18:01

A lot of people try one protein source at a time, so chicken for a couple of weeks, then maybe lamb or beef etc. I went straight into a varied diet with Dempsey, but without the chicken because he's intolerant & it gives him the runs.

Don't stress too much about weights, just keep an eye on her general condition. If she starts to lose a bit of weight then increase the amount and if she starts to put on weight just reduce the amounts.

Don't forget that she'll need the occasional bit of offal to keep her healthy.

You can freeze the bones if you want, although it isn't strictly necessary as long as they are fresh. Defrost overnight. You can, however, give it still frozen or partly defrosted if you time it wrong! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

First day on raw....still a bit unsure Empty Re: First day on raw....still a bit unsure

Post by Ticklymac Fri Oct 12 2012, 18:10

Thanks!

I have given her liver and kidneys before as a treat but i cooked them slightly first. i tried to give her a small bit of kidney at the start of the week raw and she just kinda chewed and spat it back out....is it supposed to be raw or is it ok to cook it slightly? how much should i give as i read too much liver can be bad because of high iron content?
Ticklymac
Ticklymac

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel + Leroy
Dog(s) Ages : 17mnths - bout 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ male
Support total : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down