Snake Phobia

5 posters

Go down

Snake Phobia Empty Snake Phobia

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 11:51

Hi All,

I am soo worried right now.. I just found out a neighbours SBT was bitten by a brown snake today in their backyard Sad .. This is the worst time of the year now for snakes they are all just coming out of winter hibernation and they are searching for food.. Another neighbour informed me has had 4 snakes removed from his yard already..

I had just set up a semi outdoor/indoor area for Steffi to stay when im not home but it looks like now she will be back to being locked in the house.. Im terrified as I know she would think it was a new toy if she saw a snake and at the moment recall is an option (she will come only when it suits her).. So I guess now my main priority is training full on for recall, even when there is a distraction.. Im guessing long lead training with treats is the best method but any other recall training advice would be much appreciated.. At least if I can get her to come to me If we see a snake in the yard I will have a better chance of saving her from being bitten..

Back to top Go down

Snake Phobia Empty Re: Snake Phobia

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:01

nail biting I'd be absolutely paranoid!

A long line with high value treats is a good way to teach recall, but even better is to teach a reliable "Leave!" command!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:05

A long line and treats is the best way to teach recall in my opinion. It's pretty simple, they learn to come back to you but you still have control over them so it's all safe. I reckon "leave it" would be useful too. Loki likes to chase birds (especially crows for some reason) so I've been teaching him to leave them so that he won't always dive at them (eg when we're walking past them or in the road or whatever). It's been working pretty well, so it should work for snakes too. Sorry about the snake problem though, that must be worrying. I'm sure she'll be fine staying in the house while you're out for the time being though Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:11

Caryll wrote: nail biting I'd be absolutely paranoid!

A long line with high value treats is a good way to teach recall, but even better is to teach a reliable "Leave!" command!

I am absolutely terrified.. I was soo looking forward to her getting her shots this weekend and in a couple of weeks I wanted to walk along the trails but now I know there are brown snakes out there I know I need more reliable recall from her..

Thanks!! I'm guessing the "Leave" command would be taught with a long lead and treats.. Would I put "Naughty" things around the yard and when she goes to them say "leave" then pull her in and give treats??

Sorry I'm a novice at training and raising pups Blushing I'm learning a lot from this site.

Last edited by Kat75 on Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:12; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:12

Oh crikey what a worry, is it even possible to construct a snake proof enclosure ? They need only the tiniest of holes.

Agree about the longline for recall, treats and a favourite toy help too. Teaching the leave command is great as it covers so many situations, from dogs picking things up to even going to another dog/cat etc.

For my dogs leave covers (dont pick it up/drop it if something in their mouth and 'leave' When they focus on something they shouldn't such as that dog/cat/bird alone)
Good luck x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:15

Jackieb wrote:Oh crikey what a worry, is it even possible to construct a snake proof enclosure ? They need only the tiniest of holes.

Agree about the longline for recall, treats and a favourite toy help too. Teaching the leave command is great as it covers so many situations, from dogs picking things up to even going to another dog/cat etc.

For my dogs leave covers (dont pick it up/drop it if something in their mouth and 'leave' When they focus on something they shouldn't such as that dog/cat/bird alone)
Good luck x

Thanks i have been Googleing like crazy how to snake proof but apparentlt its impossible Sad Damn snakes should just stay in the bush..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:19

ANattyRat wrote:A long line and treats is the best way to teach recall in my opinion. It's pretty simple, they learn to come back to you but you still have control over them so it's all safe. I reckon "leave it" would be useful too. Loki likes to chase birds (especially crows for some reason) so I've been teaching him to leave them so that he won't always dive at them (eg when we're walking past them or in the road or whatever). It's been working pretty well, so it should work for snakes too. Sorry about the snake problem though, that must be worrying. I'm sure she'll be fine staying in the house while you're out for the time being though Smile

Thanks.. She is quite good in the house, its just been such lovely weather and the days I'm home she loves spending most of the day in the yard, and it is such a dog friendly yard too, it's just a shame that the snakes obviously like the nice weather too Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:23

Thank you all.. I will be doing a lot of long line training tomorrow and will also start the "leave" command too.. I will let you know how she goes with.. Smile

Fingers crossed for us this summer..

