Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work?

+3
JStaff
Rachel33
Mia05
7 posters

Go down

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? Empty Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work?

Post by canthavethat Mon Jul 20 2015, 20:10

Hi everyone

Has anyone tried desensitising their dog to the sound of fireworks/thunderstorms using CDs/recordings?

Bailey is terrified of both, and while I can deal with fireworks because I mostly know when they're coming, I am dreading a thunderstorm happening during the day... she gets into such a state that one of us would have to race home from work to be with her Sad so I am thinking of trying desensitisation CDs. Just wondering what results people have had?
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? Empty Re: Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work?

Post by stella Mon Jul 20 2015, 20:25

no sorry i have never used them,sash hates fireworks too and its a nightmare time,we used dap spray and she has a thunder jacket,i hope you have some luck with the cds,do let us know how she gets on with them Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? Empty Re: Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work?

Post by Mia05 Mon Jul 20 2015, 20:52

i just played ordinary calming music with thumps occassionally mia has never let fireworks bother her but played music more for the little budgie i had . hope the cds work

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Jul 20 2015, 21:23

Hiya - I've used them, Bug's phobia has definitely improved but we have tried so many things I can't say what did it. She didn't react even 50% as severely to the cd, even with it on a louder volume however, as she did to the real thing. I think it's possibly the vibrations/tension/general feel of the storm/fireworks.

We tried diazepam, thunder shirts, valerian spray, DAP collars, loud music/TV, lots of exercise before. The best combination we have found is a massive walk before plus thundershirt, and loud TV & curtains closed. But as you have said, that won't help in the middle of the day if there's a storm. It's such a hard thing to work with, and is really trial and error.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Mon Jul 20 2015, 22:03

Thanks yes I have done the loud music/TV before, but I can't do that every day when I leave the house just in case there's a storm lol. The last couple of storms I have had her wrapped round me shaking like a leaf and panting for England and I am really worried about one happening when no-one is home. From what you have said the CDs are definitely worth a try thumbs up
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Jul 21 2015, 10:45

Sorry I can't offer any advice here but do let us know how you get on with the CD

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Jul 21 2015, 13:41

We used them for trains. As Rach said I think the the vibrations play a role as well but the CD certainly won't hurt
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21 2015, 15:15

As well as noise, there are so many things with storms that add to the whole. There's a change in air pressure, there's often strong wind and driving rain. A dog may not be scared of wind and rain in themselves but become so because of association.

I think that's why I found no change at all using the CD with Bobbert. We cracked fireworks - at one stage he could actually sleep through them instead of trying to dig through the floor or climb out of closed windows - and we did make major progress with storms if I was there, but if I was out I'd come back to find a skirting board ripped off, a door chewed, or something.

But, that's just that one dog so it's certainly worth a try. For what it's worth, the most effective thing I found for noise desensitisation overall was pairing it with food from the very earliest moment possible, being super happy with every bang 'yay, fab bang, have a treat' and putting him on the lead to restrict the amount of pacing that would wind him up even further.

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Sun Nov 01 2015, 17:56

Just an update to the original post. No luck with CDs, she just didn't have the same reaction as she does to the real thing. So I bought an Adaptil diffuser and omg it's made a massive difference. She is so much calmer during fireworks. Most evenings at the moment she stays on the sofa next to the diffuser even when no-one is in there with her. Last night (Halloween) there were so many and so close (it was like having someone on the doorstep with a machine gun Surprised ) that she needed some comfort from me but it was still nothing like as bad as it usually is. She was scared but not shaking. I even managed to interest her in a chew, something she won't do when she is really scared. I'm so relieved I have found something that helps dancing
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sun Nov 01 2015, 18:06

really glad you have found some thing that works Big Grin
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01 2015, 19:57

That's really useful to know, and a great result for you. Hopefully this is just the start of her learning that fireworks and storms aren't quite as bad as she previously feared.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Nov 01 2015, 19:59

Brilliant news Big Grin

Noise phobia desensitisation - does it work? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by beecee Tue Nov 03 2015, 06:43

Good result , but different to mine in that ingot no benefit at all from Adaptil as a calming agent , and I used a YouTube clip ( fireworks for dogs ) that's eleven mins long of fireworks sounds , had no problems at all over the weekend , that said it was MissyMoos first Halloween so I can't really say how she would have reacted without the YouTube clip .

beecee

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MissyMoo
Dog(s) Ages : 27-07-2015
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Tue Nov 03 2015, 09:57

Nice one. Glad it seems to have worked for her Smile
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down