Rash or Parasites?

5 posters

Go down

Rash or Parasites? Empty Rash or Parasites?

Post by my1stStaffyBull Sun Sep 30 2012, 23:42

Well about a week ago I noticed what would appear to be roundworm or something on my 2YR old (tomorrow) Staffy Bull pups chest. It was a perfect circle, see pictures below, but the middle hadent filled in with dry red itching looking skin like in the picture which was taken a few days after; it still looks like this and isnt going away it doesnt appear. Originally it looked almost like a hula hoop (inner and outer ring) and the developed into the picture you see below. The just today I noticed a very-raised mole looking thing on his hind leg around the knee area which are the other two pictures. I am starting to get concerned with these things popping up? I would like to get some advice from fellow owners/staffy lovers as on what to do? We are kind of pressed right now $$$ wise so I would like to avoid taking him to the vet if at all possible but understand that I will if I absolutely must or we cant figure out whats going on or how to treat here.

Thanks in advance,
J

Rash or Parasites? 20120926_204449

Rash or Parasites? 20120930_182213

Rash or Parasites? 20120930_182235

Last edited by my1stStaffyBull on Sun Sep 30 2012, 23:57; edited 1 time in total

my1stStaffyBull
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rash or Parasites? Empty Re: Rash or Parasites?

Post by janey Sun Sep 30 2012, 23:51

I have never seen it myself so not much help XX
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Sun Sep 30 2012, 23:58

Thanks Janey, im hoping someone here can help. I know hes a white furbaby and is more sensitive than others but this cant be normal.

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 00:13

The chest pic looks a bit like ringworm, but if it was, I'd have thought it would have spread.

A trip to the vet is called for, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Mon Oct 01 2012, 00:19

yes in the beginning before it filled in I was nearly certain it was ringworm, but then it filled in and looked more scabby in the whole circle. Also we have come into comtact with it and he even slept in our bed one night since and we hasvent contracted it ourselves.

Then all the sudden he gets this bump on his leg to which looks very raised and there is still hair there but it looks scabby under it all.

to the vet it is or should I just try a lime sulfer dip and some goodwinol ointment? Also it doesnt seem that the lab, his brother has it, or the cat... but I dont know. I guess they all could.

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 00:24

I must admit that ringworm is my only sugestion. It doesn't look like an allergic reaction to either a bite, a sting or contact with a foreign substance.

I've never used a lime sulfer dip or goodwinol ointment so I've no idea how effective they'd be.

n.b. After looking goodwinol up online, I don't think I'd use it at all - it sounds very harsh.

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Mon Oct 01 2012, 00:31

ok well then what would you suggest for the treatment of roundworm? I hate to forgo a professional opinion but if I can try for a few days to treat it with a medicated shampoo or ointment and see if it clears up and wash all the bedding I would gladly forgo the $80-100 office visit price not included testing. My vet is expensive...

If it is not life threatening lol I would prefer to try and treat it and then take him to the vet if the problem persist after trying to treat for ringworm. I know it may be delaying the inevitable but am I a bad owner for wanting to try first?

Thanks Caryll you are always so much help!

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 07:27

Don't think you should be trying out your options, you should really be taking a trip to the vet because you really don't know what it is. If you know what it is and have a tried and tested treatment then fair enough but I think you need some expert advice.
Personally I haven't a clue from the pictures so thast is exactly where I would be going , I know sometimes they can be a drain on our finances but that's the pleasures of owning a dog I'm afraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 01 2012, 12:09

I agree with Dave. If you don't know that it's ringworm, you shouldn't really treat for it. You never know how much harm you could do if it's something else.

Last edited by Caryll on Mon Oct 01 2012, 21:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 01 2012, 12:18

I've added some pictures of a dog with ringworm below, hope it can help you to identify what your dog has. I think you should get your dog to the vet asap:

http://www.jonkragh.com/index.php/dog-ringworm-photos-diagnosis-and-cure/
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Oct 01 2012, 16:55

U mention an inner and outer ring originally, this makes me think of tick bite.

Get him checked soon as by a vet. Some tick can transmit Lyme disease but antibiotics will prolly be needed as a precaution.

Let us know how u get on x
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Mon Oct 01 2012, 21:39

I think what's on the tummy looks more like ringworm than Lyme. Lyme isn't usually that scaly, we see tons of Lyme here in the mid-Atlantic. Having said that, I don't know about the bump on the leg. I don't know if ringworm can be that raised? (though it can on the scalp in people).

I was actually coming to this section of the forum to post that Callie had a faint, bumpy, salmon-colored rash on her snout that I thought was ringworm, thought I'd treat for a few days before taking her to the vet. It seems to be improving quickly . I wondered if anyone else had seen dog nose ringworm?

BTW I'm using something with clotrimazole in it, that's what we do for people.
micheled
micheled

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Oct 01 2012, 22:42

Tbh, if ur dog isn't wormed regular for such things as ringworm
Etc, I'd get to the vets or vet nurse for a consultation. Can't be too careful, and nipping things in the bud is better ! C
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02 2012, 10:58

Jackieb wrote:Tbh, if ur dog isn't wormed regular for such things as ringworm
Etc, I'd get to the vets or vet nurse for a consultation. Can't be too careful, and nipping things in the bud is better ! C

Ringworm isn't actually a worm, it's a fungal infection so it wouldn't be covered by wormers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down