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:24

hmm short of buying a mongoose or honey badger, i haven't a clue, but as said before,recall training and leave commands should help and just scout round making sure there are no places snakes could hide or pray could hide
steve76
steve76
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 12:29

steve76 wrote:hmm short of buying a mongoose or honey badger, i haven't a clue, but as said before,recall training and leave commands should help and just scout round making sure there are no places snakes could hide or pray could hide

Laughing Thanks I needed to laugh about this... and believe me I have been thinking a lot more crazy than a mongoose.. But seriously, the carport and garden got a thorough tidy up this afternoon and first up tomorrow is mowing the lawns, they are short now, but I was told the shorter the better..

Ahhh the joys of living in this wonderful country.. Spose I have to take the good with the bad hey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 14:19

Kat75 wrote:

I am absolutely terrified.. I was soo looking forward to her getting her shots this weekend and in a couple of weeks I wanted to walk along the trails but now I know there are brown snakes out there I know I need more reliable recall from her..

Thanks!! I'm guessing the "Leave" command would be taught with a long lead and treats.. Would I put "Naughty" things around the yard and when she goes to them say "leave" then pull her in and give treats??

Sorry I'm a novice at training and raising pups Blushing I'm learning a lot from this site.

Regarding the leave it command, I taught it by putting a treat in a closed fist and letting Loki sniff it, and as soon as he turned away from it I gave him a treat and praised him. Eventually they leave it quicker, and then you can work on putting it on the floor and getting her to leave it, or walking her past something while telling her to leave it (while on a lead, helpfully Big Grin). That's what worked for me anyway Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Oct 02 2012, 15:08

Leave command is a must by the sounds of it. Also drop command very useful too, Rocky is currently learning this one with his ball.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 11:48

Thanks for all your advice.. I truly appreciate it Smile

So today we did a lot of lead training with "Come" commands.. she is getting the hang of it.. Definately want her to master it as quickly as possible.. Also made a start on the "leave it" command that was a flop today but i spose that is to be expected.. Its only day 1 for that..

Is it silly if I give her a special treat for doing it (like pieces of an arnotts biscuit as she looovves them) I need to make it to be absolute to her to come when i call.. The poor neighbours full grown SBT didn't pull through from his snake bite.. I truly don't think Steff would stand a chance Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 11:50

kathytake2 wrote:Leave command is a must by the sounds of it. Also drop command very useful too, Rocky is currently learning this one with his ball.

Great idea with the ball, she loves hers so if she learns to dropl on command then hopefully she will drop a slimey snake on command..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 03 2012, 12:02

ANattyRat wrote:
Kat75 wrote:

Regarding the leave it command, I taught it by putting a treat in a closed fist and letting Loki sniff it, and as soon as he turned away from it I gave him a treat and praised him. Eventually they leave it quicker, and then you can work on putting it on the floor and getting her to leave it, or walking her past something while telling her to leave it (while on a lead, helpfully Big Grin). That's what worked for me anyway Smile

Thanks.. Thats sounds like a great idea, the treat in the hand, as its different to the come command so not as confusing.. I'll deffs give this a go over the weekend Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Oct 03 2012, 13:40

OMG and to think we had a thread going here with worries about them eating slugs and snails!!!! Surprised Surprised
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04 2012, 01:23

reuben wrote:
OMG and to think we had a thread going here with worries about them eating slugs and snails!!!! Surprised Surprised

Hahaaa Laughing Yeah they gotta be tough around here, slugs n snails are no match... We have poisonous lizards, snakes and spiders to worry bout..

Back to top Go down

Post by kaztaz Thu Oct 04 2012, 16:41

Cant add much more but with the long lead make sure you use a harness and not a collar as you dont want to hurt her neck when they go bolting Smile Cant u build a incloser then at the bottom of the outside make a diy electric fence there really easy to make and can run of a small battery the snakes wont be able to climb over then?.My troy when out aint intrested with treats at all even chicken Laughing so we used a squeaky toy to get his attention then silly noises till he came to me then i used to click his clicker then loads of fuss mainly butt scratch Laughing He loves his clicker and he knows it brings good things ever food if in the house or butt scratch and fuss when we are out Smile
kaztaz
kaztaz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : troy
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down