Missy is terrified of loud noises!

3 posters

Go down

Missy is terrified of loud noises! Empty Missy is terrified of loud noises!

Post by Kev13 Mon Oct 08 2012, 17:42

hey everyone

have had Missy for about 6 months now(but she is 2) and she has always been sensitive to loud noises.
recently she has been geting alot worse though.

a car backfired the other week just outside my house and poor missy just hit the floor,started trembeling,shaking and wimpering:( after that she would not go out the front door and would tremble and shake whenever she was outside,tail tucked between her legs the whole walk.
this went on for a week before she returned to normal and enjoyed her walks again.

even a door slaming to loud will frighten her half to death.

loud cars and sudden bangs are also a problem.

i am just worried because it is firework season soon and i know that if i was out walking her and a firework display went off the poor thing would probibly have a heart attack.

i know there is seditives that the vet can prescribe which will be great for bonfire night itself(which is also her birthday!) but does anyone know of something i can do/give her more regularly to help??

i am not sure if she just has realy sensitive hearing or whether something happened with the previous owners when she was a pup that has spooked her. any thoughts??

cheers Smile

Kev13
Kev13
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Missy
Dog(s) Ages : 2 D.O.B = Nov 5th 2009
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Missy is terrified of loud noises! Empty Re: Missy is terrified of loud noises!

Post by Kev13 Mon Oct 08 2012, 17:49

also i have had conflicting opinions on whether to achnolage or ignore her behavior when she hears a bang.so far if it was a realy louud noise i have been consoling her,telling her its ok etc but if it was a loud car or a motorbike i tend not to entertain her......
Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08 2012, 18:51

Don't console her, you risk making it worse. Humans help others by comforting them, but affection in the dog world is different. We make a fuss of our dogs when they do something we like; if we make a fuss of them when they're scared, they see it as their fear being re-affirmed. Whereas if you stay calm and give them space, they're more likely to get over it in time. Obviously if something has happened in the past that's traumatised her, ignoring her isn't going to cure it, but I'd definitely advice against stroking her, high-pitched happy talk, etc. while she's scared. Hopefully someone will be along to advise you on how to deal with the problem itself Smile

Although, one thing that worked for me was watching whatever it was. Loki was scared of lorries, people unpacking boxes from big vans, rubbish lorries, etc. I used to either ignore him and walk past them like everything was normal, or retreat a bit and get him to sit and just look at what it was and let him take it in (again just ignoring him). It worked. Even the other day we came across a binman who made a fuss of him, we turned around to continue walking and there was a lorry right next to us making huge noises, and Loki didn't care. That said, Loki was scared because it was normal puppy fear, whereas if Missy is scared of it because of what's gone on in her life before, it might require something different. That's all I could think of though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Mon Oct 08 2012, 19:47

One of the girls at work is trying this for her Staffy this bonfire night...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clix-Therapy-Fireworks-Desensitisation-Training/dp/B000VNL7BW

Not sure if it will do the trick, but worth a try. Her poor Pinks goes nuts while the fireworks are banging. This apparently gets them used to the sounds gradually. I don't know if anyone on here has tried it.

Big Grin
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 08 2012, 19:57

Have you thought about using the DAP spray. I use this for when Rocky goes on long car journeys as he can be a bit a anxious in the car. Just spray it on the bedding about 10-15 minutes before its needed and it does work, well for Rocky anyway.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/products-Adaptil-DAP-Dog-Appeasing-Pheromone-Spray_CN41005.htm?gclid=CPfit_6L8rICFUfKtAoduCcAOw

They also do a collar version:

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/productlist.asp?SearchString=DAP%20collars
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 08 2012, 20:15

You can get sedatives from the vet for fireworks night, but it only masks the problem, and doesn't solve it. Sad

As well as an Adaptil Diffuser or collar, you could try a Thundershirt - they create a feeling of wellbeing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev13 Mon Oct 08 2012, 23:59

thanks for suggestions everyone!Smile
will look into suggested items. i recently got her a coat because of the cold weather and that somehow makes her feel more secure.

Kev13
Kev13

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down