Puppy terrorizing cats

2 posters

Go down

Puppy terrorizing cats Empty Puppy terrorizing cats

Post by JustTam Thu Jan 20 2011, 07:51

Hi, first post.. so glad I found this forum! We have 2 cats an older 14 year old female and a 2 year old male. They got along great with our old Staffy who passed away in October. Poppy our 4 month old puppy has been with us since the end of October.

She constantly chases the cats barking at them and climbs up on the couch or chair and gets right in their face barking non stop. The cats have both taken swipes and drawn blood quite a bit but she still persists.

I firmly tell her no and to get down (when she listens which isn't often I praise her for listening) however; much of the time I have to go and remove her from the couch and give her a time out. This has been going on for nearly 2 months and she just isn't getting it. Any ideas?
JustTam
JustTam
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

http://www.tamstreasuresonline.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Puppy terrorizing cats Empty Re: Puppy terrorizing cats

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:02

I have the same Issues too.. so I would be eager to here what the others have to say..
My poor cat is now on the attack rather than wait for Holly to come to him lol

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:03

Hiya and welcome. Never had a cat and a dog! Never had a cat acctually, so I'm gonna be pretty useless, sure someone here can help though!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by JustTam Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:46

glad I'm not the only one. My older cat use to be terrorized by the younger cat until Poppy came along and now he's getting a dose of his own medicine.
JustTam
JustTam

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JustTam Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:49

Your puppies are both adorable! Do you have to get to a certain amount of posts before you can put an avatar on?
JustTam
JustTam

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 09:59

I'm afraid I'm not much help, either. i don't have a cat, and if I did, Dempsey would eat it. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 09:59

I've never had a pup and kitten togethor either but i no when mine see's one on walks its a must chase! :S lol .. i'd try distraction's maybe? so whenever you think she's going to go and annoy the cats try distracting her with toys or something? ... but never had this issue myself so im not sure lol

Back to top Go down

Post by JustTam Thu Jan 20 2011, 10:12

Your Vinny looks just like my Poppy! I do use distractions when I can which doesn't always work. I'd just love for her to leave them alone. You see all these cute videos on youtube of cats and dogs laying together licking each other and I think awwww that's never going to happen here !! lol
JustTam
JustTam

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 10:15

Have you tried installing baby gates? That way, even if Poppy makes a nuisance of herself, the cat can escape. Hopefully, after a while, Poppy will calm down enough to just accept the cats & vice versa.

Back to top Go down

Post by JustTam Thu Jan 20 2011, 10:20

Yes, bought a baby gate last week and that has helped a bit. The older cat stays downstairs and the younger cat stays upstairs. I work in an office upstairs so Poppy stays with me most of the time. But when we go down to use the garden or for her to eat she shoots straight over to the cat.

I know you shouldn't use a crate as punishment but today she was barking at the cat and not listening when I said no and get down so I asked if she wanted to go in her cage? and she was off the couch and on the floor like a bolt of lightening.
JustTam
JustTam

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 10:25

Crates can be used very effectively as 'time out'. As long as you don't shout & scream at them when you put them in there, it's fine!

Dempsey's crate was the best investment I've ever made, when he was between about 5 months and 12 months he was an absolute b****r! He was always being sent to his crate just so we could get some peace & he could calm down without being told off all the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 20 2011, 11:12

God I am so glad you said that caryll... cause a few times, while we are eating and the blooming puppy is chasing the cat... where do you think he landed... on the dinning table up high to get away from her... so enough is enough and I distracted her.. made it positive and bribed her into her crate... she is in there now when we eat otherwise it is just a zoo lol

Things will settle down with you cats i promise... tonight Holy was so tired from puppy school she walked in the door... licked the cats nose and flopped on the cool tiles.. no barking just layed there.... I think the cat was shocked too lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down